Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Disqualification Disqualification

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
Disqualification

Has anybody seen a dance contest where the dancer was disqualified?

In the evolution of contests, the honor system used to be prevalent. if a dancer dropped a major item or over/understepped the last beat of the contest song, they disqualified themselves. Anybody seen that happen lately? *L

Has you seen a commiittee or head judge ever disqualified someone?

What about drum disqualification?

Last edited by WhoMe; 07-02-2009 at 03:56 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,417.91
They still disqualify dancers at Whiteeagle....

Outside of that, I haven't seen it done. I've heard things such as dancers losing points for a session, but is it really enforced. Seems like the dancers in question manage to place anyways. Then its also possible for a dancer to get disqualified without being informed, as way to avoid conflict/diva-ish behavior.

Who knows, most committees seem to be secrative anyways. lol
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
Savings: 1.00
alot of pow wows have it in the rules ... and if you try to play it off ... the AD inforces it. either by walking over and tapping them ... or mentioning to the judges.

this past wknd ... two male dancers were caught doing drugs (by security) and the committee asked them to leave (that was on friday night). guess they should be lucky the police weren't involved ... their presence was upscaled daily ... on sunday they were patrolling the parking area regularily.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I only saw this at one powwow. In Western Washington on Sunday right after Grand Entry a traditional dancer whistled this drum and after he was completed he told the people that the committee was running a substance free powwow. These drummers who were right in there for the drumming contest were drinking and smoking marijuana and carrying on after the powwow was finished on Saturday evening. They were doing it right at the powwow grounds. Anyway, they were disqualified and sent away from the powwow. This happened a few years ago and they haven't been back since. The problem I see with this is people tend to pick and choose who they make examples of. At this same powwow a couple of years ago, another drum group was smoking up right behind where they drum and nothing was done. They are good friends with the AD and the committee. Another drummer from one group was actually selling marijuana and E from his backpack. Nothing was done. So to me it is delivering a consistent message that is important.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

Items Present
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
thizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond reputethizgirlpowwows has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,499.29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post

In the evolution of contests, the honor system used to be prevalent. if a dancer dropped a major item or over/understepped the last beat of the contest song, they disqualified themselves. Anybody seen that happen lately? *L
I have seen it happen at the smaller pws in SD and WY lately, but the AD has them come back into the arena for the 2nd song or line up with the other dancers
thizgirlpowwows is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
At a local pow wow, here in Oklahoma, just a few months ago, I saw a Jingle Dancer disqualify herself from the Jingle Dance contest because she dropped part of her regalia. I didn't see which part. She didn't finish the dance, just walked off when she noticed she had dropped something. She was the Head Lady Dancer. The MC commended her for disqualifing herself. I wanted to see her dance.
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
I see people drop dance sticks, fans, chokers, have their roaches slide down their necks, and they never walk off. I think some figure that they'll lose points with the judge that saw it, but if the others didn't then they're ok.

Used to be overstepping or understepping was a dq too. Now it's more like, oops! where's my check? I'm a diva!!!!!!
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #8
Numunnu Teh-da Puku Nu

Redstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond reputeRedstone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 290.00
Its the way I was taught, you overstep, understep, or drop something, you walk off. Do I still do that, you betcha! Of course I am ole fashion too. Of course I know if I didn't my mom, if she were here, would pull my ear and yank me off. Those ole timers were tough. But I know times are changing.
Redstone is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #9
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
a few years ago i was at a new year's eve pow wow here in CT and an Eastern War dancer had somehow accidently let go of his club and it landed some distance from people. he disqualified himslf before the song was done and he paid the drum i think some money for his boo boo.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

cconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud ofcconn9c has much to be proud of
08 prarie band potawotomi, was dancing and after i got my number taken and we were excused, AD comes over and hands me a feather, eagle feather that was :(, anywho it wasnt one of my feathers too small. So the AD disqualified me for that session. It turned out that i SoMeHoW placed 3rd. idk how that was........
cconn9c is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-02-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
I guess it's sort of like boxing, or maybe some other sports, if the ref/official don't see ya, all's well and good. You can get in some of those punches below the belt, or rabbit punches, or a thumb in the eye, head butt, as long as no one sees ya. You wouldn't want to be caught too many times, you might get the reputation of being a "Dirty Dancer".
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

misterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond reputemisterE has a reputation beyond repute
Ive seen dancers disqualify theirselves, and seen dancers who disqualify theirselves and the mc or ad would ask them to get back in line (they did).
I have NEVER seen a dancer or a drum be disqualified, while dropping items, falling down drunk dancing, being sloppy drunk singing, or being high as heck and smelling like it to boot. Party sad to see, party sad. I've always wondered how contests would come out if there were breathalyzers prior to singing... probably would still not get dq'ed no matter what they blew! HA
misterE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2009, 03:16 AM   #13
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redstone View Post
Its the way I was taught, you overstep, understep, or drop something, you walk off. Do I still do that, you betcha! Of course I am ole fashion too. Of course I know if I didn't my mom, if she were here, would pull my ear and yank me off. Those ole timers were tough. But I know times are changing.

I too would like to say that I'm a little old fashoned, just look at my clothes. I have missed the ending several times and just step out. I would never call attention to myself, so many would probably not notice. As I said, I'm not very flashy anyway. I've seen others who were and have seen those who should have been more honorable.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,654.90
((deleted previous post))

Last edited by ac_miss; 07-07-2009 at 12:10 PM..
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Quote:

I still see dancers DQ themselves. And I still see dancers pickup an item and get in line!
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #16
Lila Ma was'te na lila co

ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 162.60
i think if i miss step anymore.. i keep dancing thru it... (but it would depend on how bad i juked) ha ha ha...

now if i dropped a major piece of my outfit... (basically anything except my earrrings..) while i was dancing.. i'd get probably keep dancing... until i noticed it.. lol.. then DQ myself...

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol
ballin_n_shawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Quote:

Yep, I have a good friend of mine who overstepped one time and disqualified herself for that and no one even noticed that she overstepped, but she knew it. I just saw someone do that again this past weekend they disqualified themselves and that was nice. I was at a pow wow a couple of years ago when a young man, pre-teens, disqualified himself and the MC was so impressed that he spoke of it, that was nice too.

I've heard of dancers and drums being disqualified, but wasn't right there to know why, not my business. Just do know that it has been done and I have seen it.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #18
Tiny Tot Dancer

laokie is a glorious beacon of light
Well this is kinda sorta on the same track. Out here in Cali, I've seen that you don't even have to dance in your contest to win!! At least in the tie breakers! How a dancer can win a contest when they dance the original contest song, then don't show up for any tie breakers later and they still place! In my book, if you don't show up for your contest, ie; tie breaker, you are automatically disqualified, period. You lose everything. How can you win a contest if you don't dance in the contest? And not because of points either....you lose all your points if you're a no show. period. Next person down the list moves up...at least that's the way it should be.
Sponsored Links