View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 09:36 PM   #27
chickendad
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
chickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond reputechickendad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Just be who you are. Mix bloods will always be judged. Only you know who you really are inside. So be happy. I'm from the mountains of Virginia, we call ourselves Appalachian Cherokees because our people mixed with the whites after the Trail of Tears. We refused to register because in Viriginia at one time to have any other blood than white would not allow you to own land, go to school, vote, etc. Early cenuses in Virginia only allowed one to be white or black. Some would judge since I don't have the traditional look of a Native with black hair, so I went so far as to have a DNA test to prove my blood. Now I feel stupid for allowing myself to be pushed to such low standards. I know who I am and my family has always talked of our heritage. It's not totally Native, it's more folk, in that it's mixed between Native and hillbilly. Only when mixed, non rez Natives are also welcomed into the circle will our people really become one. It's said by some that even Crazy Horse had light skin and brown wavy hair. That he also was looked down upon when he was young. But look at what he became. So we have someone to look up to and hope to be accepted one day.
chickendad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook