PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

wanjica_the_one 08-25-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby (Post 1432313)
I encourage white people to continue to perpetuate a culture that has been abandoned by its own creators. Maybe one white man can pass on the teachings of the arena to a young native who might not have the respect for our ways that a non-native would.

this will only happen once my body is dead and rotting in the grave.

Rachelevans 08-25-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1432319)

Ya, the part about a white person teaching an ndn about his own stuff doesn't make sense to me either. Where'd the white guy learn it in da first place? other white guys? O_O Sharing and learning from another culture is a whole other story. Taking it (or trying to!) and having the behougees to try and teach it to the people it was taken from makes no sense.

gtbdave 08-25-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachelevans (Post 1432318)
Is it really that prevailant? I guess so, I've seen lotsa young white kids doing the same thing. I don't care much for hating what you are and trying to be something else. most people have cultural things to be proud of, and cultural things they'd rather avoid. Everybody should look into their ancestery, and into their own hearts. Sometimes that heart says something from another culture means a great deal. Sometimes they see or read things and say, "My God, that's gotta be saved before nobody remembers it." Hence one of my daughters is studying traditional, ancient style Hula. No ukeleles. She's not Hawaiian, but she's learning the language of the chants and studying the music and moves with great reverence. Is that right? Her heart is in it, and it's deadly serious to her. She's striving to save something beautiful and unique. I say go 4 it. Her teacher was skeptical at first too, but now respects and accepts what my daughter is trying to do. She's not trying to pass as Hawaiian, but loves and wants to perpetuate ancient style hula, something worthwhile.

There are a lot of things to think about and consider here...

It should be easy today to learn about the culture, people act like there is just one culture, not some 500 different cultures. Sort of like a generic culture, one size fits all. I look at some of that stuff, and say, what the hey, some stuff I have never seen before, not part of my culture. Maybe legitimately part of someone else's. Some of these cultures were different as night and day, some mortal enemies. Certainly different languages, different customs, all slightly to greatly different. Even different religions and beliefs. Not many of the ancients were Christians, not many were patriots to the US, they fought wars for about 100 years against the US. I would guess that alot of that stuff was deeply religious. Some of the ancients might not recognize anything of their culture in alot of that stuff.

neling4 08-25-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 1432017)
i like Cincinatti. I traveled there in 2003 on a record buying trip.. The amount of rare soul 45s coming out of Ohio in the 1960s and 70s was staggering. It was the best city ive ever bought records in. I spent loads of cash. But.. That doesnt have anything to do with anything here. Haha

I love Cincinnat: Red's baseball, Bengals football, the Cincinnati Symphony and lot's of good German food!!! :eating:

I met my hubby there. :smile:

bobo 08-25-2010 10:58 PM

i have an uncle who was adopted by my grandparents. Hes a white man, but they took him in before i was ever born and he learned alot about our umoNhoN ways. Growing up he was always my uncle, as a young boy i didnt make the connection that he was a white man, he was just my uncle and as indian as any of them.. i guess as a kid you dont look at things that way. He has always been a part of the community here and has been helpful in teaching alot of things to people including myself. Of course there are those who dont like him because hes white, but to alot of us, hes indian. Its just the way it is, so wanjica, carry some needle and thread around in your pocket, wouldnt want your arm to rot and fall off.

wanjica_the_one 08-26-2010 12:31 AM

I use cat gut so if anybody has any stray kittens, send them my way.

nejnna 08-26-2010 02:32 AM

I don't care much for hating what you are and trying to be something else. most people have cultural things to be proud of, and cultural things they'd rather avoid. Everybody should look into their ancestery, and into their own hearts.
There are a lot of things to think about and consider here...[/QUOTE]

Very well said - For me, I am not ashamed of who I am or how I was raised - I do feel an overwhelming sadness to think of the lives that were needlessly lost at the hands of the settlers. It is painful. I found that I have Mohegan, whether or not I can completely trace it, I will study that culture, history and other elements respectfully, but with a vengeance - I want to know and learn - from a pure heart - not out of nosiness or a condescending attitude.
Being very blunt here, there are SO many cultures who feel slighted and they just raise an uproar if anyone dares to even make the tiniest inference about race. However, the Native Cultures don't do that, when they have MORE right that others to do so.

I have to say also that it was mentioned that a white person teach a native - how can that be? I had the darnedest time trying to ask questions :shutup20: and was very appropriately put in my place. (Thanks Guys :thumbsup:)

Also, if young native youth are acting like a different culture, I feel that many of us did the same when we were young, trying to find our identities. We all have to work together to forge a path of respect, non discrimination, education & job opportunities for those kids - If they don't see that, they won't have much hope for the future and give up. I think in time, most youth will recognize the value and beauty of their heritage and culture.
Just my humble opinion - -very very humble :shades_sm

Joe's Dad 08-26-2010 02:39 AM

White people write a lot.

Disclaimer: nejnna...I wrote this before I even saw ur post with all ur writing, so don't get all butthurt!!! :hysterica

nejnna 08-26-2010 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1432388)
White people write a lot.

Disclaimer: nejnna...I wrote this before I even saw ur post with all ur writing, so don't get all butthurt!!! :hysterica

:wasntme: :lol:

Harland Jones 08-26-2010 03:49 AM

gtbdave 08-26-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo (Post 1432341)
i have an uncle who was adopted by my grandparents. Hes a white man, but they took him in before i was ever born and he learned alot about our umoNhoN ways. Growing up he was always my uncle, as a young boy i didnt make the connection that he was a white man, he was just my uncle and as indian as any of them.. i guess as a kid you dont look at things that way. He has always been a part of the community here and has been helpful in teaching alot of things to people including myself. Of course there are those who dont like him because hes white, but to alot of us, hes indian. Its just the way it is, so wanjica, carry some needle and thread around in your pocket, wouldnt want your arm to rot and fall off.

I think alot of Indian families have similar stuff. I know our family does, they are intermarried all over the place. The whole Tribe seems to be like that. I can't speak for other Tribes, or any Tribes, but you wouldn't get far with some of those attitudes in our Tribe. There are whites, blacks, hispanics, who knows what all, even a guy from the Sioux, he was head of the local council for awhile. They seem to get along fine, family, I guess they get along. Some even have adopted non-Native kids. I know the Tribe employs alot of Non-Natives, I figure they have to so they can't make a profit, in all their businesses, or break even, in these times. They are the largest employer in the area, they have alot of workers. If they make a profit, I have no trouble in taking my share. It's spends as well as any. I don't see that racism gets you anywhere. I tried to teach my kids to be tolerant, not to be prejudice towards anyone. I think I've done well, they have good jobs, they went to public schools with all kinds of people, did well in school, graduated from college, all 4of them, and now have good jobs, working with multi-cultural, multi-racial staffs, and do well.

Brown wlf 08-26-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby (Post 1432313)
I have noticed more natives try to dress/act/talk like black folks and are embarrassed about their lack of knowledge of their own culture. I encourage white people to continue to perpetuate a culture that has been abandoned by its own creators. Maybe one white man can pass on the teachings of the arena to a young native who might not have the respect for our ways that a non-native would.

Sounds like the typical crap that spews out the mouths of most Boy Scouts and Hobbyists....
Why should they decide what the standard is for ndns? Most of them focus on segments of the culture that most appeals to them, not the whole of it.:thumbs_do

captain 08-30-2010 05:35 PM

Have not been to this site for a long time. One question that arises after reading through this forum, "Are there any REAL GENIUNE First Nations People on this site anymore?" The posts are indeed entertaining as they are mostly ill informed which makes them funny.

wanjica_the_one 08-30-2010 06:47 PM

I am not first nations, I am hunkpati dakota sioux.

ndnsooner 08-30-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain (Post 1433027)
Have not been to this site for a long time. One question that arises after reading through this forum, "Are there any REAL GENIUNE First Nations People on this site anymore?" The posts are indeed entertaining as they are mostly ill informed which makes them funny.

I know of quite a few that are on here daily.

captain 08-31-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1433054)
I am not first nations, I am hunkpati dakota sioux.

Oh! I am CREE!

Grits & Beans 09-01-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by captain (Post 1433027)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndnsooner (Post 1433055)
I know of quite a few that are on here daily.

i agree with ndnsooner :smile:

Grits & Beans 09-01-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1432319)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harland Jones (Post 1432391)
Same here.I will burn in hell before this happens !!!

me three! :Blasting_

gtbdave 09-02-2010 08:30 AM

I have no problem with it all, as long as they put it up front, in their advertisings, flyers, annoucements on the internet.

Many events are closed to the public, or private events. There's no problem with that. I just don't go along with this stuff about everything being covert, and then being all indignant when you see something you don't like. Just come out and say it in your public releases. People shouldn't have to guess. I would never attend an event that stated, openly, that I was not welcome there. I guess some would, maybe looking for confrontations, but most would avoid stuff like that, especially in this type of venue.

It's like going to a Chamber of Commerce meeting, you assume you are not welcome there, if you are not a member. Many organizations are exclusive, members only. Like Mensa, don't get in unless you meet their criteria. If it's all private, exclusive, just say so, don't get all indignant if people can't read your minds, say something, put it in the advertising. Insist that it be there.

Rachelevans 09-03-2010 01:59 PM

That's completely reasonable. If it's a private party, so to speak, just say so. Private organizations aren't required to allow non-members to attend their functions. Conversely, stuff open to the public should not be resentful when the public (white, Japanese tourists,whatever) shows up.These public Pow Wows serve a good purpose. They share arts and music and give the vendors needed support in keeping traditions alive (and paying the bleeping rent, feeding the kidz...etc ya), physically and in the minds of the world. Most folks visiting are respectful and really want to understand what's going on. Ya, there are some nitnatz, but ya gotta expect that when dealing with any large gathering. As for white folks dancing, I agree with what was said before: sometimes those of ndn blood are blondes, even when it's mom or pop who was the source of their lineage. Best not to jump to conclusions.

Can whites learn the ways? Can they participate? I hav no idea, really.

All my life I've spoken out about the unbelievable actions of whites that came to America. I'd get in fistfights as a kid over it in the Northeast U.S... Custer was worse than Hitler in my eyes, and still is, truth be told. (Hitler was nuts; Custer and the government he served was quite sane, rational, and cold) Back in the 60's they still had the notion the West was "won" rather than the truth that it was stolen. The truth hurts. It gets you into fistfights with the cowboy-loving kids. It gets you sent to the principal's office for disputing the lies the teacher was teling during history. The first person who taught me about Custer and the war crimes commited by the White Powers That Be was my uncle. My blonde, blue-eyed German/Russian uncle. Go figure. Anyway....

Should non-ndns participate? In round, ya, if all are invited. In specifics....still dunno....up to the leaders I guess, but I'd never feel right unless I was asked by another group to join their stuff, personally, and took the time to kno WTF I was doing.....

been rambling....need coffee.......coooofffffffffeeeeeeeeeeee