View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
RedShield
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Ok, here is my take on this...

The drum I sing with sticks to non-contest (there just aren't many contest pow wows up here, and that's where we end up singing.)

We won't sing a new song unless everyone on the drum knows it... once everyone knows it... we sing it as long as it is for the right categoy, and appropriate. But if its one of our own we want it to be right everytime we sing it.

People that travel the curcuit over here know we have a lot of songs we sing regularly, but also know they will hear something new from us everytime we set up... it keeps us current, not just stuck in a rut that people get bored with. This year we've decided, to sing the new stuff on Saturday and sing the old stuff on Sunday, it works for us, people get to hear the old songs they've come to know and get to hear new stuff besides... now... and then there's competition...

I've set up and sang competition with a few other drums in my time... most ask for no tricks right off the bat if they don't want them... stick to the guidelines. When I have danced competition, one of my elders once told me... be prepared to dance anything... I would sing my new ones for prelims and stick with the old standbys for finals... that way there are no misconceptions or bad blood... because afterall... think about it... how did the old standbys become old standbys... they had to get sung in order to become that... if you got a good one, and the guys know it... sing it! When those songs come they are meant to be shared... share them...

Just my 49 cents worth...

Paselo~