Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk About Performers - Likely a stupid question About Performers - Likely a stupid question

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Jamimi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
About Performers - Likely a stupid question

Hi, I'm not Native and I've never been to a pow wow, so sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm really hoping to go to my first pow wow in April in Lebanon, IN. Anyway, are all the dancers, singers, staff, performers ndn?

I'd rather ask than just assume that I know the answer, lol.
You don't need a machine to make a rainbow. For rainbows are made of happy thoughts, and dreams, and chocolate unicorns, and gumdrops, and licorice sunsets, and fuzzy gumdrop bears, and sugar-coated chocolate gumdrop land.
(Meatwad, ATHF)
Jamimi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamimi View Post
Hi, I'm not Native and I've never been to a pow wow, so sorry if this is an obvious question. I'm really hoping to go to my first pow wow in April in Lebanon, IN. Anyway, are all the dancers, singers, staff, performers ndn?

Where to start
Without sounding obvious
ummm
no

Can I ask a question?
Have you read any posts on Powwows.com
For instance
What is a Powwow? it is in the window link to your left
Click on that and read
Throughly
Old 02-16-2007, 01:25 AM   #3
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:

That's hard to say at this point. At a powwow you never know who will show up to dance or drum unless they are under contract or some other sort of agreement.

The only advice I can give you is not to touch any ones regulia or a drum. If you take pictures of a dancer, ASK permission first. Listen to the announcer. There will be times to stand or not take pictures. Respect this advice and you should do just fine.

You may also want to read the Pow Wow Info to the left of your screen in the menus. This will give you some information on what to look for and help you understand.

Good Luck and Enjoy!
Ken

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
It really depends on the powwow. If you go to a powwow that is on an Indian reservation, the vast majority of participants and spectators are of NDN descent. A city powwow put on by a college's Native student club or a high school's Native program, will draw more of a mixture. But then you have what are fairly controversial here on Powwows.com and it has become somewhat of a tradition to poke fun at them: hobbyist powwows. They tend to draw non-NDN's who pretend to be NDN's or at least think putting on powwow gear is all just a big act.

Be advised, though, there are a lot of mixed-heritage people out there and you might think someone is "a white person" but with as little as 1/8 or 1/16th NDN descent some people still think of themselves as "Indians" (rather than simply as white people with some Indian heritage).
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Can I ask a question?
Have you read any posts on Powwows.com
For instance
What is a Powwow? it is in the window link to your left
Click on that and read
Throughly
Actually, I did read that thoroughly. It doesn't exactly answer my question. It gives the etiquette, which I understand, and tells what a pow wow is. All of the singing and dancing links just talk about what they are, but none answered my question. Which is why I posted it.

Also to everyone else, I wasn't trying to imply that I wanted to perform. I was just inquiring. I am but a spectator.
You don't need a machine to make a rainbow. For rainbows are made of happy thoughts, and dreams, and chocolate unicorns, and gumdrops, and licorice sunsets, and fuzzy gumdrop bears, and sugar-coated chocolate gumdrop land.
(Meatwad, ATHF)

Last edited by Jamimi; 02-16-2007 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-16-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Quote:
Actually, I did read that thoroughly. It doesn't exactly answer my question. It gives the etiquette, which I understand, and tells what a pow wow is. All of the singing and dancing links just talk about what they are, but none answered my question. Which is why I posted it.

Also to everyone else, I wasn't trying to imply that I wanted to perform. I was just inquiring. I am but a spectator.
Don't mind them Jamimi.........LOL. You know its alright to ask questions. If you go to this powwow, don't be scared to ask a dancer questions, just be respectful about it. Also don't get all upset if a person is kinda weary of questions, maybe pick out the dancer that smiles alot...LOL. I know some dancers who are very helpful and don't mind answering questions, then there are some who will just turn their back and walk away. The same with drum groups, etc. Oh, and don't just ask, Are you indian?? Maybe just ask, where they come from or what tribe/s they represent, what the regalia they where means (don't call them costumes, either). Make it simple yet not direspectful. Hope that helps you. But like others say, there are alot of mixed bloods out there. Hope you have fun and they sell some good frybread.

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Teen Dancer

Tom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Not a Stupid Question

Jamimi, You did a fine job of asking - no need to explain your question. And TKMJ, Wakalapi and Nezbah gave you great reponses.

As mentioned, you will see a mix of races, creed, colors, nationalites, etc. both watching and participating at Native American Events all across the country. As Wakalapi said, while most that attend an event on a Reservation may be Native, you might also be surprised how many are not.

If possible you can compare it to Events of other Cultures. For Example: A Kwanza event may not have all Black People watching or participating at it and a Japanese Tea Ceremony may not have all Japanese people watching or participating at it. The same for Mexican, German, Polish, and other cultural Events, Festivals, Gatherings, etc. (whatever they may be called).

Now I am not comparing our event to another event - I am giving an anology of the crowd that might attend - meaning it will vary greatly.

I have said this over and over and over on this website: Most Powwows are public events and open to all - so expect the public to be there.

For a complete different subject: I get so angry at people that complain about "other races at our powwows." That is a very stupid statement - if the event is public then the public will come. If you don't want other races at your powwow don't make the event public, don't advertise it and don't do any publicity for the event!!!!

Otherwise, Jamimi, take the advise of TKMJ, Wakalapi, Nezbah and myself and go and have a good time because powwows are social events of the Native People and are to be fun and happy too.

Last edited by Tom Iron Eagle; 02-16-2007 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: addition
Tom Iron Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-16-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:

I reread my post and i suppose i did sound a little harsh,
Your original question implies you would like to go to a Powwow that has Natives in attendance as dancers, singers, Head Staff ect. right?.

The farther you are away from NDN country the less you will see in the way of Natives at a Powwow
I am not talking Spectators I mean the ones actually putting on the powwow and participating.
There are whole threads devoted to Hobbiest and all they bring to the Powwow
And I don't want to get into that whole thing, but since you have read the posts about What a Powwow is and the etiquette then as a Spectator you will do fine.
Support the committees by buying tickets on 50/50's and raffles if they are having a cake walk buy a chance on that all support the committees to help put on the powwow.
Listen to what the MC has to say they will tell you when you can go into the arena for instance when they throw the blanket out to help support the drum..

To see a Powwow that has more ndn's than spectators you will need to travel, either up to the Northern states or down Oklahoma and into the southwestern states. But then i am partial to the dances in Oklahoma because of the fact most dances around here have more ndn's than spectators...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:18 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

Thanks, everyone. All of your responses were very helpful. :)
(Meatwad, ATHF)
Sponsored Links