View Single Post
Old 09-21-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
subeeds
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I asked my Grandfather once why nobody in the family that he ever spoke of lived on a reservation. He told me that when his Grandfather was young, he was a Dog Soldier. when it became unsafe anymore for them to be with the Cheyenne, he took them away. Grandfather also said that he would not take money from the whites because the more they gave, the more Indian spirit they took away. He told me that the "official" (I always took that to mean BIA or some such group) birth and death certificates had been destroyed in some kind of fire. Even though I have the blood degree for enrollment, I can't prove it and don't really care to prove it. In my spirit, I am Cheyenne and that's all I need. I hate to see the stories and languages disappear.In my search for bead patterns I have come across some university web sites that seem to want to preserve Native culture,at least the artistic parts. I haven't looked to closely into what else is on their sites. Why can't it be done by Tribal members? Record the stories from the elders, write them down, so they can be passed on for generations. As far as I'm concerned, these are treasures more valuable than gold and need to preserved by whoever can preserve them be they Indian or white and I think Indian would be better. Once these things are lost, they will be forever lost and that would be a tragedy for all. This has been my 2 cents worth, for now, I am off my soapbox. Edit : Sorry I got OT here. I got sidetracked by the first couple of posts talking about losing the culture. I really have no business in this thread as far as tribal enrollment goes.

Last edited by subeeds; 09-21-2006 at 07:39 PM..
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook