PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

*Brown Eyed Gurl* 01-19-2007 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streamhawk (Post 856889)
Let me see if I got this straight, no one's supposed to have an opinion, but him.....and you?

Umm YA

:lol:

streamhawk 01-19-2007 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* (Post 856893)
Umm YA

:lol:

m'k

:questionm :jumping:

just checkin', carry on then

ok24stacey 01-19-2007 03:19 PM

Your post does not offend me. You got sand to say it like that, coming at people "head on" is fine by me anytime.

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbear (Post 856233)
So what's wrong with Skins that bowl??

... hey wait.. take the skin heads bowling.. take them bowling! I love that song!

But no seriously... is there somethign wrong with indians bowling? You gotta let me know now because we go neon bowling at least twice a month and I need to know is this seriously a non indian thing that I should stay away from????

Dude, the non native dancers are'nt going to quit just because you make a post... same as the wannabes don't stop claiming indian ancestry just because you prove they don't have any... take Ward Churchhill for example. Lighten up, the disclaimer was supposed to make people laugh.

now BB you should know that real Indians only Bingo, that bowling stuff although seemingly harmless is a danger to our race, do you want to turn white? do you? well do you?

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod (Post 856234)
no they might not quit, probably wont. but at least they will know how us young, real, powow ndns feel. thats my intention here. leave this post here for awhile and you will see i'm not alone on this. and thank you to whoever "stickied" this thread.

Real powwow Indian. huh, and all this time I thought it was my language that held my heritage.

ok24stacey 01-19-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migiziwomen (Post 856937)
now BB you should know that real Indians only Bingo, that bowling stuff although seemingly harmless is a danger to our race, do you want to turn white? do you? well do you?

dang Migs....you figured out the plan. :smile: lmao

kiyaanii mom 01-19-2007 04:16 PM

Quote:

Dude, the non native dancers are'nt going to quit just because you make a post... same as the wannabes don't stop claiming indian ancestry just because you prove they don't have any... take Ward Churchhill for example. Lighten up, the disclaimer was supposed to make people laugh.

ha ha. It made me laugh......

Geez, I guess this topic never gets old.....

FluteMaker 01-19-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsalt (Post 856570)
Only afro-americans can rap or hip-hop.
Only Chinese can cook egg rolls.
Only Jews can eat Bagels.
All you White and other "rock stars" turn in your guitars, thats afro american too.
Only whites can be pilots.
Unless your oreintal, give up the Tai-chi and Hapkido.

oh man i am so screwed......

ikinda like most hiphop,
i love chinese food and bagles too.
i dont want to give up my guitar, i just got it.
and the wife and i like to curl up on the sofa and watch a jackie chan movie.

im not too broken up about the flying thing though, if i were meant to fly id have feathers of my own

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streamhawk (Post 856871)
ojibwecommodbod, I understand your point, I honestly do, and maybe why you posted it, but if you honestly look at your post, does it not borderline just a bit on the side of racism? How many people in the world do you really need to hate on? As a young man sometimes it's good to really take a close look at your own heart. If I took every word in your posts as truth, I'd have to think you have something against the Cherokee, since you mentioned the tribe more than once. Have you actually surveyed those people you mentioned at powwow's, or is it like someone else suggested, you're strictly going on skin color? Lots of questions only your heart can answer. If it bothers you so much, maybe you should confine yourself to ceremonial gatherings mostly. I've seen all manners of people make a fool of themselves, and it didn't really matter what color they were.

the boy screams racism, let us just get him a white sheet. I do understand where what his thought process is, but not the hatred. a young guy with a lot to learn. I do agree with part of it I am offended when I see people disrespecting the circle, unfortunatly those people are usualy native. seriously you wanna get up in arms about something and protect our traditions than let us attack those natives that come to our circle drunk on drugs or with bad hearts. chiimooks at a powwow i gaurentee does not make the great spirit sad, it is the natives that come and chit all over our traditions. now that is were the real threat is son, so please get some life education and then step up and do some proactive campaining.

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ok24stacey (Post 856940)
dang Migs....you figured out the plan. :smile: lmao

hey I am smart, and if the Indians were not loving on the whites from time to time I might not be here. and that would be a shame cause i am one cool half breed. but i am not blind i do know there is a movement to infaltraite the red race with bowling and golf and that damned solitare game. evil bast@rds.:mad:

streamhawk 01-19-2007 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migiziwomen (Post 856986)
the boy screams racism, let us just get him a white sheet. I do understand where what his thought process is, but not the hatred. a young guy with a lot to learn. I do agree with part of it I am offended when I see people disrespecting the circle, unfortunatly those people are usualy native. seriously you wanna get up in arms about something and protect our traditions than let us attack those natives that come to our circle drunk on drugs or with bad hearts. chiimooks at a powwow i gaurentee does not make the great spirit sad, it is the natives that come and chit all over our traditions. now that is were the real threat is son, so please get some life education and then step up and do some proactive campaining.

that was extrememly well said Migiziwomen!! I see alot of my younger self in this post and his words, but we have to be very careful how we view the world in our youth, it can stay around a very long time to haunt us, intenisfy and magnify, and that anger can be so hard to get rid of when age has mellowed us some. Things are not always as they seem was the point I was trying to get at, and we should pick our battles better, but when you're young, you gotta do what you gotta do, I understand this. You hit the nail on the head much better than the beating around the bush I was doing. Again, well said!

ok24stacey 01-19-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migiziwomen (Post 856991)
hey I am smart, and if the Indians were not loving on the whites from time to time I might not be here. and that would be a shame cause i am one cool half breed. but i am not blind i do know there is a movement to infaltraite the red race with bowling and golf and that damned solitare game. evil bast@rds.:mad:

Girl....you are too much!!!! :laughing:

When are you coming to Oklahoma so we can hit the "breeder clubs" downtown??

FluteMaker 01-19-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

no solitare???? oh man, now im gonna cry

Sleeping Bear 01-19-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

Oh, don't mind the bowling, but BEWARE THAT GOLF. It is EVIL!

Sleeping Bear 01-19-2007 04:54 PM

Oops, computer glitch

ajibik 01-19-2007 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostsalt (Post 856570)
Your point may be valid, but your logic is flawed.

So...

Only afro-americans can rap or hip-hop.
Only Chinese can cook egg rolls.
Only Jews can eat Bagels.
All you White and other "rock stars" turn in your guitars, thats afro american too.
Only whites can be pilots.
Unless your oreintal, give up the Tai-chi and Hapkido.

The powwow is a modern evolution of things. Started much after the start of the resevation period. Whites have been interactive in communities across the country for many years Except in volume, how has anything changed.
Whites have been participating in pwws for many, many years.
Why be upset now.
People, as they always have, can discern a fruit when they see one.
Folks find there place in the world where they belong.
Along the way they have to discover where the wrong places are before they can realize where they should be.

lostsalt

Mmmmmm. Bagels.

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streamhawk (Post 856992)
that was extrememly well said Migiziwomen!! I see alot of my younger self in this post and his words, but we have to be very careful how we view the world in our youth, it can stay around a very long time to haunt us, intenisfy and magnify, and that anger can be so hard to get rid of when age has mellowed us some. Things are not always as they seem was the point I was trying to get at, and we should pick our battles better, but when you're young, you gotta do what you gotta do, I understand this. You hit the nail on the head much better than the beating around the bush I was doing. Again, well said!

awww shucks, well i gets on my soap box once in a while, and it is not my wisdom but my grandmothers and my aunites, i just listened.

Migiziwomen 01-19-2007 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ok24stacey (Post 856996)
[/b]

Girl....you are too much!!!! :laughing:

When are you coming to Oklahoma so we can hit the "breeder clubs" downtown??

now that sounds like a good time I keep telling rezzy that I got to hang with you sometime. you and me we can rip it up. watch out now.

badmaninc 01-19-2007 06:20 PM

Dude's this is great thread. This young person is going to burn themselves out with this must venom in his heart. To have that kind of angry energy towards a group of people is for the youth. In time this person will realize that hatred however you feel is justified is actually something inside of you which is the basis of the fear. Don't be too hard; we were all young once. The people who try to reason with this individual have had a lifetime of inequities and racisim from which to provide examples. It takes that kind of experience to understand many of what has been said. Telling somebody who hasn't experienced numerous acts of stereotyping, racial profiling, prejudiced behaviour from others simply can't come to the conclusion that only white people are stupid or offensive.

NorthofAda 01-19-2007 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmaninc (Post 857065)
Dude's this is great thread. This young person is going to burn themselves out with this must venom in his heart. To have that kind of angry energy towards a group of people is for the youth. In time this person will realize that hatred however you feel is justified is actually something inside of you which is the basis of the fear. Don't be too hard; we were all young once. The people who try to reason with this individual have had a lifetime of inequities and racisim from which to provide examples. It takes that kind of experience to understand many of what has been said. Telling somebody who hasn't experienced numerous acts of stereotyping, racial profiling, prejudiced behaviour from others simply can't come to the conclusion that only white people are stupid or offensive.

I agree - have met other folks who were non-NDN and non-white and were prejudiced toward another culture. And if they're white, and they think they know more about powwow dancing than you do, and you know they don't, then just let it roll off like water off a duck's back. No point being mad about it. Some things just aren't going to change...:shades_sm

Blackbear 01-19-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migiziwomen (Post 856937)

Yeah, but the one bingo parlor anywhere near where I live turned into some kinda bar with boxing on Saturday nights.... Bowling is about all there is left out here to do after 7pm. LOL! And you see natives there all the time! And I'm better at darts but darts are in bars and you can't take the kids... sniff. Hell there ain't even a shuffleboard table out this way!

Blackbear 01-19-2007 06:41 PM

I myself don't care for the obnoxious ones, but eventually you end up meeting one or two cool guys who are'nt native and they dance well, they don't compete, they are married to a native or friends of a native family who brought them in.. they are respectful and just having a good time. You end up likeing them... so now what you gonna do? Lump them in with the bizarre, the strange, the obnoxious and the disillusioned?

You know the older folks got it right, if they don't say something to someone personally to their face about their actions and what they are doing at a powwow, then ostracization is put into practice. They are'nt acknowledged, they are'nt talked to, they are'tn given the time of day. Cold shoulder in other words. People pick up on it pretty quick ...

And I seriously think some of the scads of people who start becomming the obnoxious indian types that we KNOW are'nt anything but white frauds, is the result of a new psychosis. A type of mental illness. I REALLY wish I had the education under my belt to further examine this with people... the discertation alone could make me a wealthy indian woman!

Singing Otter 01-19-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

:laughing: ow ow ow :lol:

Singing Otter 01-19-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

So what's wrong with Skins that bowl??

... hey wait.. take the skin heads bowling.. take them bowling! I love that song!

But no seriously... is there somethign wrong with indians bowling? You gotta let me know now because we go neon bowling at least twice a month and I need to know is this seriously a non indian thing that I should stay away from????

Those evil sadistic Yahoo! games that you download, play for an hour (for free mind you!).... then BAM they charge yer azz. It's a conspiracy.... I swear..... It's like crack. They get you hooked then make you come back and PAY for more. Stay away from those. They are the spawn of satan.

Quote:

Lighten up, the disclaimer was supposed to make people laugh.

lol Told ya. :razz:

FluteMaker 01-19-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbear (Post 857082)
.... Bowling is about all there is left out here to do after 7pm. LOL!

now the thread 'guess what' tells me that is not entirely true
i hope your family sees it as a good thing

andre 01-19-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmaninc (Post 856474)
Cool this is gonna be a good one. Dudes wait until I get my popcorn and coffee.

Dude, I've got you covered::Fruit_Dri:pepsi000::lurk:

FluteMaker 01-20-2007 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andre (Post 857160)
Dude, I've got you covered::Fruit_Dri:pepsi000::lurk:

i think we're going to need more popcorn guys

KoolNDN 01-20-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 856643)
Now you've got the attention of another "mod."

Anybody who feels this thread crosses-the-line and should be deleted, just let me know?

WhoMe

Whome and Blackbear "the Mod Squad" ayyyyyeee

Dang just luving it.... Truth be told - you both do an oustanding job. NEXT...........

Zorro 01-20-2007 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod (Post 856204)
YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG! YOU CAN NOW GO BACK TO BOWLING, DART LEAGUE, AND SOFTBALL, AND PLEASE LEAVE THE POWOWS TO US NDNS!.

Softball's a white thang? Does that mean I have to quit my team? How're they gonna catch the ball if I'm not there with my sword?

Isn't softball/baseball one of those ancient Aztec game, anyway, where they used to throw a human head around? (Hey, on second thought, send them white folks out here on the field, heh heh heh)

Zorro 01-20-2007 02:52 AM

Hey I just got an idea for a new bowling game, who's in? lol

Blackbear 01-20-2007 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 857156)
now the thread 'guess what' tells me that is not entirely true
i hope your family sees it as a good thing

Uh, but I cannot include the entire family in on those kinda activities you know....ROFLMAO!

andre 01-20-2007 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 857251)
Hey I just got an idea for a new bowling game, who's in? lol

Gives a whole new meaning to picking your nose.... :lol:

badmaninc 01-20-2007 11:05 PM

Dudes this sure got a lot of responses. The title of the thread prolly had a lot to do with it. When you open it up and start reading it it really interesting. There is a lot of polarization on the arguments. Its kind of like the debate on capital punishment. You are either really for or against it. I am not sure where I am on the spectrum. I understand all of the arguments though. If we share to much of our culture with non-ndns, they will begin to take shortcuts and *******ize the process. If we don't share some of our beliefs with them then they will not see how much value we place on our culture and teachings. Its a double edged sword. Many of our Elders from all over ndn country have lamented on this issue. It is more of a question of how much do we let them in before things begin to change and lose there significance. Its like the other thread where do these yahoos get this. People do what has been shown to them and they may not get the reasons why we do what we do. Pretty soon it becomes accepted practice. Nobody really understands anymore; things which used occur for very specific reasons no longer have teachings attached to them. That is when we begin to break down in our culture. I am by no means an expert on cultural teachings but that is what I understand.

FluteMaker 01-20-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbear (Post 857263)
Uh, but I cannot include the entire family in on those kinda activities you know....ROFLMAO!

i was kinda talking about the outcome

trob226 01-20-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmaninc (Post 857569)
If we don't share some of our beliefs with them then they will not see how much value we place on our culture and teachings. Its a double edged sword. Many of our Elders from all over ndn country have lamented on this issue. It is more of a question of how much do we let them in before things begin to change and lose there significance. Its like the other thread where do these yahoos get this. People do what has been shown to them and they may not get the reasons why we do what we do. Pretty soon it becomes accepted practice. Nobody really understands anymore; things which used occur for very specific reasons no longer have teachings attached to them. That is when we begin to break down in our culture. I am by no means an expert on cultural teachings but that is what I understand.

You make some really interesting points. I know people who have been guilty of misusing Indian culture out of ignorance - they don't know they're misusing because they don't know the reasons behind what they're doing. I'm certain I've done it myself. It's a question of do you trust people in general enough to disclose more so they won't destroy the culture in ignorance? Generally, I'd say no, but in particular instances, when you recognize somebody means well but just doesn't have enough knowledge, maybe it's better to risk a little more disclosure. Very tough call.

Joe's Dad 01-20-2007 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badmaninc (Post 857569)
Dudes this sure got a lot of responses. The title of the thread prolly had a lot to do with it. When you open it up and start reading it it really interesting. There is a lot of polarization on the arguments. Its kind of like the debate on capital punishment. You are either really for or against it. I am not sure where I am on the spectrum. I understand all of the arguments though. If we share to much of our culture with non-ndns, they will begin to take shortcuts and *******ize the process. If we don't share some of our beliefs with them then they will not see how much value we place on our culture and teachings. Its a double edged sword. Many of our Elders from all over ndn country have lamented on this issue. It is more of a question of how much do we let them in before things begin to change and lose there significance. Its like the other thread where do these yahoos get this. People do what has been shown to them and they may not get the reasons why we do what we do. Pretty soon it becomes accepted practice. Nobody really understands anymore; things which used occur for very specific reasons no longer have teachings attached to them. That is when we begin to break down in our culture. I am by no means an expert on cultural teachings but that is what I understand.

Dang dude, something is wrong...you're actually making sense! j/k bad. What you say makes alot of sense. It also brought another question to mind.

Is ojibwaycommodbod talking about ALL white people, white people married to ndns, or just those weird white people who do weird things like they are talking about in the 'yahoos' thread. Methinks those people in the 'yahoo' thread get overspirchalized, see psychodelicized visions and then act out what they saw!

hobbs49 01-21-2007 04:03 PM

Excuse me...

Being white, I was wondering, do I have to give up bow hunting and take up something else instead?

Don't want to offend you know :-)

~Journey~ 01-21-2007 06:52 PM

I Can't Believe I Read This Whole Thread!!

:whistling

I found myself smiling....:hysterica

When it all boils down... we are ALL humans.

Just try being yourselves and be true to you families and communites...

Remember where you came from.

Ahinawake 01-21-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Journey~ (Post 858101)
:whistling

I found myself smiling....:hysterica

When it all boils down... we are ALL humans.

Just try being yourselves and be true to you families and communites...

Remember where you came from.

I agree. Frubals on your head!

Blackbear 01-21-2007 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 857583)
i was kinda talking about the outcome

OH the second sentance yes, I knew that and yes everyone is excited about it thanks!!

but the first sentance LOL.. that's what I was responding to. I can't include the whole family on those "other" after 7PM activities ... that would be not just wrong, but illegal and gross LOL!!

besides that, they are a bowling nuts. And I'd rather play darts and sing Karaoke myself.