View Single Post
Old 11-22-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
DaCotau
Kimimila

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House
When I was young and somewhat dumb.....Our NDN student association was having a powwow, so I attended a powwow meeting. Much to my suprise there were several people (non-Indians) who attended the meeting and offered support.....hey that was fine, no problem....BUT as we went around the room and introduced ourselves. A woman explained how she was a member of a group who encountered similar racist and ignorant "isms" that skins experienced....As she continued I sat there wondering where she was going with this? Eventually she said she was a Lesibian....well I said I was young and somewhat dumb.....I cut her right off and asked; "what does your sexuality have to do with me being Indian?" Mind you my delivery was by far not sugar coated.....Looking back I did not have to be so extreme, but again I was young and naive....

My point.....Keep your dogs out of my backyard....
Although I am sure this woman made her statements with the best of intentions (I guess she was trying to forge some kind of connection), I personally would have been embarassed for her (and maybe a little angry too) had I been there. Obviously you were not the only naive one that day.