Thread: Societies
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #50
Josiah
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
I have a question for Gourd Society Dancers (please forgive me if I am saying it wrong). I was in OK a few years back and my girlfriend whose father is a Tiai-Piah society dancer and we went to one of these dances while I was there. It was wonderful. As I sat there watching all the dancing and listening to what I could hear, he was a few people down from me explaining to his grandson about the dance and where it came from and some of how it started. I couldn't hear all that much, but the bits that I did hear sounded nice to me. I hadn't been to anything like (since I am not from OK)that and it was so nice to see something different.

Now for my question. We have run accross a gentleman who says that he is a Gourd Dancer and stated that for years. Just recently (in the past two years) we find that he says that he is a member of the: Cheyenne/arapahoe Silver Star Hawk Gourd Dance Society and that he was inducted in 1975 in Anadarko, OK. Does this society exist? Someone told us that he goes to Indiana to Gourd Dance and I don't know anythigng about that and my grilfriend doesn't believe it. Just wanted to know from anyone from there is this is actual?
Thanx
I will ask some CNA's that I know about this group...
But it has been in my experience the CNA's Gourd Dance yes, but dont ask the Kiowas to do so. So the idea that he was inducted in Anadarko in 1975 into a CNA Gourd Society by the CNA's I would find hard to believe since Anadarko is Kiowa country. Now if he had said Geary or Watonga or even Concho it could be plausible in a sorts because those are areas that the CNA's live.

CNA= Cheyenne and Arapaho