View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Zambo
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant futureZambo has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
At the risk of being rather blunt, being able to "pass" has great advantages. We who are fair can structure our identity as we want, without the downside of falling within a phenotype treated by distrust or dislike by dominant culture. We don't walk around getting the "get away from me you dirty Indian" look, or being stopped for driving in the wrong part of town, or having the salesperson follow us through the store. We experience at least superficial inclusion from the institutions of larger society, so we concentrate on gaining a similar level on inclusion and participation within Native society.

It is quite understandable that those, who by virtue of phenotype do not have the option of escaping prejudice, might not wish to engage in activities that increase their feeling of separation.
As you can notice Im not pale I get all those looks and when I drive most likely will be stopped and on many a time been followed by a salesmen. i dont pass but I can understand a person passing for white, many of my family have passed for white since the beginning of our history.Oh would bring him to a powwow be good
Zambo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook