View Single Post
Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #18
MayChe
Minglin' N Jinglin'

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
I have to agree with Josiah, many make up stuff so that it sounds good. I have heard too many people telling me that their "Grandmother's" were full blood and hid out. I was told one this past summer that blew my mind. A woman told me that her family had hidden in a cave for generations and that her father was "Full Blood" Cherokee and that there were no documents on their family until her. She went on to say that the state had given her family that land as "Indian" land since they had lived their for so many generations. Then she proceeded to tell me that it was in her dad's "Will" that the land was not allowed to be sold outside of the family.

Okay, I looked at her and about fell over.

First of all--how many families were actually living in this cave or did they intermarry siblings? We are talking (supposedly) several generations here.
If she was the first one born outside of this cave and with an actual birth cert. how is it that her dad knew about Wills? Let alone to make one up before he died?
Then, if they were Indian, she really spoke very good English and didn't speak Cherokee at all. And I could go on.
And if the land had been given to them by the state in that way--then there would be documentation as to who they were and where they came from right there.
Then the state that she was talking about, I happen to have some experience researching in that state and know when they started keeping documents and how, actually, good their record keeping really was. So, I let her know about some of this and she walked away.

But this is just one of the many many wild stories that people come up with to prove their point and then to say that there were no records just seems to prove their points (in their eyes anyway), since there is "NO" way to check up on it.
Hid in a cave for generations???? Seriously????