Thread: Cuttin' Up
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 01:04 PM   #17
ANGELO
native405pride

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond reputeANGELO has a reputation beyond repute
Location: from Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico, Canada, North and South Dakota, Kansas, California, Washington, Alaska, lol.
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
i concurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
There is no such thing as different categories for staight dance. It is is you heart and athletic ability to perform.
I've been dancing this dance my whole life and my father before that starting in the 1930's and before that my grandfather just before the turn of the century. my elders say I dance just like my grandfather. That being very fast. sometimes to skip when the song and my heart said so. To spin when I was looking for the tracks of my enemy.
My father and other Osage elders say people believe the stately style of straight dancing was considered the proper style because for years 1920's -1950's primarily only elders danced. Even among Osages, there were few dancers even tho our tribe was carrying on the same dance for over a hundered years. It almost died out. But as pride in being Indian came back to our people, people started to dance again and put younger people in in greater numbers.
But the truth is Osage people have always danced hard.
I hate to hear about this kind of changes and distortions of the history of our dance.
i definetly believe this post. we call contemp dancers contemp because as i was told by elders back in oklahoma that some dancers cant get that spirit. cuttin up is hard for them. lol. those songs tell stories of taunting the enemy and one should dance in the manner of the song. i remember when no young guyz danced straight. it was called the old man's dance. lol. Juaquin Hamilton was one of the first young guyz in oklahoma that could actually win at straight dance. he inspired a lot of young guyz to dance straight. we would only dance straght at tail dances, then we seen Juaquin, we all started to really want to dance straight. we would think of crazy things to do like gun moves or striking the enemy moves. i know i could get contemp, but now that im getting older i noticed that im going back old style. its funny cuz it seems that im placing more, lol. well, any wayz tdance the best way you can and remember to try to interpret the song that you're dancing to. i fyou know what u are dancing to then you can cutt up a lot easy.
ANGELO is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook