View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #93
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
I agree with both of you. Knowledge is power, very much so and have told my children that all their lives. And you don't share certain infomation with just everyone you meet. If they are to know what's what that will come from the right people, not me---I have too much more to learn. I am no teacher by any means.

Josiah, I don't know why they gave you such a hard time. Maybe, it's because they are so close to where all the Cherokee once lived that they think that they know more. Here we are a little farther away and maybe that's it. I really don't know. But, at the pow wow that I was at a month ago there were more then 3 Cherokee "Chief's" and I about fell over. I met one of them last year and said (very nicely) "Oh, you are in one of those groups?" I was nice about it, but very firm as to what and who they were. He didn't come back near me the rest of that pow wow.

My relatives tell me that if I know that something is incorrect, then to speak up about it. Otherwise, just let those idiots do what they want. That's their words to me.

So many people seem to be looking for "Free money"---there's no such thing. I took a woman in Cherokee to the Indian health services one day and what I found was disappointing. She got right into the doctor's office (surprise one), she was only there for 15 min. (surprise two), then it took us over an hour and a half to get all the meds that he had perscribed for her and we had to go to three different places and most of her meds were addicting. I am not judgeing anyone there, but the way that it was done just really blew my mind. But that's what happens when there is very little to help so many and most people don't see it this way. They just hear stories and say "Oh it's free!" Nothing is totally free without some kind of cost.
I think it was because if they can get a "Brown Indian" in there group it makes them legit!!! So it made them recruit harder, I thought it was kinda funny actually at the time! I had never heard of any of these groups and was not aware they existed
During this period I had just moved in from Washington state where I had lived for 20 years.
So it took me by surprise, when I left Oklahoma I only knew of 3 groups and all of those were Federally Recognized.

But now that I live back in Oklahoma and have done some researching and talking with folks around here I was astounded to discover over 200 groups that claim they are Cherokees, probably close to 500,000 people!!!
I went Holy Crap!!!

In reality only about 76,000 live in Oklahoma and that is CNO's and UKB's
And about 2500 in North Carolina of the Eastern Band
The rest are well....

Last edited by Josiah; 08-22-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook