View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #101
Traditonal Lady
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs up All right!!

I say we shouldn't be so concerned about who we marry, but more concerned about what we do after marriage. If your going to live with your people, bring that person in and have them contribute and be part of your community. You would strengthen your ways by doing so.

Plus, it sounds like many have bought into the governments blood quantum brainwashing. (Just to me), what makes you Native is your language, belief system/values, how you treat people and how you think. Historically, what did Native people do when they brought someone into their tribe, regardless of what background or ancestry they came from? They acculturated them....right?

If we don't quit fixating on this whole blood quantum mess, then one day the gov. is going to come at us with the argument that we arent' racially the same people any longer (because of the end result of the blood quantum 'system'. ~The example of this being, here in Oklahoma where you come across folks with ancestry who received allotments from many diff. tribes, because of the intermarrying making their descendants ineligible to registery with any of of their tribes because of the blood quantum requirements.) To prevent such an occurence, we should stay focused on keeping our ways (language, etc.) and we can make a case that we are still the same people regardless of their blood quantum system.

So, in the end, I say marry who you want...just do your darndest to bring them into the fold....aye...[/QUOTE]

I am in total agreement! I see someone else has the same mind frame I have. It warms my heart to know you are out there.