Old 09-11-2000, 10:44 PM   #3
Lone Fox
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Lone Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Beardancer:

Use an embroidery hoop to stretch your cloth, or buckskin out. Draw an outline of your pattern on it in pencil. These will be your guidelines.

1.) Using The One Needle Process:

Start at the center by sewing one bead at the center. Depending on the size of beads. Either Three or Four will fit, for your first half of first row around. This should fit just short of 180 degrees around the first bead that you sewed down. When you get the count of this. Then sew it down by passing the needle and thread through the material.
Go back two beads and come back up and through these beads again with thread. Now string the other half of first row. The other 180 degrees around the center bead. Pass needle and thread through the material, then back and up through the last two beads again.
Then down into the material again. The First complete circle row should be in place now. Move out to the next row by moving thread out a little bit on the backside of the material then coming up and through the material. Put four beads on the thread. Go down into the material, back up through the last two beads and just continue to do this until the rosette is complete. Picking up four beads at a time and sewing them down by coming back and up through the last two.

2.) Using The Two Needle Process:

Start the same way by sewing down a center bead.
Now one needle and thread is going to be used to thread the beads. While the other needle and thread are going to be used the stitch it down to the material.
Put as many beads on the needle and thread as required to go completely around the first bead. With the other needle and thread, every other bead will be stitched down to the material by coming up through the material and over the bead thread and back down through the material.
Do not pull this stitching thread too tight or you will get little bumps and ridges every other bead. Similar to a Lazy Stitch look. When you move out a row you could do the stitch thread every Third bead or even Fourth bead. I would not go any further then that or you will get the Lazy Stitch lumps again. By trying to put too many beads on between the stitching threads.

Those are the basics to Rosette making. They are also the same types of stitching for doing any Applique type Beadwork. Just following a pattern on material, not in a circle. But with applique beading you start by doing your outlines then infilling the beaded areas. That way you can pack the beads tighter into the center by fitting just one more row of beads into the area. Making for a tight fit on that last row of beads.

I prefer the one needle method myself. Seems to give me a more uniform type of appearance. But I have seen both done with beautiful results on Rosettes.

Does that answer your question.

Lone Fox

[This message has been edited by Lone Fox (edited September 11, 2000).]
Lone Fox is offline   Share with Facebook