Thread: Societies
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 08:42 AM   #49
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowbum49 View Post
Josiah

Keep in mind that not all the groups that are called societies are true clans/societies like Kiowa gourd clan. For most of the groups it is not a true ceremonial. As gourd dancing became mainstreamed into Oklahoma powwows group sprang up that did not view the dance the same as Kiowa gourd clan. There are many groups around the country and even in Oklahoma that are more like powwow club than societies. I think these groups could have chosen better terms than clan or society to have in their names since that implies a ceremonial to me, but hey they never ask my opinion. They are made up of people that enjoy gourd dancing and want to promote it. Many of the groups are tax exempt organizations that provide aid to others. White star for example works every year to collect funds that it donates to a Kiowa education fund that provides college scholarships for Kiowa kids that are attending or planning to attend University.

Are all these groups sanctioned by the Kiowa... I very seriously doubt it. Are they accepted and welcomed by the Kiowa...by some Kiowa yes and others no. I know White star has been ask to Co Host dances in Oklahoma with other Kiowa groups, but to my knowledge it is not a "sanctioned" group.

Also keep in mind that other tribes claim to be originators of the dance and have promoted it's spreading as well. I doubt these groups/clan/societies ask the Kiowa if it is ok to give the dance to others.

just some food for thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kiowa4u View Post
from what's been told to me and many other Kiowa's, our dance has a very serious meaning to our lives as Kiowa. Other tribes again claim sort of origination which is a misnomer and only the Kiowas are the sole owners of this dance and song. i'm not going into detail why, but like i've stated in other post on this website, THIS IS A KIOWA DANCE! HAS BEEN SINCE THE CREATION OF TIME OF OUR PEOPLE WHEN THEY DWELLED IN THE CANANDIAN ROCKIES AND NORTHERN TERRITORY OF MONTANA. IT WASN'T GIVEN TO ANY OTHER TRIBE BUT THE KIOWAS, IN THE LATTER YEARS THROUGH PEACE WITH OTHER TRIBES THIS DANCE WAS GIVEN TO SHOW THEIR BROTHERHOOD AND ALLIANCE AND THIS IS WHERE ALOT OF YOU PEOPLE MISUNDERSTAND AND TAKE THIS OUT OF CONTEXT THAT OTHER TRIBES HAD THIS DANCE. WHEN THE KIOWA'S BACK THEN MEANT FOR THIS DANCE TO BE TAKEN CARE OF PROPERLY AND ORDERLY MANNER BUT THEN THE YOUNGER GENERATION EITHER LOST INTEREST OR DIDN'T FOLLOW PROTOCOL AND MADE UP THINGS AS THEY WENT ON WITH THIS DANCE. THEREFORE, YOU GET THINGS MESSED UP AND MISINTERPRETED AND SOCIETIES OF MEN TRY TO CLAIM SANCTION BY THESE KIOWA'S GOURD DANCE GROUPS SOLELY BECAUSE OF MEMBERSHIP OR TO BE LOOKED UP TO OR THEY CLAIM OWNERSHIP TO THIS DANCE WHEN ORIGIN COMES FROM THE RED WOLF FAMILY AND DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THE MEANING BEHIND THE HISTORY OF HOW RED WOLF WAS GIVEN THIS SONG FIRST AND THEN THE DANCE AND FEAST. I SAY THIS BECAUSE I'M FROM THE KINEP BAND AND THE REE BAND OF THE KIOWA. AH-HOOOOE!! SAUT-GYAH-DAH
This is precisely my point in all of this
I am very aware that this is a very special dance to the Kiowa
and very old!!!
But in modern times after it was revived (1950's) It has been giving to other tribes and groups
I was trying to see to whom...
There are alot of very Knowledgable people on this website
and After reading the Post that Zotigh posted a few years back I saw that that woould be a good thing to know how many groups were out there and where did they come from...

I am very aware that there are groups that spring up and just do there own thing...
But I am also fasinated to find for instance the Omaha seem to have took the time to come to Oklahoma and do things the "Proper Way" All the way from Nebraska!!!