View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Zambo
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
I know alot of you are gonna look at me cross eyed for saying this, but.... does this person have the right to identify as he wishes? WHY does he have to choose his native side? If he did'nt grow up being raised with the culture and does'nt "feel it in his heart", then why can't he?

Seriously, at least he is'nt saying, oh hey, I should go register cause then I can legally have indian feathers and maybe get some money and free college out of this. You certainly don't want to turn him into an "instant indian" where he starts annoying people because then he suddenly has read a few books and "knows more than his relatives on the reservation know". I mean, how many times have we heard that line? Or get so gung ho that he starts "acting indian" because suddenly one day he's decided he's proud of it... right?

Lord knows he'll get called wannabe and whatever else anyhow for not looking indian, and if he was'nt raised in it then he's not going to culturally be one, so why "convince" him to be one?

One day he might take more interest in it all by himself without anyone's pushing or "feeling sorry for him". So let him be who he wants to be. He descends from both and has every right to live one way or another if he so chooses.
Oh I agree but he dosen't even care, its weird every single person at my school who is NDN (all 4 or 5 out of 1000) either don't care,don't want to know, or don't think about it. I don't have a problem not considering himself NDN or even biracial, but he needs to acknkowledge his roots, that is what truly pisses me off, and i think about this alot why am I someone who is a "waterblood" caring alot on my Native bloodline while thoughs who are 1/2 and 1/4 don't care
Zambo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook