PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

PappyRoach 01-16-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthofAda (Post 1258342)
Shhh!!! I'm a cat whisperer, but don't tell anybody. It's a secret.

Me, I,m just a Cat Herder.
But anyway If someone putting some illusionary title on a birth certificate then makes them that I need to ask my mom why she did not put "Pope" after my name on my B.C.

PappyRoach 01-16-2009 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorthofAda (Post 1258342)
Shhh!!! I'm a cat whisperer, but don't tell anybody. It's a secret.

But anyway If someone putting some illusionary title on a birth certificate then makes them that I need to ask my mom why she did not put "Pope" after my name on my B.C.

jls2009 01-17-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappyRoach (Post 1258498)

Cat Herder? huh. Junior dancer? Good luck. To all of you that went along critizing color and race. How are we gonna solve unfairness and discrimination against our fellow people. Noone left rules for powwows to be only us. The great Peoples of the plains shared us a gift to reach out to each other in beautiful way. So where did this generation learn such selfishness? (Again, to all of you who agreed to this forum. And not to those of you with the kind hearts.)

Yes, I do work with birds. Can I talk with them, yes I can. Why be so critical? The very feathers you dance with help you? No? Have you given thanks to where it belongs?

Eagles are the connections to the Spirit of the skies. We use them for prayer and protection. Religions from all of over the world revere them. Why is that? Take a look at the big picture.

I talk with birds. It was a gift given to me. A gift I cherish and protect. I help all kinds of people. Natives of all different tribes and whites, along with many races. We are all the same. And that is the way they (Eagles) see us.

I came to this site to hopefully find fellowship. Doing what i do is very lonely. But I do what i am told. The birds use to me assist them in many ways. From helping protect them to saving an innocent. And to simply just give a miracle to someone who deserves it. For instance, a Red Tail Hawk gave me some of her feathers to give to a young girl. She told me where she was and what was wrong. It was in a powwow in Arizona. Everytime this young girl danced she would only walk away in tears. Because she didn't have what the other girls had.

Well, I'll leave the rest upto you. All i'll say is The story will stay with the young girl and her family forever, and me.

Next time you dance. Don't forget to thank those who gave you those feathers. Little brothers and sisters there is a miracle and a blessing right in front of you, you just need to give it.

Shi' kaad, hagoone'.
Sincerely,

Big Brother.

PappyRoach 01-17-2009 10:33 PM

Seems to me you do more than "talk" with birds. You seem to talk out your A$$.
If there was to be any truth in what you say you would not need to come on a public forum and broadcast it. So what is it you wish us unelightened ones to see? I bet you want to give the 'impresion" you some sort of medicine person huh?
I guess we should all feel sooo special that you deemed us worthy of telling us how holy thou art.
Spare us your drivel and your bombast Big Brother, what a laugh ...

TKMJ Productions 01-17-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PappyRoach (Post 1258634)
Seems to me you do more than "talk" with birds. You seem to talk out your A$$.
If there was to be any truth in what you say you would not need to come on a public forum and broadcast it. So what is it you wish us unelightened ones to see? I bet you want to give the 'impresion" you some sort of medicine person huh?
I guess we should all feel sooo special that you deemed us worthy of telling us how holy thou art.
Spare us your drivel and your bombast Big Brother, what a laugh ...

Hey Pappy,

We have a thread for that!
http://www.powwows.com/gathering/nat...men-women.html

Direct the dude there.

SuzzeQ4 01-17-2009 11:33 PM

My Elders taught me a thing or two. Not to succumb to pan-NDNism. My peoples stories are for my people to tell. Our ways are for us. We were not taught to go forth and spread our ways through out the world...such ideas are christian in nature. Our spiritualism is what is considered a "culture based religion", meaning that the spiritual aspects of our lives cannot be seperated from the culture and that it is something you are born into. A mainstream example is the jewish religion. Further more what the wannabes, snowflakes, hobbiests etc etc are doing to our culture is neither harmless or benign. Those of us opposed to delusions of a "rainbow tribe" of wannabes are such because we were taught our ways well and protect them. Also; only new age types thing we are a bunch of "love the world - peace to everyone - brown skinned - hippies". We are not. We respect our Elders, parents, siblings, children, and the world around us...it doesn't mean we love (with out question) every person begging to be taken to our leader.

Anyone can claim anything they want, we don't have to believe them. We draw on our wisdom and expierence to decide who to believe who to trust etc. If I were to use my intuition I'd guess that jls2009, carolann and rynn are the same person. I don't have proof just my intuition. I also find it surprising that carolann's Mom is in her 80's because her musical taste puts her in my age group, possible...but I'm doubting it. If I'm wrong ...who cares. The point is I don't have to believe everything I read on hear to be a good person.

PappyRoach 01-21-2009 10:03 PM

So true..
I don't feel that what you shared could have been stated any better on all counts.
I too had the sneaky suspicion that they all are the same person. Must be part of her Split Personality Complex

pow-wow person 01-21-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod (Post 856226)
cuz you are disrespecting us by thinking u know what u are doing! thats why. the ndns u met here that think its ok for anybody to suit up and dance and/or sing, are prolly some new age friggin cherokee from virginia. (lotsa legit ndns there)

the powows u dont feel comfortable at are probably powows that are run correctly and frown upon wanabees.

everybody is welcome at a powow, just dont think you "belong" there with an outfit on, or sittin at some crazy a$$ drum. stand on the sidelines, gaze at the indins, and pay the folks u take pictures of.

and i know, alot of people are nice here, but whoever knows me, knows i'm nice as long as u know yer place. u dont see me coming to bowling league telling you how to bowl.

and of course i got a moderators attention, the title speaks out to most of you mods.

I want to agree with most of what the commodbod is saying... its as if they(?)want always what they can't have or get, by being born NDN we have something the non natives want or want to have or to be like that. its never going to be an attainable status for them but they want it all the same.
I get tired of being nice all the time and walking the line has always been a part of my life while in white society. Its good to relax with my own people especially at powwows.
I feel there has always been money to be made off of our people too, thats another thread (wannabe medicine people, that really gets under my skin..)the list goes on and on...is that going to get me off the thread?

steelemagnolia63 01-21-2009 10:56 PM

I had a deep discussion with one of my elders at a powwow last summer and expressed to her that I felt like the wannabes, new age ndns, and the posers were stealing something from me that I feel is mine by birth, not by a choice, or a passing fad. She thought for a while and said that they can only steal "it" from me if I allow them to do it. When I asked what she meant she told me that I needed to think on what she had told me, to talk to the Creator about my problem and let him guide me to my answers. Got to love elders they give you an indirect answer that requires thought and prayers and time with the Creator.

So after much more discussion with her, my husband, and spending time asking the Creator and listening for his words. I think that I have come to something that keeps me from going up and punching them in the nose. I feel sorry for them! They want what we have so badly, they think that they can fill the gaping empty spot in their lives with embracing being an "indian". I choose not to give them my spirit, my specialness, my culture and my history.

Do they offend me?? In the words of my little brother Oh He** yes they do. Are they going to go away?? Nope they didn't go away in our forefathers time and they are not going to go away in our grandchildrens time. We must keep teaching our young ones our ways and telling them that this is something that by birth is theirs and that no one can take it from you unless you let them do it.Guard it well it is your gift to the next generation.

And if they piss you off to much punch them in the nose, Mom will always have your back...LOL

pow-wow person 01-21-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod
cuz you are disrespecting us by thinking u know what u are doing! thats why. the ndns u met here that think its ok for anybody to suit up and dance and/or sing, are prolly some new age friggin cherokee from virginia. (lotsa legit ndns there)

the powows u dont feel comfortable at are probably powows that are run correctly and frown upon wanabees.

everybody is welcome at a powow, just dont think you "belong" there with an outfit on, or sittin at some crazy a$$ drum. stand on the sidelines, gaze at the indins, and pay the folks u take pictures of.

and i know, alot of people are nice here, but whoever knows me, knows i'm nice as long as u know yer place. u dont see me coming to bowling league telling you how to bowl.

and of course i got a moderators attention, the title speaks out to most of you mods.

I want to agree with most of what the commodbod is saying... its as if they(?)want always what they can't have or get, by being born NDN we have something the non natives want or want to have or to be like that. its never going to be an attainable status for them but they want it all the same.
I get tired of being nice all the time and walking the line has always been a part of my life while in white society. Its good to relax with my own people especially at powwows.
I feel there has always been money to be made off of our people too, thats another thread (wannabe medicine people, that really gets under my skin..)the list goes on and on...is that going to get me off the thread? I was on the wrong thread like I said..anyways

jls2009 01-22-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pow-wow person (Post 1259559)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod

I feel there has always been money to be made off of our people too, thats another thread (wannabe medicine people, that really gets under my skin..)the list goes on and on...is that going to get me off the thread? I was on the wrong thread like I said..anyways

What makes you think i'm a wannabe?
I wouldn't say what i said if i didn't back it up. Like i said, I came here to this place to find some fellowship. I'm a full blooded navajo, Not no wannabe. I found this chat room shameful. I been to white powwows. But guess what? They're still people. What makes you better?

You got a problem with them not knowing the traditions even if they have a drop of blood or none in them?

Then get off your a$$ and teach them. They are still people. Not ignorant dogs. They admire your ability and positions to identify. Alot of these people don't know they're identity. They didn't choose to be this way. They were born with it. It ain't their fault. Quit ragging. Powwows helps makes them their connection.

........As for exposing fake medicine men...

I owe an apology for what i did. It was not a way to express a concern by claiming to be one. Am I a medecine man? No matter what i say, none of you would beleive me. So why bother. I do apprentice. And it will take me years to be on my own. I read back on what i wrote, and felt sad. Sad, because i wrote all that out of anger. Anger i still feel. My nephew is black, and loves powwow. He gets alot of crap for looking the way he does. So please accept my apology. But i am not gonna kiss your A$$.

I come from a long line of traditional hat'aathlees'. And I shouldn't had done what i did. I'm young and eager. But that is no excuse, I know. That is all.

SuzzeQ4 01-23-2009 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jls2009 (Post 1259883)

You got a problem with them not knowing the traditions even if they have a drop of blood or none in them?

Then get off your a$$ and teach them. They are still people. Not ignorant dogs. They admire your ability and positions to identify. Alot of these people don't know they're identity. They didn't choose to be this way. They were born with it. It ain't their fault. Quit ragging. Powwows helps makes them their connection.

Actually it is their problem. They came to this world white, that was their choice.

Do we have a problem with wannabes (white people with no NDN blood or just a drop of NDN blood) not knowing our traditions? Nope, most of us would like to keep it that way.

No one said they were dogs..I like my dog.

If they feel they have no identity then they should go find it; not fake ours. Powwows can't give white people an identity, unless they like the title of wannabe.

What makes people think your a wannabe?....cause you sound like every wannabe we've all ever met!!!!!!!!!!

jls2009 01-23-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 (Post 1259972)
Actually it is their problem. They came to this world white, that was their choice.

Do we have a problem with wannabes (white people with no NDN blood or just a drop of NDN blood) not knowing our traditions? Nope, most of us would like to keep it that way.

No one said they were dogs..I like my dog.

If they feel they have no identity then they should go find it; not fake ours. Powwows can't give white people an identity, unless they like the title of wannabe.

What makes people think your a wannabe?....cause you sound like every wannabe we've all ever met!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha.......

Oh my God, you are having some issues. Sounds to me, like you get the same crap. I am as true as they come. I ain't tryin to convince you or anybody. I already apologized.

But, it ain't worth it to ignorant ones.

I stand by those that get the bad treatment from idiots like you.

To All those that still want to Powwow regardless of color or shallow bloods. Keep dancing.....

There are good Natives out there, with the best of hearts. You got questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Your hearts are in the right place. There is a place in every place.

Shi' Kaad', Ni' Hoozho'.
(Walk in Beauty)

And to the rest of you. Grow up......

SuzzeQ4 01-23-2009 10:27 AM

letting wannabes do there thing doesn't help anybody.

There mockary and distortion of our ways is hurtful to those of our people looking for their ways because there parents didn't pass them down (speaking about real NDN's with Native parents as opposed to g g g grandparent types) Its not helpful to regular white people looking to learn only what we are willing to share so that they can appreciate (not imitate) another culture.

It is not helpfull to wannabes. Clearly these freaks have something missing in their life. Encouraging them to learn the history and ways of their own would fill the hole completely. There are all kinds of white culture groups out there, ones for Irish people, Polish, Ukranian you name it. They can learn their own dances, foods and cultural activities. I have met such people cause here where I live we have this weekend every year where all these cultural groups open there doors to the public and show off their food and dance and music. These are whole people cause they have their own identity. Wannabes don't truely have that, thats why they lament that they wish they were NDN. They would be truely happy if they learned all the interesting stuff about their own culture. Plus I find that people with pride and understanding of their own culture are more respectful of others and their ways.

storyteller 01-23-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 (Post 1260077)
Plus I find that people with pride and understanding of their own culture are more respectful of others and their ways.

Does this apply to you also SuzzeQ? You seem to be proud of your own culture. Do you also respect others and their ways?

n8tiveheart 01-23-2009 11:32 AM

As I was reading the thread of this subject..it just hurts and breaks my heart...i dont attend that many powwows and when I do..I feel like I am at home or whenever I speak to a native person I always felt welcomed..you see I am not sure who I am or where my family really did come from..all I know is that my moms mom is irish my gr gr grandfather come over during the potatoe famin..as for the rest of my family for all i know we have been here since the beginning of time..I have treid to research my family genolgy and when I get to the mid 1800 it stops or the spelling of the surnames change etc..my grandfather has always claimed to be black dutch and for along time we didnt know what black dutch was until i was able to find the answers on the internet..my grandpa would always call me his little indian girl I am guessing ibecause i am the only few out of my family that has a tan complication,brown hair and eyes as dark as coal..for which I think i have inherited from my dads moms dad side of the family..now if you have met my grandmother you would think she was of a tribe or my aunt..but we have no way of knowing for sure..although when i was working on our family tree i found that there was a young girl who was a servant of my gr gr gr grandfather..i dont know if she was black white or native..but there is a storr that there a girl that was native so this could be our gr gr grandmother..if she was native we have no idea what tribe she come from and she probably married my gr gr grandfather..it is very confusing..I do not claim to be full blooded anything..but for some reason I feel very well connected to the native culture..and when and if i do go to a powwow I would sometime go intertribal when the mc says it is okay. and when i do I feel so at peace and I thank the great spirit for allowing me to be there. I dont dress up in regalia although I will carry my shawl with me for is has special meaning to me..it was a girft from a lakota lady when my infant daughter died..so I carry it to honor all our ancestors..so if something like this really bother people or if there are those that think i am a wannbe so be it..but i will always have and will show respect and will no longer attend to honor those before me for i dont want to affend anyone or be laughed upon..with that said i will just honor,and follow whats in my heart the way the i have been shown by the great spirit.
Thank you and many respect everyone and to all walks of life..

SuzzeQ4 01-23-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by storyteller (Post 1260098)
Does this apply to you also SuzzeQ? You seem to be proud of your own culture. Do you also respect others and their ways?

I mentiioned that cultural weekend our city has every year. I participate in that and meet many wonderful people that I have great respect for and enjoy gaining some understanding of whats important to them, within what they are willing to share. Most of my nieghbours are Asian, I get along great with them. There is also a dutch family who I have tea with every now and then when the kids are playing. We can share with each other because its an appreciation of each other, not some wacko looking for something I can't give them.

But your question is certainly fair storyteller cause I am a hothead when I'm annoyed and stuff. And although I have aquintenses with a diverse group of people my friends are all within my community and either NDN or married to an NDN. i don't spend my days b*tching about this and that with my friends, just talking about whatever, (occasional b*itch fest of course). I love a good discussion as much as a lively argument, so this (here) gives me that.

PappyRoach 01-23-2009 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jls2009 (Post 1259883)
........As for exposing fake medicine men...

I owe an apology for what i did. It was not a way to express a concern by claiming to be one. Am I a medecine man? No matter what i say, none of you would beleive me. So why bother. I do apprentice. And it will take me years to be on my own. I read back on what i wrote, and felt sad. Sad, because i wrote all that out of anger. Anger i still feel. My nephew is black, and loves powwow. He gets alot of crap for looking the way he does. So please accept my apology. But i am not gonna kiss your A$$.

I come from a long line of traditional hat'aathlees'. And I shouldn't had done what i did. I'm young and eager. But that is no excuse, I know. That is all.

A true HolyMan, medicine person would never feel the need to broadcast whom they are nor give others the impression even by implying they are Apprentice's. I have personal familial knowledge of a Dine' Holy man and I can tell you most assuredly he does notgo about in public let all who would listen that he is one.
If you speak true then I feel those who are teaching you need to have a long hard talk with you and inform you that TRUE "medicine people" do not go about telling people what they are. You say you find this chat room or thread shameful but I think you should see that You are behaving most shamfully by needing to stroke your ego by coming to these chatrooms and with less than adozen post come here to play medicine man. You play the loving elder yet you insult and degrade SuzzeQ4 most hastily.
Shameful ? , yes indeed..
You do nothing but show that you have no conception of what you try to imply you are

injunboy 01-23-2009 08:14 PM

im a fake medicine man whatcha gonna do about it?? haha

badmaninc 01-23-2009 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by injunboy (Post 1260331)
im a fake medicine man whatcha gonna do about it?? haha

Dude, that made me laugh out loud. I had an image of the COPs theme song. What you gonna do bad boys.