PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

neling4 09-07-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie dean (Post 1433879)
i just want to say that when i am going trough all the messages you left hire,it seems to me that the whole stuff got way of course.so lets no forget why we are hire and what are we talking about.thanks to everyone.god bless.

I think we were just trying to inject a little humor into the conversation.

Here is the original post. Now we can get back on course:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod (Post 856204)
YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG! YOU CAN NOW GO BACK TO BOWLING, DART LEAGUE, AND SOFTBALL, AND PLEASE LEAVE THE POWOWS TO US NDNS!

thought it was worthy enough to start a new thread. some come on all you pigmently-challenged powow peoples, what ya gunna say now?

hobbs49 09-09-2010 02:55 PM

A friend of mine sent me this link. It might be relevant here as well. YouTube - Zeta Tau Alpha: Epsilon 1st Place Winners of Sprite Step-Off Challenge 2010

robby 03-30-2011 11:39 AM

white

It doesn't really matter how much of my culture or teachings that I continue or how many songs i know, how to stop on time or just cookin on the fire, As much as I want to feel native, everytime I spend the USA's money I feel ashamed of being like the white people and relying on money.

lbgood 03-31-2011 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robby (Post 1463890)
everytime I spend the USA's money I feel ashamed of being like the white people and relying on money.

Well - I'd be willing to take that money off your hands just to help you out, I will pm you my addy so you can mail me the :dollar::laughing:

WhoMe 03-31-2011 03:21 PM

lb,

You ought to invite Robbie to your powwow and make him feel better by having him sponsor a singing contest (after hours at the Sidekick Lounge) *L j/k

lbgood 03-31-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1464166)
lb,

You ought to invite Robbie to your powwow and make him feel better by having him sponsor a singing contest (after hours at the Sidekick Lounge) *L j/k

LMAO - and he can go home with one of the chorus girls:eek:

AmigoKumeyaay 03-15-2012 12:51 AM

Hey now...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MP8QHj7Wjg8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

wyo_rose 03-15-2012 06:26 PM

:lol:

What a good fancy shawl dancer!! And someone even put down money for him to dance over!! :hysterica And nobody picked it up!! :hysterica

TKMJ Productions 03-15-2012 07:23 PM

Been a long time since I've been here. The place looks the same as when I left except for a few new posts.

Anyhoo. I'm going to the University of Michigan Powwow in Ann Arbor this weekend dressed as a token white man. Do you think anyone will notice? :thinking:

neling4 03-15-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1526983)
Hey now...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MP8QHj7Wjg8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:cool: Awesome!

TKMJ Productions 03-15-2012 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1527077)
:cool: Awesome!

At least the white boy danced for his money. Maybe he is a wannabe closet shawl dancer. Ya never know about them whities. They all look alike to me.

AmigoKumeyaay 03-16-2012 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1527070)
Been a long time since I've been here. The place looks the same as when I left except for a few new posts.

Anyhoo. I'm going to the University of Michigan Powwow in Ann Arbor this weekend dressed as a token white man. Do you think anyone will notice? :thinking:

Well, Saturday is St. Patrick's Day :patty: :lol:

TKMJ Productions 03-16-2012 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmigoKumeyaay (Post 1527123)
Well, Saturday is St. Patrick's Day :patty: :lol:

It will be a traditional St Pat's day.
Corned beef on frybread!

Gotta know these things to be NDN! :tongue:

fancyforever 04-14-2012 03:38 AM

Arizona Question!!!!

Me and my friend are a couple of Canadians that are going to be in Arizona for Training and than we plan on heading to the GON afterwards. We plan on driving from Scottsdale to ABQ...just wondering if any of you are from that area and wondering how the road condtions are? Like are we driving through mountains? or is it straight arrow drive? let me know....please and thanks.

milehighsalute 05-29-2012 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonopahdancer (Post 1261506)
thank you my greatgrand mother is on the resavation in okahoma she is full blooded Cherokee this is something i found out just recently i have watched pow wows for a few yrs now and i love watchin them now im older i have started to dance just not in a true pow wow yet becuase i want to look like my ancesters did so im gettin my regalia together berfore i try to dance in front of them i under stand were he is coming from but he should help his brothers not try to scare them away ive seen a white man and a true blood indain they both are excalet dancers

FIRST thing you should do is go build a relationship with your grandmother you just discovered BEFORE you even THINK about dancing. ANY ndn from ANY tribe/nation will tell you this

suzaleeny@live.com 06-02-2012 04:14 AM

Wow, please be kind, don't know what was said to you but give each person a chance.

Sounds like someone seriously tipped over your Cheerios. I am here to listen fist, learn and understand.... my skin is white...so white I burn in 15 minutes in the sun, eyes green, hair blond... but I have roots(not my hair) that I respect. Please do not lump all people who look white as being the same... I do research, genealogy and that is how I got here. I would agree I am pigmently challenged, but the heart it good, peace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojibwecommodbod (Post 856204)
YOUR DOING IT ALL WRONG! YOU CAN NOW GO BACK TO BOWLING, DART LEAGUE, AND SOFTBALL, AND PLEASE LEAVE THE POWOWS TO US NDNS!

thought it was worthy enough to start a new thread. some come on all you pigmently-challenged powow peoples, what ya gunna say now?

attn moderators! please dont move this thread to the "native issues" section. you let the weirdos keep their posts here, so u should let a young brother speak his mind here.

yaahl 06-02-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzaleeny@live.com (Post 1538946)
Sounds like someone seriously tipped over your Cheerios. I am here to listen fist, learn and understand.... my skin is white...so white I burn in 15 minutes in the sun, eyes green, hair blond... but I have roots(not my hair) that I respect. Please do not lump all people who look white as being the same... I do research, genealogy and that is how I got here. I would agree I am pigmently challenged, but the heart it good, peace.

Sounds like you haven't been paying attention to the humour part of being around NDNs.

Here's a hint, when someone says, "In my heart..." or "My heart is..." it causes a huge amount of laughter and will guarantee to get you teased. No amount of genealogy researching is going to help you figure that out.

AmigoKumeyaay 06-02-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzaleeny@live.com (Post 1538946)

This plays out in BOTH directions at some, but not all powwows.

Way too many NON-Indians show up like it is Halloween, and they want to play Native. Fake Native. The real Natives have every right to engage these persons...diplomatically...or IN THEIR FACE.

Now, the other end of this is Judgemental behavior, where certain persons will behave not so diplomatic. Not always fair, but after decades of Rejection by mainstream society, the powwow can be perfect setting for "payback" especially if on a Rez. Not everybody Plays Well With Others,

This is your TIMEX time, just take the licks and keep on ticking. Only people who know of your background, and are willing to accept you into their circle, will give you respect.

Most people will judge by appearance, such is life in USA, the home of racial strife. After the powwow, you remember the drums, and singing, take that on your path. Anything else not worth carrying.

Reneebass 06-02-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahinawake (Post 856209)
All I'm going to say is that I understand why you feel that way. You and a lot of indians. It's complicated...at some powwows I feel like I belong. At others I feel like I just need to leave. I wish things weren't so complicated. You might do well to remember, though, that someone who looks white could very well be half or 25% Indian...it doesn't seem wise to me to make vast generalizations based on the way somebody looks.

I agree. I am asked if i am part Mexican, everyonce in awhile if i am Native. One friend who is half Cherokee looks white except his black hair. My other friend who is 25% looks full. You just never know.

RestlessN8iv 06-04-2012 09:35 AM

Mt
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reneebass (Post 1538976)
I agree. I am asked if i am part Mexican, everyonce in awhile if i am Native. One friend who is half Cherokee looks white except his black hair. My other friend who is 25% looks full. You just never know.

My sister and I are both 3/4 PeeDee, but for some reason she looks like Pocahontas,and i look like an extra from "Goodfellas".