BlueWolfSpirit
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BlueWolfSpirit is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakopataki
Several of them will never accept ANYTHING I have to say and some are listening. The ones giving me a hard time defend the killing of Indians from the time of Columbus, and deny millions were killed from that time on.
They don't believe that there were millions at all, and say that since I can't produce the bones to prove it, then I am lying.
I really have no hope of teaching some of them anything, but I want to be able to teach the ones who are listening.
When My son was about 12, and my grandmother nearing 96 many, many, yrs. ago, she told my son one day, by grabbing his arm, her eyes filling full of tears, telling him that he was looking too Indian that day, and that he had to be careful or someone might hang him. She knew fellow Indians that had been hung when she was young and feared for his safety. She had been thinking about her youth when she saw him walk into the room. I remember how it shook him up and how it has never left him. You can't explain this to someone looking in from a world that doesn't see what others have been through.
Wakopataki I am glad you posted. It stirred up a lot of ideas in me...

I can't help you with numbers, facts and history (I'm sure there are others who will), but there are a number of things that I'd like to share.

Teach the ones who are listening - PLEASE. Don't waste time on people who demand "proof"... They will never believe you even if you *had* the bones right in front of them with a counter. They would still find some excuse to explain it all away. [People like that don't believe the numbers of the Jewish (and others) Holocaust and they have bones, numbers and documentation.] When you run into a doofus like that, just remember - "You can't teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of time and annoys the pig."

There's always someone listening. It may not be who you expect, but teach them anyway. It may be what survives long after those books are obsolete and discredited.

It may be no consolation now, but look at the things we're finding out about the Egyptians *thousands* of years later. There are instances where the names of previous pharoahs were scratched out, murders that were unknown until this time, and plenty of lies that passed for 'history' for a long time. Eventually the truth is discovered.

And there are many of us who know exactly what you're talking about with your grandmother and son (unfortunately so). I live about 15 minutes from Puzzles Lounge - where Jason Robida took an axe to one man and shot a few others in a gay bar. I remember hearing about the death of Matthew Shepard. (He was driven to a remote area, tied to a split-rail fence, tortured, beaten and pistol-whipped by his attackers, while he begged for his life; he was then left for dead in near freezing temperatures.) I remember Stonewall. And yes, I've been beat up on the street by strangers just for 'looking gay'... (Can you imagine what they would have done if I had actually been holding hands or kissing someone?)

But I don't let any of that stop me from being me. There's a lot to be said about 'safety in numbers'... And all good people should gather together. We're all fighting the same evil...
BlueWolfSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook