View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #37
Elke
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Elke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant futureElke has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge Water Kid
What I heard....
The Cheyenne claim it as a dance belonging to their Bow String Society. The history that I got was that over a battle between the Cheyenne and Kiowa on Walnut Creek in the Tx Panhandle in 1840. The Cheyenne Bowstrings were camped there and the Kiowa discovered them dancing. Kiowas expressed peaceful intent and interest in learning the dance...Cheyennes taught them and then the Kiowa wiped out all the Bowstrings...40+ Cheyennes. Later, a lasting peace was established between the two tribes and they along with the Comanche and Arapaho became an effective barrier against anybody who tried to cross or live in their territory. The Bowstrings were re-organized and called Owl Man's BowString Society or later just the BowString's. Several of the songs the Kiowa use as GD songs are also used today as BowString Society songs. I guess the Bowstrings still dance today and Iíve heard they still have a few original songs that the Kiowa didn't steal.

Then I heard the Kiowa stole it from the Comanche war society called Little Horses and Big Horses, and that many of the songs were old Comanche Sun Dance songs...called Big Arbor songs, and that some of the songs were made by Post Oak Jim for individual Comanche families as brush dance songs

There's also several songs the Ponca use for Soldier Dance and Scalp Dance.

I found also something like this in www some time ago.

http://exhibits.denverartmuseum.org/...ilverGourd.htm

had to search for it again, but it was still there...

Reg. Elke

Last edited by Elke; 01-13-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Elke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook