View Single Post
Old 02-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Historian
Experienced

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lightbulb "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" - the movie

Here we go again...

This is what I know so far.

"Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"

Coming to HBO, May 2007

The 2.5 hour television film is an adaptation of author Dee Brown's book from 1971, "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West."

The dramatization starts with the Lakota victory over General Custer at the Battle of Little Bighorn and ends with the Massacre at Wounded Knee. Along the way, it intertwines the perspectives of three characters:

Charles Eastman (played by Adam Beach), a Dartmouth-educated Sioux doctor, held up as living proof of the alleged success of assimilation.

Sitting Bull (played by August Schellenberg), the Lakota leader who refuses to submit to U.S. Government policies designed to strip his people of their identity, their dignity and their land.

Senator Henry Dawes (played by Aidan Quinn), who was one of the architects of the U.S. Government Policy on Indian affairs.

While Charles Eastman (Adam Beach) and schoolteacher Elaine Goodale (Anna Paquin) work to improve life for the Indians on the reservation, Senator Dawes (Aidan Quinn) lobbies President Grant (Fred Dalton Thompson) for more humane treatment, opposing the stance of General William Tecumseh Sherman (Colm Feore). Hope rises for the Indians in the form of the prophet Wovoka (Wes Studi) and the Ghost Dance - a messianic movement that promises an end of their suffering under the white man. This hope is obliterated after the assassination of Sitting Bull (August Schellenberg) and the massacre of hundreds of Indian men, women and children by the 7th Cavalry at Wounded Knee Creek on 29 December 1890.

{adapted from: http://www.hbo.com/films/news/index.html }

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook