PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

Josiah 01-31-2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furiously-Fancy (Post 1262528)
Well put sis! Truth is.........real NDN's are RESPECTFUL & HUMBLE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakota Wiyan (Post 1262483)
What happened to "REAL NDNs" being respectful and humble? Does being young translate as being rude and over judgmental (sounds like European ways to me)?

I've been a dancer for nearly 30 years now, since I was a teeny little girl. I have seen the "wannabees" and have done my share of laughing and pointing, as well as shaking my head and wondering exactly HOW MANY TIMES have they watched Dances With Wolves! However, because my grandma had a hand in raising me, and because my uncles and aunties are good strong examples of "REAL NDNs" aka LAKOTA Ikceya Wicasa na Wiyan, I would NEVER call people out and publicly disrespect them. Nope, that would make me look foolish and ignorant; and those are usually traits I find in Eurocentric Idiots!!

Too often we get caught up in absolutes and finite things
And dealing with people it is never the case
All people have the freedom to choose what they want to do and what they want out of this life
If it makes you happy then by all means do it
Sometimes I forget that
In real life I have seen these people come to powwows seeking some higher answer
But its not there
It was inside them all along

They just need someone to point them the way
As these two people have done for me. The answer was inside me all along and I knew it because I had heard it before just did not listen to it.

I was attempting to define something that is difficult to define and lack the skill in writing to describe what that was. I must say I did a very poor job of doing that and going back over my posts it shows.
I read alot of posts here on Powwows.com and occasionally someone will come along and post something that just cuts to what the essence of the thread is really about and ANSWER what we all were struggling to define.

Just two words Respectful and Humble.
If you apply those in all that you do then you will find the answer...

timmy tiger 01-31-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownEagleApache (Post 1262336)
I understand where you are coming from. My problem is that my white mother lied to me all my life. I found out 2 years ago that my real father worked for the Southern-Pacific RR. He was a Kiowa-Gataka Apache from Lawton, OK. After being raised white and then finding out you are half NDN is kinda of a shock. However I am not pasty white. I am brown hair brown skin and brown eyes. Which I always thought was strange cuz I did not look like my brothers or sisters.

This is fairly easy believe it or not.

Go to Lawton and go to some of the dances and start talking to people. Tell them who your dad is/was and someone will know exactly who you are and will sit and talk to you. I have seen this happen many many times and it's always wonderful when people connect with their relations. You might be surprised at how welcome you would be.

SuzzeQ4 01-31-2009 01:32 PM

in response to Lakota Wiyan and steelmagnolia posts...

I think it's good we are shooting out all this. When this thread started and the dozen or so pages that followed it was all us arguing with the decendants of that famous princess. Now it is moving towards what do we (amoungst ourselves) think. Yousay this...but what about this situation. I think it's moving into the territory of a healthy discussion. One can assume that most of us here (if not all) are proud of who we are and would like to pass that on to our decendants. Well what is involved in passing that on? Do we just want to pass on blood, or just culture or both? What happens if one of our decendants is removed from the culture? Where do they fit in? How do they get that back? What about the lost family member that probably each of us have? If we don't talk about it from every angle then nothing is answered. If nothing is answered I think its those of us who were removed from the culture who are hurt the most...so i guess I got an interest in it being answered

NorthofAda 01-31-2009 02:14 PM

Sometimes it's the culture that reaches out to the individual. I remember reading a couple of months back how the father of Sam Bradford, the OU quarterback, commented on their lack of knowledge and participation in their culture. Yet it is obvious that the Cherokee Nation has embraced him, and other tribes have held him up as a positive role model for native youth. Yet he is only 1/16th Cherokee and admittedly untaught in the ways of his ancestors.

Those that are cut off from the ways of their ancestors by a multiplicity of generations will find it harder to make that connection, that's for sure. In some cases the whole tribe has lost things. There are some tribes where the language has been lost. My people encountered the white man as early as the 1500s and were converted by missionaries to the point where very few know the old ceremonies and such. Even if someone wanted to get back some of what is lost they may be limited by what is still known and practiced.

steelemagnolia63 01-31-2009 02:39 PM

The thing is that there are no easy answers. Yes, we all have one for that grand daughter of a "Cherokee Princess" or grandson of a "Lakota Medicine Man" that pops up at every powwow that any of us attend. Sometimes I forget to stop and think that this is what a lot of people have been told their entire lives and they truly believe this. Just like the think that we are all brown or red. That the rez is a great place where the govt takes care of the poor but noble savages. These people think that Kevin Costner dancing around the fire is the way that we all do things. Once again I am not talking about the fake shaman, and the new age wannabes... But there are poor misguided souls that think that their granny was a princess or that crazy old uncle al was really a medicine man....

What we don't seem to have is healthy disscussions about our lost family members, some through their own fault, some through being scooped, some through a family choice to go into hiding and try to blend in to survive. Some of our people just walk away because they are tired of the fight. We as "the people" that are the survivors of 100's of years of attempted forcable conformity need to find ways in our hearts to remember that our people were accepting, humble, and respectful. To gather our lost brothers and sisters and to let the ones that left angry and hurt know that you can come home. We still love you and want you....

I am as guilty as anyone is about getting caught up in the fight to keep what is ours and to keep it for my grandchildren and great grandchildern and the generations to follow. I rail at the wannabes that I feel are stealing my heritage. I rant and rave and weep over what is happening to us as a people.

I was once told by someone so much wiser than I will ever be that the only person you can change is yourself, and by making that change for the positive. You can lead very gently the ones that follow the right way. So we must first look inside ourselves for the way of a human being and then carefully and gently lead the ones that follow in that direction...

and if anyone says that I am starting to sound like a wise elder I am going to smack them with my rolled up newspaper....

TKMJ Productions 01-31-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1262607)
and if anyone says that I am starting to sound like a wise elder I am going to smack them with my rolled up newspaper....

I see an opened door in this statement.:lol:

Hint: My great grandmother, grand mother and mother used a stick.:quiet:

steelemagnolia63 01-31-2009 09:02 PM

TKMJ bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!

TKMJ Productions 01-31-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1262659)
TKMJ bite me!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take that as an invatation! :board_yu:

:lol:

steelemagnolia63 01-31-2009 09:39 PM

on second thought you better not bite me... lol...

so here :lol_hitti for even thinking that I was wise... lol

TKMJ Productions 01-31-2009 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1262671)
on second thought you better not bite me... lol...

so here :lol_hitti for even thinking that I was wise... lol

And who thought you were wize??????? Did I say anything to you about the "E" word? Noooooooooooooooo.............

My reference was to your newspaper. I just stated what my family used.

And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You made me an offer.
And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I accepted.
And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You backed out.
And then,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You hit me!

Boy I tell ya. Build a guy up just to let him down!

I'm tellin Suzzie! Better yet, I'm tellin my wife!!!!!

shadowoman 01-31-2009 10:57 PM

wife[/COLOR]

TKMJ Productions 01-31-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowoman (Post 1262684)
wife[/COLOR]

Yes wife!

Well, I went into the kitchen from my study and told her what happened. She felt so bad for me that she gave me the first four chocolate mint chocolate chip cookies hot off the oven pan with a fresh cup of coffee!:regular_s

Later she said she was going to get Great Grandmother's big stick!

You're in trouble now!:lol:

SuzzeQ4 02-01-2009 12:45 AM

she shoulda hit ya with the newspaper herself, accepting such an offer, your lookin for support on this in the wrong place TKMJ...just ask my husband, after giving birth this many times I have little sympathy for whinny Men.:lol:

TKMJ Productions 02-01-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 (Post 1262704)
she shoulda hit ya with the newspaper herself, accepting such an offer, your lookin for support on this in the wrong place TKMJ...just ask my husband, after giving birth this many times I have little sympathy for whinny Men.:lol:

Who's looking for sympathy? I got my cookies and coffee and my wife has Great Grandmother's big stick.

You can't play stick game with a newspaper!

Nice try playing the birth card. It's a good one!
I'll trump you with the kidney stone card!

SuzzeQ4 02-01-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1262711)
Who's looking for sympathy? I got my cookies and coffee and my wife has Great Grandmother's big stick.

You can't play stick game with a newspaper!

Nice try playing the birth card. It's a good one!
I'll trump you with the kidney stone card!

Gimme a couple of years to catch up and I'll have a new card to play:whistling

steelemagnolia63 02-01-2009 12:24 PM

hey I hit the jar head with a rolled up newspaper and it never works.... I guess that I need TM's granny's big stick.... lol

TKMJ Productions 02-01-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1262809)
hey I hit the jar head with a rolled up newspaper and it never works.... I guess that I need TM's granny's big stick.... lol

Yep Ya Do!

And for $24.95 plus shipping and handling, I'm gonna send you not one, not two, but three of those wonderful sticks.

But wait! There's more!!!!! Not only am I gonna send you the sticks, I'm going to send you my book, The Wanabi Guide to NDN MAGIC BEHIND the STICK . It is filled with wonderful useful information to uses of the stick.

But Wait! There's More!!!!!! Not only am I going to send you the three sticks and my guide, I going to send you a set of three mini sticks that are perfect for pocket or purse.

Be the first one at your powwow to posess these wonderful sticks. You'll be the envy of all who see them. But remember to share that wonderfull feeling the sticks hold!

ORDER TODAY!!!!!!!!

SuzzeQ4 02-01-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1262814)
Yep Ya Do!

And for $24.95 plus shipping and handling, I'm gonna send you not one, not two, but three of those wonderful sticks.

But wait! There's more!!!!! Not only am I gonna send you the sticks, I'm going to send you my book, The Wanabi Guide to NDN MAGIC BEHIND the STICK . It is filled with wonderful useful information to uses of the stick.

But Wait! There's More!!!!!! Not only am I going to send you the three sticks and my guide, I going to send you a set of three mini sticks that are perfect for pocket or purse.

Be the first one at your powwow to posess these wonderful sticks. You'll be the envy of all who see them. But remember to share that wonderfull feeling the sticks hold!

ORDER TODAY!!!!!!!!

OMG, I'm so happy, I'm going to be a real NDN (I mean native American.) How do you think it will look with my new headdress?. I know Women don't usually wear one but I felt in my heart I was ment to have one. It's not real eagle feathers but I don't think anyone will notice, especially with my new granny stick!!!! :indian:

TKMJ Productions 02-01-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 (Post 1262824)
OMG, I'm so happy, I'm going to be a real NDN (I mean native American.) How do you think it will look with my new headdress?. I know Women don't usually wear one but I felt in my heart I was ment to have one. It's not real eagle feathers but I don't think anyone will notice, especially with my new granny stick!!!! :indian:

You will be the fashion statement of the 2009 powwow season! Everyone will be talking about you!

I must warn you that it is not a granny stick. It is a medicine stick. It is used to administer medicine. It can be dangerous in the hands of someone who does not know how to use its power. Just a simple wave can put fear in the hearts and minds of others.

I can't tell you more here on the forum. You will have to read the book. If you need more insite, I am available for consoltation in person for a nominal charge.

steelemagnolia63 02-01-2009 04:05 PM

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
send me a set.... I can't wait....