View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #350
SuzzeQ4
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post
How about getting back on track with the original question.

What is most important to you, that Whites know about our people?

Perhaps looking at a few other questions may help.

What are the most common myths and stereotypes about NDN people that you would like to see dissolved?

How who you go about educating the dominant White society about the truths concerning NDN people?

Is it more important for white society to be educated on the detailed diversity of hundreds of different tribes and nations with different cultures, traditions and languages, or is it more important for white society to be educated on the true common factors that are found in all NDN (Indigenous) cultures?

Is it important that white society knows that NDN people can come together at Pow-Wows, with different cultural backgrounds, yet be unified in their desire to be good and kind and helpful, and show high ideals of sharing and giving?
As far as myths to be dissolved, I think the begining of this thread was covering that well if I remember.

I don't think whites need to know about all the diversity between our people but they need to know that it is there, that we are different Nations with different cultures but that yep, we got true common factors as you say

I think it is very important for whites to learn that dispite all our differences we do come together, celebrate together, powwow together etc. I think this is the 2nd most important thing that they learn about us. Here's why i think so. Most of the wars have been between Christians, Jews & Muslims, three religions that have more in common with each other compared to all the different NDN Nations, yet from the crusades to today it's just holy war after holy war. I think these three religions could learn a hell of a lot from us.

The other important thing that North Americans need to learn about us is history, from the last 500 years up to currant events. They need to learn that when they say, "well that was hundreds of years ago, it's not my fault, blah blah, blah" that they are responsible for what is happening today on the American continents, because it is not over. They need to learn about what the treatys actually say, what a treaty means, what the international community considers a treaty to be, that under international law, just because a treaty is old, doesn't mean that you can forget about it etc, etc. They need to learn the definition of genocide as described by the Geneva convention. They need to know that Blacks were not the only people enslaved & that Jews were not the only or the largest genocide. Then maybe they will understand why we are ticked off & still fighting. i could go on but I think I've made my point.

Suzze

Last edited by SuzzeQ4; 08-06-2007 at 07:30 PM..
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook