Thread: Ponca Songs
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
RedShield
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I have one question to ask... do you have any Poncas on your drum? As a lead singer... I get nervous singing songs that belong to other nations, and almost as a rule don't do them without express permission from a singer of that nation, and even then... not until I have it 100% correct and verified that I am singing it right from the singer that gave me permission to sing it.

I always caution people that ask about singing songs of another nation, that unless they know that they are singing them 100% correct, that it might be a good idea not to sing them out. I also warn against listening to a cd and learning it (9 times out of 10... more like guessing at it) because some groups I have run across have recorded songs that they shouldn't have. I never want to offend anyone, so if I'm not sure, I don't do it, I stick to the songs I know... or compose something to fit what we need.

So again, back to the original question... if you have a Ponca sitting on your drum, ask, if they don't know... have them ask someone else they know that is more knowledgable to come help out... if not... make your own decisions, but I recommend sticking to the rule of thumb... if you're not sure... don't do it.

Good luck...

Paselo~