PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   4th Annual Cherokee Youth Center Pow Wow (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/4th-annual-cherokee-youth-center-pow-wow-22536/)

Wojapi4Me 09-24-2004 02:50 PM

4th Annual Cherokee Youth Center Pow Wow

4th Annual Cherokee Youth Center Pow Wow

Saturday, November 13th
Cherokee Youth Center
Cherokee, NC

This is a community style pow wow for all ages. All drums and dancers are welcome!!! Admission is free for everyone!!

Guest Drums:
Young Spirit – Charleston, SC
Birdtown Crossing – Cherokee, NC
Mossy Creek – Morristown, TN

Head Staff:
Head Man: Victor Wildcatt
Head Lady: Nakoa Chiltoskie
Jr. Head Man: Cheyenne Arneach
Jr. Head Ladies: Carrie Wildcatt, Shoshoni West
Head Boys: Jeffrey Girty, Jace Girty, Dylan Girty, Jarrett Wildatt
Head Girls: Kimmemelah Perkins
MC: John John Grant
Jr. MC: Cody Wolfe
Arena Director: Greg Panther

Special Contests:
The champion of each of these winner-take-all contests will receive a trophy, embroidered jacket and Pendleton blanket.

*Jr. Boys Grass (7-15) sponsored by Healthy Cherokee
*Grass Dance (16+) sponsored by the Cherokee One Feather
*Jr. Men’s Fancy Dance (7-15) sponsored by the Cherokee Youth Soccer Assoc.
*Jr. Girls Fancy Shawl (7-15) sponsored by Healthy Cherokee
*Jr. Girls Jingle Dress (7-15) sponsored by Cherokee Boy’s Club
*Jingle Dress (16+) sponsored by Cherokee Choices
*Men’s Smoke Dance (all ages) sponsored by EBCI Travel and Promotion
*Tiny Tots (0-6) sponsored by Cherokee Youth Center – trophies only
*Women’s Smoke Dance (all ages) sponsored by Cherokee Diabetes and Wound Care

*Women’s Blowgun Contest (all ages) sponsored by Cherokee Teen Center – trophy to 1st place
*Men’s Blowgun Contest (all ages) sponsored by Cherokee Teen Center – trophy to 1st place

*Women’s Fancy Shawl (16+) in memory of Kay French (“Zintkala Luta Win” – Red Bird Woman)
winner-take-all Champion receives Shawl, Skirt, Shirt set

Sponsors: Allison Outdoor Advertising, Wal-Mart of Sylva, Newfound Lodge, Hardee’s of Cherokee, Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Hickory, Cherokee Enterprises, Cherokee Preservation Foundation, Warren Wilson College, Mountain Ford Inc., Cherokee Youth Center Board of Directors, Pepsi-Cola Bottling Company of Whittier

Giveaways, honorings, and specials are most welcome. Please arrange with Helen prior to Friday, Nov. 12. For more information, call Helen (828) 497-3119 or email: [email protected]

Paul G 09-28-2004 06:05 PM

PowWows.com will broadcast this event LIVE on the site!

Wojapi4Me 09-29-2004 09:41 AM

We're so excited to be able to have powwows.com attend our dance and broadcast it live here!!

Also happy to announce another special:

Men's Traditional Special (16+) sponsored by EBCI Cultural Resources - another winner take all (Jacket, Trophy, and Pendleton blanket)

All dancers and drums are invited and welcome! If your group would like to be one of our guest drums, please contact me here or at [email protected], and we'll talk about rooms and such.

Thanks again PaulG!!

Wojapi4Me 09-30-2004 11:02 AM

I'd like to announce another dance special:

Prairie Chicken Dance (all ages) sponsored by Snowbird Youth Center - another winner take all with champion receiving Jacket, Trophy, and Pendleton Blanket.

wannabeUrNo1Snag 10-01-2004 11:37 AM

ooo i wanna go...

Wojapi4Me 10-01-2004 12:03 PM

Come on over...or up..or down... :)

Everyone is welcome, and admission is free to everyone and everyone is fed as well. Geez, it is possible for me to use the word "everyone" anymore?

We do our best to make this as fun of a pow wow as possible with no attitudes or rudeness. Just lots of dancing and good singing.

Wojapi4Me 10-14-2004 09:47 AM

The pow wow committee is happy to announce that FancyStar will be serving as our head lady judge.

We also have another confirmed guest drum:

MGD singers from Lawrenceville, GA.

bwhite 10-14-2004 10:13 AM

Singerdad and Mrs. Singerdad do a great job putting this powwow together!!!!! Hope to see y'all soon.

tigger 10-14-2004 10:51 AM

am going to make it this time. i loved it the last time i was there and this time am going to stay for the whole thing. hopefully i will have my new outfit ready for this pow wow.

Wojapi4Me 11-05-2004 02:58 PM

Wanted to announced another special:

Women's Traditional Contest sponsored by Cherokee Teen Center

1st place winner-take-all: embroidered Jacket and a Pendleton Women's matching "set" : Tote bag, wallett, etc.

Coyot_In_The_House 11-05-2004 05:13 PM

Sounds like it's gonna be a Goot one.....

Remember those Moon Shadow Jr. days.....? Jon Jon's Announcing....I could see and hear him now....I miss Yuns!!! I do!

sutton's dad 11-08-2004 05:42 PM

singerdad, i hope that the weekend goes well. i had a great time last year, but unfortunately i won't be able to make it this year, but i'm going to try to catch a little of it online here at powwows.com. this is a great little powwow. lots of good people.

Wojapi4Me 11-09-2004 10:13 AM

We'll miss you this year tradish, but hope to see you soon.

This dance is coming up in a few days. Just wanted to reiterate that this dance is FREE to all, no dancer fees, no gate fees, no drum fees, no food fees, no jacket fees, nothing :)

FancyStar 11-09-2004 03:03 PM

Yeah, just a few more days! I am so excited. I am glad that Singerdad and Helen are giving me the chance to be Head Ladies Judge. If you tune in look for me. Little woman with big belly waddleing around trying to assert her authority!! LOL

Seriously, come out to this pow-wow. No politics just good old style pow-wow fun. Dancing,singing, visiting and eating! The four things that make a pow-wow great.

tigger 11-11-2004 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FancyStar
Yeah, just a few more days! I am so excited. I am glad that Singerdad and Helen are giving me the chance to be Head Ladies Judge. If you tune in look for me. Little woman with big belly waddleing around trying to assert her authority!! LOL

oh my god no way............

seriously, i hope that everyone has a safe trip and will see you there. this has always been a good pow wow.

singerdad......if you need any help, just let me know.

sutton's dad 11-14-2004 12:13 AM

well i watched a little bit of the powwow online today. it seemed like a good one. i wish i could've been there. there seem to be more dancers there this year. the drums sounded good. i hope everyone had a great time.

Wojapi4Me 11-15-2004 09:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who came or watched it online at pow wows.com! We had seven drums there for the evening session:
Awohali
MGD
Young Spirit
Mossy Creek
Otter Creek
High Water
Birdtown Crossing

Hope to see everyone again in 2005! :)

Paul G 11-15-2004 09:56 AM

Kelli and I had a great time! Thanks to the Committee and especially Scott and Helen!

Looking forward to next year!

tigger 11-15-2004 10:16 AM

millie and i and ayla had a blast, it was a great feeling pow wow like normal. and alot of good sounding singers. it felt good to sit and sing with otter creek singers again.

can't wait till ya'll have next years.

keith