Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk THE CHEROKEE Thread THE CHEROKEE Thread

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,562.70
Savings: 0.00
THE CHEROKEE Thread

I have run into more Cherokees at powwows than almost any other tribe. The Cherokee host two excellent powwows: The Cherokee 4 of July Powwow in Cherokee, North Carolina and the Cherokee Holiday Powwow in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.

___

There are 3 federally recognized groups of Cherokees: The Cherokee Nation (Tahlequah, OK), Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (Cherokee, NC) and United Keetoowah Band of Cherokees (Park Hill, OK). The former Delaware Tribe of Indians (Bartlesville, OK) has technically been absorbed into the Cherokee Nation.

Today, there are many full blood Cherokees who are still very traditional and speak their language. I have had the priviledge of attending a tribal council meeting of the United Keetoowah Band in which most of the meeting was communicated in the Cherokee Language. I have also met many language speakers from the Oklahoma Cherokees in the Vian, Bell and Stillwell communities as well as language speakers from the North Carolina Cherokees of the Bird Town, Wolf Town and Soco communities. Needless to say, THERE ARE TRADITIONAL CHEROKEE!

With this said, some may ask "what about all the others who claim to be Cherokee?"

To this I say here are other Cherokee bands that I have come across:

Cherokee River Indian Community (Alabama)
Cherokee Band of NE Alabama
Cherokee Band of SE Alabama
United Cherokee of AniYunWiya Nation (Alabama)
Wolf Creek Cherokee Tribe (Alabama)
Echota Cherokee (Alabama)
White River Band of Northern Cherokee of Missouri and Alabama
Southeastern Cherokee (Alabama)
Lost Cherokee Nation of Arkansas and Missouri
Cherokee of California
Eastern Cherokee of Georgia
Cherokee of Georgia Tribal Council
Red Nation of the Cherokee (Kansas)
Southern Cherokee Nation of Kentucky
Amonsoquath Tribe of Cherokee (Missouri)
Northern Cherokee Nation of Old Louisana Territory (Missouri)
Northern Cherokee Nation of Missouri
Western Cherokee Nation of Missouri
Tallige Cherokee Nation (Ohio)
Chikamaka-Cherokee of South Cumberland Plateau (Tennessee)
Far Away Cherokee (Tennessee)
Tsalagiya Nvdagi/Cherokees in Texas
Cherokee Nation of Mexico

This is only the tip of the iceburg. In one site called "buyer beware," there are over 200 Cherokee tribes and organizations. Most of these "organizations" have a Chief. Some are also soliciting donations for cultural preservation.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:51 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Good Lord.........that's a lot of groups
Old 10-31-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo
Good Lord.........that's a lot of groups

That's why statistically, the Cherokee are THE largest tribe in America!

Anybody else run across other Cherokee tribal groups?
Old 10-31-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
*Mystic Paradise*

*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute
Hey what about the United Cherokee Indian Tribe of Virginia....that's where my people are from!

Wow, I didn't have any idea it was that many Cherokee groups. I learn something new everyday!
Old 10-31-2005, 04:40 PM   #5
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
That's why statistically, the Cherokee are THE largest tribe in America!

Anybody else run across other Cherokee tribal groups?
They're the largest tribe b/c you can be 1/512 and be considered Cherokee.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

opwaaganasin is a jewel in the rough
joke i heard

russel standing rock said this at a powwow one time. "i want to know who the cherokee princess was that had all these white babies?" damn near died laughing
opwaaganasin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2005, 10:38 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CherokeeTears*
Hey what about the United Cherokee Indian Tribe of Virginia....that's where my people are from!

Wow, I didn't have any idea it was that many Cherokee groups. I learn something new everyday!

ummmmmm, yeah..............
Old 11-01-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CherokeeTears*

Wow

Siyo! Well, there are that many Cherokee "groups" but only three Cherokee tribes. No doubt members of some of these groups do have a bona fide Cherokee heritage...no doubt in my mind about that...but those are few and far between and they don't constitute a tribe. Tribes remain strong groups of people throughout time and history...they don't organize in 1996, incorporate in 1997, apply for federal recognition in 1998 and gripe about not getting that recognition in 1999. Not quite how it works...but its certainly the way many of these "groups" operate.

As for traditional Cherokees...yes there are some. More in Oklahoma than here in North Carolina, but there are some in both communities. The language is dying out at an alarming rate. Here there is a language immersion program for infants, but the problem is it only has 8 babies in there right now, and won't have any more slots open for another five years. So, 8 kids get to have that chance, but no one else.

I am proud that my daughter is a native Cherokee speaker and fluent in the language. She wasn't in that program...didn't start until after she was already two, but she learned from her grandparents.

So, there are traditional Cherokees, but there's a lot more Baptist, bible-thumping Cherokees. Oh, and as for blood quantums, the Eastern Band's is 1/16, United Keetoowah Band's is 1/4, and the Cherokee Nation doesn't have one...just have to prove lineal descendancy back to their original roll.

Sgi.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandaePrincess

But I've been told it's the other way around!
~pathwalker~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
Quote:
gOOT oNE--->
ooooooo--SO THAT WHY THERES SO MANY.....
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #11
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Quote:
In one site called "buyer beware," there are over 200 Cherokee tribes and organizations. Most of these "organizations" have a Chief. Some are also soliciting donations for cultural preservation.
are such solicitations legal?
are these "organizations" formed as 501-C-3 "non-profit" groups then??
I'm so confused by this!
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Originally Posted by walela49
are such solicitations legal?
are these "organizations" formed as 501-C-3 "non-profit" groups then??
I'm so confused by this!
Yes, they are legal if they have incorporated under nonprofit status.

But instead of having a CEO, Director or President, most have "chiefs." That is why there are so many "Cherokee chiefs."

I still haven't got a good answer why there are so many people who are descendents of....

Cherokee Princess's ???

Seriously, I wonder how traditional Cherokee feel about this?

Last edited by WhoMe; 11-01-2005 at 12:16 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 PM   #13
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
so do these groups really ever stand a chance of gaining federal recognition as a tribe?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Actually that is not true
THE Three Federally Recognized Tribes only count to 1/4 which is federal guidelines and managed by the BIA...
A tribal card can be issued to any that wish, even though they are below the minimum and have no rights to vote or to services. But understand this!
They still have to meet the requirements for membership
by tracing direct ancestery to one of the rolls in my case the Dawes rolls of 1907...
The government only counts 1/4 or more and that is where the count comes from
Understand also the Dawes Rolls was closed in 1907 and there are still poeple that try to get it changed or ammended
Because there ancestors only claimed a 1/2 or some thing like that
Even though they have proof from other rolls they clamimed more the Dawes rolls Stands!
I have cousins that should be fullbloods but there card only say 1/4 or 1/2!!!
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #15
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Yes, they are legal if they have incorporated under nonprofit status.

But instead of having a CEO, Director or President, most have "chiefs." That is why there are so many "Cherokee chiefs."

I still haven't got a good answer why there are so many people who are descendents of....

Cherokee Princess's ???

Seriously, I wonder how traditional Cherokee feel about this?
http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=29628
I answered this question on this thread a while back about Cherokee Princess's
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 12:46 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

Rumor Mill

Another rumor I've heard was that a lot of times when whites intermarried with blacks they'd have a dark or brown or fairer skin grandmother and instead of saying she was black or mixed, they'd say she was Indian.......They'd want to pass them off as that b/c of course to be white and have black people in your family was taboo at that time- So, they passed them off as their Indian grandmas/family members to appease all of their whitebred, color-hatin' counterparts -Again, just something I've heard..........

All I know is no one must have been having Indian male babies - birth ratio must have been 100 to 1 - only female princesses....
Old 11-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #17
*Mystic Paradise*

*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo
Another rumor I've heard was that a lot of times when whites intermarried with blacks they'd have a dark or brown or fairer skin grandmother and instead of saying she was black or mixed, they'd say she was Indian.......They'd want to pass them off as that b/c of course to be white and have black people in your family was taboo at that time- So, they passed them off as their Indian grandmas/family members to appease all of their whitebred, color-hatin' counterparts -Again, just something I've heard..........

All I know is no one must have been having Indian male babies - birth ratio must have been 100 to 1 - only female princesses....
Yeah, I heard that too just recently.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute~pathwalker~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah
http://powwows.com/gathering/showthread.php?t=29628
I answered this question on this thread a while back about Cherokee Princess's
That thread has some messed up comments on it...

But I've been told it's the other way around!
~pathwalker~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #19
*Mystic Paradise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~pathwalker~
That thread has some messed up comments on it...
Hey PW, I read them comments earlier. I can't believe that person said what she said! That hurt me because she's talking about my people as well as hers. It's really f-ed up!
Old 11-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #20
the legal plumes lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah
Actually that is not true
THE Three Federally Recognized Tribes only count to 1/4 which is federal guidelines and managed by the BIA...
A tribal card can be issued to any that wish, even though they are below the minimum and have no rights to vote or to services. But understand this!
They still have to meet the requirements for membership
by tracing direct ancestery to one of the rolls in my case the Dawes rolls of 1907...
The government only counts 1/4 or more and that is where the count comes from
Understand also the Dawes Rolls was closed in 1907 and there are still poeple that try to get it changed or ammended
Because there ancestors only claimed a 1/2 or some thing like that
Even though they have proof from other rolls they clamimed more the Dawes rolls Stands!
I have cousins that should be fullbloods but there card only say 1/4 or 1/2!!!
uuummmmm, I think the 1/512 comment was a joke dude!
Sponsored Links