View Single Post
Old 11-16-2000, 12:07 AM   #3
kahkakew

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
As some are aware, I sing with a group of Chilcotin youth from on of the isolated rreserves I work with...I am well known for composing many songs, some I translated from Cree to their language, but the majority of songs I composed for this drum was done in consultation with their elders.
First of all Chilcotin is a Dene language, almost identical to Navajo, it is like chinese when comparing to Cree.
The songs we composed and put words to tell of the bands and tribes sacred areas, legends, past leaders, chiefs and warriors and significant cultural and social events...and they are all in Chilcotin.
Learning to sing in this language was the greatest challenge as Pow-wow style does not favor this language when singing.
To this point we have 16 songs in the Chilcotin language which we claim the rites to. They are 2 Eagle staff songs, 2 crow hops, 2 round dances songs, 1 vicotry song, 1 retiring the flags song, 1 shake, 1 sneak up, 2 honor songs and 4 intertribal songs.
We may ask the band to fund the recording of these songs to acknowledge the youth and their efforts.
I have also translated songs from Cree in Secwepmecw(Shuswap) for funerals, wakes and sweat. This was done to help members of this tribe to connect to singing and feel more part of the ceremony..shuswap is not much easier than Chilcotin...but it sure feels good to hear them singing or trying to in ceremony!

Kahkakew
  Share with Facebook