Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree139Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk America's Got Talent, Native Flute!! America's Got Talent, Native Flute!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Wannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,902.50
Savings: 0.00
America's Got Talent, Native Flute!!

Hi, everyone. Everyone knows me as Wannabe

I just got back From Los Angeles, CA., Feb. 14-15, auditioning for the America's Got Talent, NBC, Television Show.

My Talent is Native American Flute. I will not receive word until March, 2015 if I got through. The next step is an Audition in front of the Celebrity Judges in front of a Live Audience.

My name is Jonah Littlesunday.

Arizona Daily Sun ran a story on me, on Feb. 11th. Look it up. You can just Google it, my name, and the story will pop up.

I almost did not go through with it. I could not afford the trip. It was the Northern Arizona University college students and co workers who ran an intensive fund raising for me. So I thank all those who made it possible, Ahe'hee!!

I have been a Powwows.com member for many years, and would like to share this moment with all my brothers and sisters of Powwows.com, I will keep everyone updated on my journey. Check out my Video on YouTube: Navajo Romantic Flute; Music

I am 4/4 Navajo, from Arizona.

Thank you guys, for being my friend!!

Native Zombies, rUle!!!

Wish me luck!!! ....I unlocked the outhouse door, to let out Masta (Paul G)
Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #2
Standing Rock

Items PresentDevilElephant
Credits: 88,913.28
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome possum Dude!
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,437.46
AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
On The Rocks

AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Co-workers help flute player make 'America?s Got Talent' audition

Co-workers help flute player make 'America’s Got Talent' audition

February 11, 2015 6:00 am • MICHELLE McMANIMON Sun Staff Reporter

Flagstaff resident Jonah Littlesunday’s face is relaxed as smooth, resonating notes flow out of his cedar flute and bounce through the air to a tune of his own creation called “Navajo Romantic Flute.”

“This flute, it was meant to serenade the girl you like,” he said. “Its origin was to serenade your crush.”

Littlesunday wrote the song “Navajo Romantic Flute” for his wife. This weekend, he will head to Los Angeles to play it for a room full of producers at an audition for NBC's “America’s Got Talent.”

He said he never would have made it this far if not for the support of his friends, his family and his co-workers at the Flagstaff Sprouts, who have dug into their own pockets to help him pay for the trip.

“Everybody’s pitching in from $1 to $10 to $20,” said Sprouts Store Manager Ernie Alvarado. “This whole store is excited about it.”

Littlesunday’s journey began more than two decades ago. His mother struggled after Littlesunday’s father died when he was 5, so he moved in with his grandparents on the Navajo Nation when he was a teenager.

“My grandparents took me in when I was 13 and taught me everything I know," he said. “That’s where I learned the flute.”

He started playing when he was 14, around the time his grandparents were teaching him how to train horses.

“One of the horses pretty much would hurt anyone who went near her,” Littlesunday said. “I played my flute for her and she listened to me play. After a few weeks, she approached me. Not long after that, she let me sit on her back and I would play on her back.”

Littlesunday started performing at local schools and the Flagstaff nursing home where his mother worked, which is now Ponderosa Pines Care and Rehab. Along the way, he met the family behind the band Blackfire.

“When he was a young child in school, I believe I gave him his first paying job,” said Roberta Benally, who describes herself as Blackfire’s “momager.” “He was playing the flute and he was so very talented. I started getting work for him because I thought he was amazing. I still do.”

Her daughter, Jeneda Benally, played bass in Blackfire and is now in the band Sihasin. She said Littlesunday’s music is special.

“Jonah has the rare ability to translate emotion and stories with his flute playing,” Jeneda said. “He has this ability to really draw in the listener on an emotional level.”

Littlesunday described living on the reservation, herding sheep and playing his flute as “peaceful.” Then, his mother got sick. She died when he was 19.

“When she was in the hospital, I spent time with her and we began this really strong relationship,” he said. “Then I lost her. I played at her funeral but after that, it was very hard to play again. I kind of just set the flute down and walked away.”

He did not play for more than a decade. Through it all, the Benally family supported him. But it was his wife who gave him the final push he needed. Almost three years ago, she encouraged him to play again for the patients at Ponderosa Pines Care and Rehab.

“She’s very supportive and very realistic,” Littlesunday said. “She’s keeping my feet grounded, encouraging me. She’s everything.”

Littlesunday now performs locally, including at Native American cultural events at Flagstaff elementary schools.

On a whim, he applied for an “America’s Got Talent” audition in Albuquerque but then the auditions in that city got canceled. In January, someone from the show called and told him to audition in a different city. He chose Los Angeles.

There was just one problem: He could not afford to get there. Littlesunday lost his job last April and just got his new job at Sprouts in December. He was on the verge of canceling the audition when his co-workers saw a YouTube video of Littlesunday playing the Navajo flute.

Littlesunday's fellow Sprouts employees told him he had a chance, started posting his videos on Facebook and collecting money among themselves to get him a Greyhound bus ticket and a hotel room. Their goal is to raise at least $500.

“We’re getting there a little bit at a time,” Alvarado said.

Jeneda said she wants to see the local community rally behind Littlesunday as he represents northern Arizona.

“Jonah’s going to be introducing the Native American flute to such a different audience that has never even heard this style of music,” Jeneda said. “That’s incredible.”

The producers at “America’s Got Talent” will notify the contestants who will be moving on in the competition by the end of April.

The reporter can be reached at [email protected] or 556-2261.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:54 PM   #5
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
Wannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond reputeWannabe has a reputation beyond repute
Today I did an interview with naztoday-tv. It will air tonight online @ NAZ Today: Northern Arizona's Only Television News Source

hmmm

oh man. Gotta potty. Be back yall'
Old 02-18-2015, 07:09 PM   #6
Pow Wow Committee

Items DollElephantDolphin
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
LISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond reputeLISA IRONMAKER has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 25,047.77
Savings: 2.03
Good job that is soo awesome. Keep us updated and I will keep you in my prayers hoping the best for you.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #7
Head Dancer

Items DevilElephantPresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / Awards
windanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond repute
windanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond reputewindanncer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 126,069.46
You've done great! Best wishes for continued success. We're all pullin' for you.

LISA IRONMAKER and RDNKJ like this.

Last edited by windanncer; 02-19-2015 at 12:48 AM..
windanncer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 59,005.33
Reminds me of Tommy Wildcat ... he been playing his river cane flutes for years, promotes himself on FB a lot. Regardless of what 'America's got talent' says about your flute music, it sounds great. @Wannabe You should consider a public FB page, I seen stuff catch like wildfire on der.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
Reminds me of Tommy Wildcat ... he been playing his river cane flutes for years, promotes himself on FB a lot. Regardless of what 'America's got talent' says about your flute music, it sounds great. @Wannabe You should consider a public FB page, I seen stuff catch like wildfire on der.
That sounds like a great idea. But I don't know how. lol.

Would anyone be interested in helping me set one up? or for me

not that i'm lazy or anything....
windanncer likes this.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Way cool @Wannabe! Sending you good thoughts and wishes for success. Be sure and let us know how it goes so we can watch you on the TV!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:36 PM   #11
On The Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post

I could make a FACEBOOK PAGE for you, so people could follow your America's Got Talent endeavor.

Do you already have your own FACEBOOK ACCOUNT?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:06 AM   #12
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 59,005.33
Quote:

LOL my wife set mine up, and my son showed me how to do youtube vids like that one of you down der ameego posted
LISA IRONMAKER and windanncer like this.

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
I have been really touched and humbled by the support and encouragement by everyone. Ahe'hee, everyone.

Today, I have an interview with the NavaHopi Observer. It brings me to tears, to have my People behind me. Thank you all, so much!!!!

Wannabe.....

To my Powwows.com Brothers and Sisters, I will keep you all updated on my Journey through America's Got Talent!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:33 AM   #14

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 12,117.12
Cool - good luck
LISA IRONMAKER and windanncer like this.
Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #15
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 114,713.57
Quote:
I have been really touched and humbled by the support and encouragement by everyone. Ahe'hee, everyone.

Today, I have an interview with the NavaHopi Observer. It brings me to tears, to have my People behind me. Thank you all, so much!!!!

Wannabe.....

To my Powwows.com Brothers and Sisters, I will keep you all updated on my Journey through America's Got Talent!!!
Remember us little people when you make it to the big time!

Good luck, Wannabe!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 PM   #16
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
And when they ask you how you pronounce your name, you say, Wah-Nah-Bay!
Old 02-23-2015, 01:12 PM   #17
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
And when they ask you how you pronounce your name, you say, Wah-Nah-Bay!
Lol. That's cool. Sounds like a new Tribe!! The Wah-Nah-Bay!!

Who WAnts to JOin my tRibe!!!!!!?????

Now enrolling new Members..!!!

Need some ways to Raise our Tribal Budget....
windanncer and Spiritflight like this.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
I could make a FACEBOOK PAGE for you, so people could follow your America's Got Talent endeavor.

Do you already have your own FACEBOOK ACCOUNT?
Did you all coordinate?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 02-23-2015, 03:26 PM   #19
On The Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Did you all coordinate?
Nope. My offer stands, so wait & see....
Old 02-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #20
Sheep Carnivor

Items Sword
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay View Post
Nope. My offer stands, so wait & see....
This sounds awesome. Thank you Guys!!

I would have no idea how to do a face book..!!

I would really appreciate it........