View Single Post
Old 10-20-2000, 12:12 AM   #11
lightningflash
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond reputelightningflash has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hi there,

I am kinda new to this forum, but I thought I'd add my two cents...

I live in the Pac NW and go to powwows all over Washington/Oregon and sometimes California/Idaho/Montana. I don't know about all-women drums, but up here anymore you be hard-pressed to find a powwow where at least half of the drums didn't have one or a few women sitting at the drum. I don't know their individual cases, but some of them have been included in their family of singers, some are part of urban tribally-mixed drums, etc. I have never seen it to be a problem here. I know that in the south it is generally unaccaptable for women to sit at the drum, so I guess you'd have to go with whatever was accepted in your area. And as for women not knowing what they are doing at the drum, some do and some don't. I have heard some women singers who kick a$$, and have won drum contests over all the males...
lightningflash is offline   Share with Facebook