Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Carding at Pow Wows Carding at Pow Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM   #41
Flat E!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Emmy has a reputation beyond repute
Emmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond reputeEmmy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,133.61
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
SingerD,

I was not involved with their registration. So I don't know if they carded or not.

What I can tell you is that any event sponsored by the Smithsonian National Museum of the American Indian, is very concerned with "Cultural Integrity."

Perhaps that is why I was asked to be involved?

At the powwow, there had to be a high degree of education. I would like to hope we accomplished this with the theme "Origins of the Powwow."

At one point, I put a thread on powwows.com asking for the readership to select their "dream head staff."

Needless to say, this DID have some influence on who was selected to be our head staff. Another major consideration in selecting the head staff and "original dancers" was to involve as many regions of powwow country as possible.
i dont think they did card...

but i remember once at a powwow in maryland i was carded...um... by a tribe not recognized, i found it kind hypocritical.

~Flat Beat~
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2006, 11:34 AM   #42
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmy
i dont think they did card...

Emmy,

Are you talkin' bout' the Tom Tom Club?

*LOL
Old 03-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #43
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
I am sorry if what I said offended some people but I was just trying to say the best way possible.

BTW, Singerdad I was carded in Fayetteville one time too so people don't think I haven't been through it before.

Plus, for other peoples all though neither of my tribes are federally recognized they are state recognized. Plus, when it comes to the cards I let the Head Judge make the decision about which one to accept. That is why I call for him.

Last edited by NDNQt; 03-02-2006 at 12:31 PM..
NDNQt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2006, 12:37 PM   #44
PowWows.com Addicts

NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
NDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond reputeNDNQt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,809.51
And also these aren't NDNQt's powwows these are powwows that NDNQt is paid to do this and have been told that is part of the reason they hire me because I will do what the staff asks of me. If they want me to card I do and if they don't I won't.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 PM   #45
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
[QUOTE=powwowbum49]
Not all the Canadian bands have cards. The only bands issued cards by the Canadian government those that signed treaty. Most of the bands from Nunavuit and the NWT as well as many from BC and a few from Alberta never signed treaty but have signed 'land claim' deals with the Canadian government and are afforded many/all the same kinda rights as the treaty bands that are issued cards. My wife's band is a land claim band and is not issued cards by the Canadian government...nor does her band issue their own cards. She is enrolled in her band as a 4x4 native (even though there was a white boy that snuck into the woodshed way back). So my dear 'fullblood' native wife can't dance at Qt's powwow or most of the others in NC...sad.

QUOTE]

you may be able to get the cards at the band office or administration office but they are not "band issued cards" but government issued cards (INAC)

if you ever see a card for example saying "Sweetgrass Cree Tribe" its fake - lol.

they are all say "Certificate of Indian Status - this is the certify that .... is an indian within the meaning of the Indian Act, chapter 27, Statutes of Canada (1985) and it says on the back or front (dependin on how old the card is ..) registry group (a number) and a band name (Sweetgrass or what have you)
Old 03-03-2006, 12:57 AM   #46
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff
they are all say "Certificate of Indian Status - this is the certify that .... is an indian within the meaning of the Indian Act, chapter 27, Statutes of Canada (1985) and it says on the back or front (dependin on how old the card is ..) registry group (a number) and a band name (Sweetgrass or what have you)
Those are still what the treaty/status bands get ... From what I have been told by the folks I talked to in the canadian government, the land claims bands are not issued those or any other card from the government. The band does submit a registry of it's enrolled members and eligible dependents annually and thus all the members have an enrollment # registered with the Canadian government...but that is all. As I understand it some of the land claim bands are starting to issue their own cards with the members enrollment # on it, but the card is not from the government. My wife was recently told that her band will be issuing cards to members that request one that has their name and land claim # on it (no picture though and it is from the band...not the government). The members have to request it though since most never have a need for a card.

We had all kinds of problems with my wife and son moving down here under the Jay treaty because she was from a land claim band and thus had no card. The US immigrations guys made all kinds of calls and made us jumps through hoops asking us to come up with all kinds of documentation to prove she was from a recognized native band before they would allow her and my son to cross the border. Another down side to the land claim-vs-treaty/status bands is that the members of land claim bands cannot bring their eagle feathers across the border like treaty band/status NDN's can. I found this out from talking to Canadian Natural Resource officers and US fish and wildlife 2 summers ago when we were up in the NWT visiting the family and wanted to bring feathers back with us that were given to our daughter. We had to leave them behind because the new US law only applied to Staus card carrying native and not land claim bands...even though the Canadian government said the recognize the land claim bands as being Frist Nations.

NDNQt

I was not offended or mad at you and only called the dance 'QT's powwow' as a way of referrencing the dance you said you had work at.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #47
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
i know what you mean about jumping through hoops - i was able to social security cards for myself and my first daughter relatively easy (letter stating we are at least 50% native blood from our band and a birth certificate (ONLY issued from your local provincial government in canada (well a legal one anyways) - sask vital statistics for us) at the lawton ok soc sec office when we first went down there.

but for some reason the same office wouldn't issue numbers for my other three children unless we showed them a birth certificate issued from our band office .. lol. i was like "wtf?!?" - and i told the guy "the band administration don't issue birth certificate" and he says "well we need one"

and i tell the guy "in saskatchewan you can ONLY get birth certificates from sask vital statistics and when you have a child that's where the form goes not to your band office." and he says "we need one" and i asked him what exactly do i need the name - "he says a band issued birth certificate" and i tell him they don't exist ...

then i ask him "where do you guys get your birth certificates issued from?" - he says "the state - oklahoma city". and i say "ohhh" you do realize that's like me asking you for a birth certificate from the block your parents lived on when you were born? can you produce one? he says "no"

then i asked "why did you issue cards for me and my other daughter with the same letters/id we have now?" well you brought in a band issued birth certificate - then i got him to read my b/c out loud (where it comes from) - needless to say i never got soc sec #'s and i got feed up when i asked for a supervisor and he said he was the supervisor that day!!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #48
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I'm noticing a trend here with these posts. It seems that tribes who historically had these ways don't seem to card at their events, but tribes relatively new to this or especially on the east coast do...why is this? Is the card a means of identity?

I've never heard of any of the Oklahoma tribes carding at their dances, but virtually all here in NC do...get my point? So, you could have a Canadian Cree go down to the Waccamaw pow wow and not be allowed to compete...kinda messed up...
Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #49
is waiting ....

what is the point of it all? who EXACTLY do they want dancing at their pow wows? they should put a list of tribes they allow on their posters so ppl don't waste their time driving over.

and what if you don't necessarily don't want to compete - just dance? you can't do that either?
Old 03-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #50
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
... So, you could have a Canadian Cree go down to the Waccamaw pow wow and not be allowed to compete...kinda messed up...

SingerD,

Yup, that's messed up.

Have them "Canadian Cree" come to the Lumbee powwow.

They will be welcomed with open arms!
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 AM   #51
Pow Wow Visitor

cherokeebrave is an unknown quantity at this point
The only pow wow that I know that cards is the Alabamba - Coushatta in Texas. But that might be due to the fact that its on the rez.. I dont go to the very few pow wows that do card. Which brings up a point in my case. What about all the NDNs that have been adopted in closed cases? I haven't been able to get around that myself. Isn't the purpose of the pow wow to continue the tradition?
cherokeebrave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 PM   #52
is waiting ....

i know i never thought of that ^^ - i have a first cousin who was adopted out as a young child but he was registered with his band before he was adopted - he has a different name now. he is having trouble getting his status card now - he was adopted to white american couple though.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #53
Junior Dancer

rasmel will become famous soon enough
How about carding the drummers

At one pow wow in VA, I was card 'd and turn 'd away because I didn't have one(card). While walking away one of the female dances made the statement, "they won't let you dance? They should card some of these drummers."
At another pow wow in VA, I was card 'd and turn 'd away, when friends ask why I left I told them I did not want to get into politics. Friends always say come get them if I am not allowed to dance. But that seems to me to be politics. I was not offended or mad. Well a lil piss'd.
I've been turn 'd away after driving 4 hours (one way)to Maryland, to dance. I use to put on my regalia then go register........now I go register 1st.
I've seen a dancer w/alcohol on his breath dancing in the circle. HE WAS ASK'D TO LEAVE THE CIRCLE later in the day by the AD. I guess he had a card.
My feeling is if you respect the circle and you have proper regalia you should be able to dance. If your a great dancer and you win................well so be it. I don't compete, I just come to dance,be w/friends,family and meet new people.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:21 PM   #54
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
east & west????

aren't we forgetting that powwows in the west are different from those on the east coast? -in that they are typically attended by all indians - not always, but definitely more so than ones on the east coast would be

in nc, where a lot of powwows are in cities or semi-urban places, you get a lot of non-indians + all the wacko hobbyists - it's open to the public.....

and, powwows aren't as big over here (since they're not our tradition) so the majority of your tribal members aren't gonna turn out like they would at say, the Crow Fair, which my friend says is the EVENT OF THE YEAR......

i'm not saying this is across the board but it's a different scenario here in N. Cakalakie and i see no problem with carding -

that's my 2 cents........

Last edited by geronimo; 03-05-2006 at 06:31 PM..
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #55
Junior Dancer

rasmel will become famous soon enough
The sting of public humiliations

"I kinda long for the old days when, if you went to a Powwow and were not appropriate, The elders or Whipmen would expose you for what you were. The sting of public humiliations or the treat of one would do the same job. "

i agree
Old 03-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #56
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 123,607.30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
I'm noticing a trend here with these posts. It seems that tribes who historically had these ways don't seem to card at their events, but tribes relatively new to this or especially on the east coast do...why is this? Is the card a means of identity?

I've never heard of any of the Oklahoma tribes carding at their dances, but virtually all here in NC do...get my point? So, you could have a Canadian Cree go down to the Waccamaw pow wow and not be allowed to compete...kinda messed up...
I've seen Kieth Sharphead dance there. Oh, wait a minute...He's Aztec by marriage!LOL

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links