Thread: Recent history
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
FluteMaker
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
Ohhhhh yes!

I already have some great interviews and plan on videoing a good one in February.

I have the story from the Umon'hon' (Omaha), how it was transferred to the Santee Dakota, then to the Hidatsa.

If I don't video this information ... I don't know who else will?

So far, I have not heard that women were a part of the grass dance ceremony or "that anybody actually stomped (laid) down the grass" as told in powwows.

ok tell me just one thing.....
ive heard three versions of where the grass dance came from...

theres the popular powwow story of trampling the grass for setting up camp or for a gathering...

theres the one story here on pw.c about the guy with the lame foot who wanted to dance real bad so he came up with grass dance...

and then theres the one that says the grass dance started on the rez(in the early days) because the army guys wouldnt let the people hunt or teach the youngins how to stalk game. so they came up with the grass dance to teach youngins to move like the prarie grass and do it without the army guys catching on.

so which is it? one of them or something else altogether?

and btw.... i have seen one female grass dancer. at the time it was the oddest thing i had ever seen at a powwow. it was at the 1998 return to pittimitoui powwow in illinois.
she wasnt bashfull about it at all, she dressed right out in the open and was wearing a white sports bra under the regalia. it was either a woman or a guy with A cups
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook