View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
ntownn8ive
As you can see...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I know it's a southern thread but just adding some info.

The older fellas I learned to sing from would talk about the ol' man they learned from. (Ndn folks, especially up north will understand the "ol' man" status of a knowledgeable elder.)

He made it a point to teach them that singers, respected for their role in the community, knowledge of numerous family songs, and participation in ceremonies as well as social song/dance, were expected to carry themselves in a respectful manner around the drum. Long sleeve shirts, long pants, and a hat, not baseball cap, as long as it was taken off when it was time to sing. Clothes were to be well kempt and clean.

Interesting. I hadn't heard mention of this practice since the older fellas had mentioned it to me and my brother when we were younger.

And, as a confession, I'm guilty of wearing shorts at the big drum, too, and no they weren't daisy dukes! 'Round here, a reference to shorts would be considered your chonies, cut-offs are short pants....okay, continue

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook