View Single Post
Old 08-29-2006, 05:00 PM   #40
WhoMe
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazben
Good point, and that's the way it should be.
In some cases this membership has nothing to do with blood quantum. With at least two nations that I know of, enrollment is based on historic Federal Rolls. There were "affiliated whites" on some of those rolls. There were also people of those nations who did not sign, for various reasons, and therefore were not enrolled.
Even if DNA science advances to the point that a test can tell you what nation your ancestors belonged to, that doesn't automatically make you a member of that nation.
Not trying to start any fights or open any worm cans. Just stating the facts.
Hazben,

This is so true. There are many white individuals whose ancestors signed these federal roles but have didn't have Indian blood. There are decendents of black slaves who have no Indian blood, whose ancestors signed some federal roles as well. They are called 'freedmen.'

There are several southeastern tribes who are facing the issue of whether or not to allow freedmen to remain on their tribal roles. I think this is significant. Come to think of it some Cali tribes have also kicked out some of their members whose ancestors were supposedly not Indian but signed roles.

I certainly wouldn't want any nonIndians whose ancestors signed a paper on my tribal roles. Would you?

*L several freedmen have brought their internet ordered DNA tests to court!

Last edited by WhoMe; 08-29-2006 at 05:03 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook