Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Corpses in the Circle Corpses in the Circle

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #61
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndneyez is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
No offense BUT.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
There were many ceramony's going on and being taken care of.
This may be the problem here. I think you're coming off argumentative to some people (some, not all) because YOU have faith in what was done to "fix" the problem. YOU know what was done. YOU know who did what. YOU have had a chance to converse with those individuals. YOU believe that what they did "took care of the problem." If you put yourself in my shoes and the rest of the people who have posted you would understand where they are coming from.
I personally don't know who did what to take care of it. Even from your posts, I know a different occurance of the events that took place. Do you really think anybody wants to put their families well-being in the hands of a stranger when it comes to a situation like this? We (the dancers) weren't even told what had been done to remedy the problem. We weren't told what "ceremony" was held. We don't know who performed this "ceremony." It's just too bizaare a situation to leave in the hands of a stranger.
Also, it's a sad truth but EVERYTHING that happens at a pow-wow rests on the shoulders of the committee. I've served on my pow-wow committee for 4 years. The committee is the body that oversees all "goings-on" of a pow-wow. Their fault or not......everybody will blame them. For example, 2 teen girls who have been enemies for years decide to exchange "unpleasantries" in the G.E. line. Whose face did the father of the teen get into for allowing that to happen??? Us, the pow-wow committee. It is sad to say but my first thought was, "this is a good way to ensure people won't come back to this pow-wow."
It is nice to try and defend those involved but it is the responsibility they took on when they decided to have the pow-wow.
Also, I posted this thread to hear ALL thoughts. Some I agree with, some I don't. It is nice to hear what everybody has to say. And I really don't think anybody has "bashed" anybody SO FAR......lol
ndneyez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #62
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndneyez View Post
This may be the problem here. I think you're coming off argumentative to some people (some, not all) because YOU have faith in what was done to "fix" the problem. YOU know what was done. YOU know who did what. YOU have had a chance to converse with those individuals. YOU believe that what they did "took care of the problem." If you put yourself in my shoes and the rest of the people who have posted you would understand where they are coming from.
I personally don't know who did what to take care of it. Even from your posts, I know a different occurance of the events that took place. Do you really think anybody wants to put their families well-being in the hands of a stranger when it comes to a situation like this? We (the dancers) weren't even told what had been done to remedy the problem. We weren't told what "ceremony" was held. We don't know who performed this "ceremony." It's just too bizaare a situation to leave in the hands of a stranger.
Also, it's a sad truth but EVERYTHING that happens at a pow-wow rests on the shoulders of the committee. I've served on my pow-wow committee for 4 years. The committee is the body that oversees all "goings-on" of a pow-wow. Their fault or not......everybody will blame them. For example, 2 teen girls who have been enemies for years decide to exchange "unpleasantries" in the G.E. line. Whose face did the father of the teen get into for allowing that to happen??? Us, the pow-wow committee. It is sad to say but my first thought was, "this is a good way to ensure people won't come back to this pow-wow."
It is nice to try and defend those involved but it is the responsibility they took on when they decided to have the pow-wow.
Also, I posted this thread to hear ALL thoughts. Some I agree with, some I don't. It is nice to hear what everybody has to say. And I really don't think anybody has "bashed" anybody SO FAR......lol
That is exactly what I'm trying to do is insure people that it was done in a good way without putting names out on the net as I was told not to do. Being there and talking to the people and knowing them for years is very different then to not know anything. If you want to know just PM me and ask, I would tell you. And I will tell you, gladly if that would make you feel better since you were there too. But then again, other's have talked about if it happened by them they know who woud take care of it and then many go on, well it's the same thing here, I do know and many don't. That is very unfortunate and since you don't know me why would you take just my word for it, I am totally understanding that, but no different then someone else mentioning dealing with "their" medicine people. And there was an announcement made by one man who also took care of some when he danced and sang infront of the people. Many may not have been there when that happened, but again I was and saw what was being done at that time and it was before the grand entry on Sunday.

And I do have extreme and no question without a doubt faith in the people who took care of it, but that is--also due to the fact that I have known many of them for many years (outside of just this event as well) and know how they are personally and what they live and do on a regular basis.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I am trying to reassure people from seeing it with my own eyes and actually talking to the people who did most of it that it was honestly and sincerely taken care of in a good way.

Last edited by timmy tiger; 09-24-2008 at 05:26 PM..
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 AM   #63
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
TT, Personally, I respect that you didn't name names or all that AND that you respected your Elders whom have told you not to do so.

Death is a part of life, we have no control of when its going to happen or where its going to happen. Since no one really knew whom it was or who put the ashes out there, I see that the committee or AD did what they had to do to 'take care of it' in the ways that they know how to do.

Even Buckskin Pantyhose even posted about the DC powwow whom an elder passed on in the arena but people still go to this powwow. I have seen elder dancers pass on in an arena, including a very popular highly publicized powwow arena in California but still people go there. Like someone else said there are powwows that are held in gyms that funerals or wakes have been held in too. Besides, like I said in my previous post, this entire earth is full of 1000's of years of bone or ash of ALL living things that passed on, you have no idea whom or what you are walking on. Me, myself, and my family have been 'taken care of' in our ways that it won't bother us. But that is my own personal thing not everyone else's.

Point is these are INTER-TRIBAL Powwows with many many many different tribes each with their own beliefs and different ways to deal with death or situations like these. There is no set one specific protocal on how to deal with these situations. I can't tell someone their views or opinions are crazy or not the right way because I am not part of their tribe. I only believe in our ways, the Navajo way, in which how we deal with death. Not even our ways even within our own tribe has one set protocal, its up to the family and the elders within that family or medicine man that dictates what happens. Personally, I stick with my own traditional ways and get things taken care of on my personal time, I don't bring it upon others, and I certainly don't tell others how to do things. There are many different ways that we all deal with things, nothing is the RIGHT way.

There are people who are super traditional, some are dedicated to the church, and many other types of beliefs that each tribe has but we can't bicker amongst eachother on how to deal with these situations. If the AD and the committee has 'taken care' of things, then I believe they have. You can most certainly tell if it has been done. But not everyone has these insights or beliefs, I have grown to respect and accept that.

But I respect everyone's views and how different tribes or families deal with things. I also teach my son to respect anothers opinions or views, there is no one right way. But he does listen and respect his elders, like I do.

Anyways, I said what I had to say........

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 01:18 PM   #64
Tiny Tot Dancer

OneidaLuv77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 190.00
Unhappy I agree with NDNEYES

Ok I went to this PW too! And its far too frequented with Hobbiests......geezuz... You dont hear of these things where there are more Native people in the circle. SORRY just had to put that out there. Im glad NDN EYEs put this on here, cause I NEVER heard of throwin ashes in the dance circle. WE were all shocked, confused, scared, upset, respectable....etc... I respect people who have passed on and dont have the nerve to dance on them. Dancing for them is different NOT on them. Theres a time and place for everything, this PW was not one of them.....well any pw for that matter. AND yeah when you put on a PW all liability is on the committee I dont care what anyone says. This place does have wierd vibes as Shan-lyn was saying. Cause even the spectators and the non-native vendors were rude. Most MCs at PWs like this announce the ettiquette for non-native people, and that did not happen. I dont like someone sayin " hey you NDN can I take a picture of you. " I am not a damn monkey...... Anyway take it or leave it thats my opinion.
OneidaLuv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM   #65
Tiny Tot Dancer

OneidaLuv77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 190.00
Thumbs down Also like to add....

Why would you barry them than remove them......?? Bad enough you buried them in the middle of the arena... but to dig the ashes up and remove again....WTF?? Dont sound to ceremonial...... man NAGPRA would have a field day.
OneidaLuv77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #66
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaLuv77 View Post
Why would you barry them than remove them......?? Bad enough you buried them in the middle of the arena... but to dig the ashes up and remove again....WTF?? Dont sound to ceremonial...... man NAGPRA would have a field day.
I'm sorry but that was two different things. The person that put them there was not a part of the pow wow and no one knew, then the campgrounds people came in and took them out. I don't honestly think that (but then I really don't know that one for sure either) the person who did this was even still there at the time. This was not a ceramony at all as far as I have been told by the ones who took care of it.

As far as the committee, I have no clue who they are and I've never seen them, that I know of.LOL
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #67
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
ok.......I am curious now, after reading thru all this.....I don't go to powwows like this, I even quit going to Indio/29 Palms because someone had passed away in the arena.....(that was some years back)...but, what I want to know (if you want to PM me on this) is where this powwow is so I don't hurt myself or others that come with me (In a spiritual sense) and I can avoid it........it's bad enough I got other things on my mind, I don't need to add another.....

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #68
yargh!

Luzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cal View Post
ok.......I am curious now, after reading thru all this.....I don't go to powwows like this, I even quit going to Indio/29 Palms because someone had passed away in the arena.....(that was some years back)...but, what I want to know (if you want to PM me on this) is where this powwow is so I don't hurt myself or others that come with me (In a spiritual sense) and I can avoid it........it's bad enough I got other things on my mind, I don't need to add another.....
I agree
Luzenza is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #69
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 132,907.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50cal View Post
I was at that powwow.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2008, 10:57 AM   #70
Ta' Shunke Witko

Pheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond reputePheji Wanbli has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Wow

dances with the dead... yea we herd through ndn vine..i know the ad, and mc. prob took care of it..they should have did a water cermonie and washed um away..
MITAKUYE OYASIN... "then I was standing on the highest mountain of them all , and round about beneath me was the whole hoop of the world . and while i stood there I saw more than I can tell . and I Under Stood more then I saw . for I Was Seeing in a Sacred manner the Shapes of All . Hehaka Sapa. dec 1863-aug 17 or 19 , 1950.. listen online TO KILI 90.1 FM porcupine butte
Pheji Wanbli is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links