View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #6
Lakota Wiyan
THE Lakota Wiyan

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I think most tribes have their own views of "gay/lesbian" people, but I can only tell you what I know about "our" Winkte. These were men who did women's work, and dressed and behaved like a woman. I know that a few of them would live together and keep house together, but as is EVERYONE's right, their sexual life was never NEVER EVER a topic of discussion. That was between them, if they wanted to, just like any heterosexual person. But, since these Winkte were more women than men, I don't image they would be intimate, like in a Homosexual way, but then again, who cares!!!!????!!! Gah, I can't believe I'm talking about this.....Got the indian blush going on now.....

I don't think that the European/Wasicu way of looking at people with different lifestyles can be directly applied to our cultures, regardless of what tribe you are from. Their was is very judgemental and full of fear. In my own tribe, men worry about men things, women worry about women things, and when they had to get together and worry about the tribe, I don't think that anyone's sexuality was a factor in who had a voice or rights, and who did not. The Winktes I know are extraordinarily gifted in beadwork, sewing, quillwork, or singing and dancing. They are also good horsemen (people??), and from my own experience, they make the best, the VERY best babysitters.....but oooooweeeee....the winktes I know sure can gossip....even more than ME!!
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook