PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

gtbdave 09-03-2010 02:21 PM

I served with 7th Army, in 1966. I don't know if that makes any difference to some Indian people, some hold grudges for a long time. :regular_s

I guess it's the same unit, it has a long tradition. I didn't think anything of it at the time, just felt proud of my unit, like any other troop. 7th Army has a long hisory, it was one of General Patton's commands, for a while, he commanded alot of them. While serving in Germany, we were billeted in and old German building that used to be Officer's quarters for German Officers, Nazi's, under Rommel's command, when he was a Jr. Officer. To me, it was just a big dump, kinda run down, and old. Beats being in the field.

As far as dancing, if it ain't contest dancing, or maybe even if it is, people should be allowed, depending on restrictions by the planners, if it's an open event, public invited. Goes without saying private is private, anyone can respect that.

I think I see it all the time, don't think anything of it. The dancer may be part Indian, or perhaps adopted, or married to Indian, all kinds of situations might be possible, really none of my business. Just hope they are having a good time, and are good dancers.

Whatever policies they want, just make them public. For me, I don't like traveling maybe 100rds of miles, hotels, gas, food, etc, and then finding alot of surprises, restrictions, hoops to jump thru. It's not that hard, few sentences, just a polite courtesy.

Rachelevans 09-03-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtbdave (Post 1433548)
I served with 7th Army, in 1966. I don't know if that makes any difference to some Indian people, some hold grudges for a long time. :regular_s

I guess it's the same unit, it has a long tradition. I didn't think anything of it at the time, just felt proud of my unit, like any other troop. 7th Army has a long hisory, it was one of General Patton's commands, for a while, he commanded alot of them. While serving in Germany, we were billeted in and old German building that used to be Officer's quarters for German Officers, Nazi's, under Rommel's command, when he was a Jr. Officer. To me, it was just a big dump, kinda run down, and old. Beats being in the field.

As far as dancing, if it ain't contest dancing, or maybe even if it is, people should be allowed, depending on restrictions by the planners, if it's an open event, public invited. Goes without saying private is private, anyone can respect that.

I think I see it all the time, don't think anything of it. The dancer may be part Indian, or perhaps adopted, or married to Indian, all kinds of situations might be possible, really none of my business. Just hope they are having a good time, and are good dancers.

Whatever policies they want, just make them public. For me, I don't like traveling maybe 100rds of miles, hotels, gas, food, etc, and then finding alot of surprises, restrictions, hoops to jump thru. It's not that hard, few sentences, just a polite courtesy.

The 7th that rode under Custer was a completely diff deal, and I respect your affection for the group you were in, fighting to save the world in WWII. You were da good guys by then. Patton was something else. A great warrior, no doubt. Just 'cause somebody's white don't make them complicit in what other people who looked like them did a century before, that's fer sher.

I see your pioint about ndn by adoption or marriage. Ya, then it's up to the leaders, but really, fam is fam, ya know?

Ha! Along those lines, Hubby #2, my late great bear of a man, was Irish. Our kids are very proud of all their ancestory, but really proud to be descended from that oppressed group. (No dogs or Irishmen Allowed, were common signs in stores and such in the USA fer a long time)My hub's grandfather escaped the British authorities in Ireland because he was a (peaceful) subversive, seeking freedom for his oppressed people. His culture, spirituality, and customs sere passed to our children. I'm sure as hell not Irish, so the kids made me honarary Irish. I learned the dances and the food and the religion. Have I kept my own? Hell yes. Have the kids learned that too? Hell yes. Do I have the right to participate in their Irishness? According to them I do, and that's good enough for me!

Peace to all

gtbdave 09-03-2010 06:16 PM

Yeah, different deal, same number.

I guess you can river dance in your jingle dress, huh? :regular_s

AmigoKumeyaay 09-03-2010 06:25 PM

The Irish were looked down upon by the Brits, they were considered inferior.

Rachelevans 09-03-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtbdave (Post 1433570)
Yeah, different deal, same number.

I guess you can river dance in your jingle dress, huh? :regular_s

Ya, too tru, eh? One group always oppresses another: our language, our approach to god, our customs, our skin, our technologies, our lifestyle makes us superior to the other guys and therefore we can treat them as lesser/take their land/outlaw their customs...Yadda yadda yadda. Arrogance across the board: the Japanese throughout history thought they were superior to the Koreans (filthy Garlic Eaters, ya) even tho their whole famed martial arts stuff came from them...the Chinese too, inferior even tho they gave Japan WRITING, fer crissakes...the EuroWhite Dudes taking over India "for their own good", as people with thousands of yeart of continued civilization Obviously are too stupid to rule themselves, Puh-leeeeez!...the Romans overrunning everybody else because their armies were larger and better equipped, and besides, it was their destiny to bring civilisation to those barbaric Englishmen and Germanic tribes and such...

There's a pattern here. A sad, disturbing worldwide pattern.

I'm a human being. I don't think of myself as any better or any worse than anybody else. As far as I kno, nobody in my background opressed or murdered anybody else. Can't be sure, but cannot change that either way. Right now, people hafta grow up and do whats right NOW. White people NEED to go to Pow Wows and see the culture, hear it, feel it, for their own good and for ndn interests. Interest leads to informed people. Informed nieghbors, appreciative nieghbors make good friends. They become involved, in the best case scenarios. Even if they do not, Exposure can lead to appreciation. Support the vendors, at the very least, ya?

P.S. Riverdance in a jingle dress: * GIGGLES *

gtbdave 09-03-2010 08:06 PM

Yeah, about it. You dwell on all that stuff, likely to give you a complex. Best just to attend, have a good time, try to put all those silly comments out of your mind. Things aren't going back to the way they used to be, most don't even know how they used to be, I don't, have no idea. I heard it was pretty bad times, alot of poor people, some of my own. Not so much anymore. Some poor, not as bad as awhile back.

To me, it's just great to see so many having such a good time, knowing where many of them came from, a hard struggle, a lot of hard work, hardships, now they are dancing around having a good time. More power to em, all of em. I get a kick out of some guy dancing around, having a good time, when it's time to go, he get's in his $50K vehicle, and drives away. Didn't see that much of that when I was younger. Can remember when Indians couldn't get good jobs, couldn't shop in the stores, etc. Now everyone wants their money. Things are good for Indians.

Grits & Beans 09-03-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtbdave (Post 1433578)
Yeah, about it. You dwell on all that stuff, likely to give you a complex. Best just to attend, have a good time, try to put all those silly comments out of your mind. Things aren't going back to the way they used to be, most don't even know how they used to be, I don't, have no idea. I heard it was pretty bad times, alot of poor people, some of my own. Not so much anymore. Some poor, not as bad as awhile back.

To me, it's just great to see so many having such a good time, knowing where many of them came from, a hard struggle, a lot of hard work, hardships, now they are dancing around having a good time. More power to em, all of em. I get a kick out of some guy dancing around, having a good time, when it's time to go, he get's in his $50K vehicle, and drives away. Didn't see that much of that when I was younger. Can remember when Indians couldn't get good jobs, couldn't shop in the stores, etc. Now everyone wants their money. Things are good for Indians.

:thumbsup:

Grits & Beans 09-03-2010 09:16 PM

did someone say riverdance? :hypnotize

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfMrHknXxlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kfMrHknXxlk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

remember the key is good posture! do not to move your upper body, just your legs and feet. :idiot: :hysterica :rofl: :lol_hitti

neling4 09-04-2010 12:18 AM

My great-granddaddy was an Irish princess.:patty:

Rachelevans 09-04-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1433593)

Hee hee hee! Why is it always a princess??????

lbgood 09-04-2010 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1433593)

Did they chop off his lucky charms - is that why he's an Irish princess now. He prolly walks around looking n saying wherez me lucky charms :hypnotize

neling4 09-04-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1433615)
Did they chop off his lucky charms - is that why he's an Irish princess now. He prolly walks around looking n saying wherez me lucky charms :hypnotize

OOOOPS!

:idiot:

I meant to say "prince". :lol:

lbgood 09-04-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1433583)

remember the key is good posture! do not to move your upper body, just your legs and feet.

R u still talking about riverdancing? :rofl:

Rachelevans 09-04-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1433615)

Ok, read that and almost sprayed my keyboad with coffee :lol:

neling4 09-04-2010 12:36 PM

Yeah, that was a good one lbgood, and I set it up nicely for you too. :wink:

FYI: He and great-grandma had 11 children, so he must have found his "lucky charms". :smile:

lbgood 09-04-2010 12:42 PM

11 children? Great Grandma must have thought his lucky charms were "magically delicious" too:hypnotize

Grits & Beans 09-04-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1433624)
11 children? Great Grandma must have thought his lucky charms were "magically delicious" too:hypnotize

:eek:

Grits & Beans 09-04-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgood (Post 1433617)
R u still talking about riverdancing? :rofl:

yes, riverdancing. you know that thing you practice doing in your living room when no one is around :lol:

Rachelevans 09-04-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1433628)
yes, riverdancing. you know that thing you practice doing in your living room when no one is around :lol:

Originally Posted by lbgood
11 children? Great Grandma must have thought his lucky charms were "magically delicious" too

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grits & Beans (Post 1433627)
:eek:

ok, who ARE these peoples?????? They scarin me, ma! :eek2: :leaving:

vinnie dean 09-07-2010 12:43 PM

hey kodas

i just want to say that when i am going trough all the messages you left hire,it seems to me that the whole stuff got way of course.so lets no forget why we are hire and what are we talking about.thanks to everyone.god bless.