PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/attention-white-people-who-powow-36832/)

KoolNDN 01-21-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hobbs49 (Post 858068)
Excuse me...

Being white, I was wondering, do I have to give up bow hunting and take up something else instead?

Don't want to offend you know :-)

Not necessarily, but don't forget to stop and get a hunting permit if want to hunt on the rez.

In addition don't forget to offer your first kill to an elder - but then again you already knew that now didn't you:smile:

savysun 01-21-2007 09:36 PM

i think powwows should be for everyone....it seems like a form of art where all (well, maybe it's mainly for indians) people come to dance together. i'm not indian, i'm asian and i definitely enjoy everything about powwow. sorry, i don't travel much and i've been to only a few powwows. i love the indian culture ever since i was a kid. i've never been to a rez nor met a real live indian yet.

FluteMaker 01-22-2007 12:20 AM

Quote:

Excuse me...

Being white, I was wondering, do I have to give up bow hunting and take up something else instead?

Don't want to offend you know :-)

gosh darn it hobbs.... dont you know that white people hunt with AK 47s or AR15s ?

FluteMaker 01-22-2007 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by savysun (Post 858149)
i think powwows should be for everyone....it seems like a form of art where all (well, maybe it's mainly for indians) people come to dance together. i'm not indian, i'm asian and i definitely enjoy everything about powwow. sorry, i don't travel much and i've been to only a few powwows. i love the indian culture ever since i was a kid. i've never been to a rez nor met a real live indian yet.

all that aside.... at least you can spell powwow. the guy who started this thread couldnt even do that. should be worth some rep points

w30 01-22-2007 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 858191)
gosh darn it hobbs.... dont you know that white people hunt with AK 47s or AR15s ?

I know whata AK47 is but whats a AR15 ?

w30 01-22-2007 01:33 AM

Duhhhhhhhhhhhh. Nevermind LMAO

Zorro 01-22-2007 04:07 AM

Quote:

Excuse me...

No, Seņor, but you must carry your arrows tied in a bundle at your waist - no quivers! - and use a longbow.

hobbs49 01-22-2007 08:09 AM

Ok, thanks everyone! I think I have it....

1) Permit
2) First kill to an elder
3) Zorro is probably pretty good at butchering it! Seems good with the sword :-)
4a) Use longbow with arrows bundled at my waist or
4b) AK47 :BoomSmili

Hey, maybe we can have some jerky with our popcorn and Pepsi!

Oh, and 5) No Dancing :circle:

Kiwehnzii 01-22-2007 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 858192)
all that aside.... at least you can spell powwow. the guy who started this thread couldnt even do that. should be worth some rep points

Yer a good speller. Could you give me a little history of how this word came to be and what native nation confirmed that this indeed, is the absolute, final answer to the question - how do you spell it.

Please.............. carry on. I get much enjoyment from reading your responses as I suspect Ojibod does also.

Miigwech. ( Is that spelled right) ( If it isn't, I will suffer much humiliation)

FluteMaker 01-22-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii (Post 858345)
Yer a good speller. Could you give me a little history of how this word came to be and what native nation confirmed that this indeed, is the absolute, final answer to the question - how do you spell it.

Please.............. carry on. I get much enjoyment from reading your responses as I suspect Ojibod does also.

Miigwech. ( Is that spelled right) ( If it isn't, I will suffer much humiliation)

as far as i know, and i may be wrong,but the contemporary spelling is phonetic ; pow wow. supposedly comes from an algonquin term pau wau which supposedly meant something along the lines of gathering of the people or depending on who you ask gathering of medcine/holy people.

however, dont rely on me for the most accurate and conclusive answer, im a much better smart a$$ than i am a historian

Sleeping Bear 01-22-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KoolNDN (Post 858137)
Not necessarily, but don't forget to stop and get a hunting permit if want to hunt on the rez.

In addition don't forget to offer your first kill to an elder - but then again you already knew that now didn't you:smile:

I didn't know that, but I'm glad I do now.
Thanks.

Sleeping Bear 01-22-2007 11:34 AM

Quote:

No, just the ones who don't know how to hunt. Without the bullet-sprayers, they'd be vegetarians.

swbreez 01-22-2007 02:57 PM

I agree

After reading all posts I have to say I agree with everyone, easy copout. I think it's up to the individual to hate or not. There are a lot of Indians that grow up hearing about how bad white people are and even experiencing racism in ever so overt ways. It shapes viewpoints of people in general. It does take time to view people on a get to know basis. Until then, it's all experience. It's kind of funny to try to base logic on other areas based on one comment, example, the bowling comment.
I myself like to see white people dance at pow-wows, it's funny!! My mom and I always have a good chuckle when watching.

Zorro 01-22-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FluteMaker (Post 858372)
however, dont rely on me for the most accurate and conclusive answer, im a much better smart a$$ than i am a historian

I suspect he knew that already... :cool:

FluteMaker 01-22-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Bear (Post 858387)
No, just the ones who don't know how to hunt. Without the bullet-sprayers, they'd be vegetarians.

that expains alot.... i was told once that vegetarian was an ancient ndn word that meant 'cant hunt worth a chit'

FluteMaker 01-22-2007 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 858486)
I suspect he knew that already... :cool:

wheeeew, thats a relief..... oh ,wait, did i spell that right?

superndngyrl 01-24-2007 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii (Post 858345)

kiwehnzii, indians should know how to spell these things! *L*

Lakota Wiyan 01-27-2007 10:49 AM

[QUOTE=ojibwecommodbod;856226]

and i know, alot of people are nice here, but whoever knows me, knows i'm nice as long as u know yer place. u dont see me coming to bowling league telling you how to bowl.

QUOTE]

This reminds me of one of those KKK "Good Ole Boys" from long ago who would be nice "As long as you know your place". I'm certainly glad this kind of racist hatered that just reeks of White Supremist influence doesn't represent me and my family and certainly not my tribe. We all have the same kind of feelings from time to time about non-natives taking their "respect and adulation" beyond the boundaries and push it to Mockery, but come on...Racism begets Racism, and I want to be able to have credibility when I fight against it.

And who gave Non-natives BOWLING??? Why make it a non-native only activity????? Dang, I like bowling!!!:regular_s

TKMJ Productions 01-27-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Gee Whiz FluteMaker, Is that right? AK47s and AK15s? Interesting! Now was the white people hunt or hunt white people? With all the post on the thread that I just looked at (almost 100) to get me up to speed, I'm getting a little confused.

What ever happened to that rock solid M16 with a 12Xscope? Now that gun is great for hunting white people or was that what white people hunt with? No matter. I use my great grandfathers bow for all my hunting.

Now about this bowling thing. NDNs do bowl. I know because I bowl. My white side sees the pins as pins and my red side sees the pins as little cowboys.

Me being mixed should I consider shooting myself in the foot? The problem is which one should I shoot. They both look the same. I can't tell which one is the red side and which one is white.

Can you see why I am so confused? And where can I get a good pair of bowling mocs?:confused_

indianjoe1946 01-27-2007 06:39 PM

QUOTE]

This reminds me of one of those KKK "Good Ole Boys" from long ago who would be nice "As long as you know your place". I'm certainly glad this kind of racist hatered that just reeks of White Supremist influence doesn't represent me and my family and certainly not my tribe. We all have the same kind of feelings from time to time about non-natives taking their "respect and adulation" beyond the boundaries and push it to Mockery, but come on...Racism begets Racism, and I want to be able to have credibility when I fight against it.

And who gave Non-natives BOWLING??? Why make it a non-native only activity????? Dang, I like bowling!!!:regular_s[/QUOTE]

You are right.....hatred only fosters more hatred. We certainly don't need any more of that. It sounds like this young man has some serious issues.

I used to Bowl.......had a 190 average at one time. TKMJ......does it really help to visualize the pins that way ? Maybe I could raise my average, eh ?