Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
any wasys is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Face Paint

what the deal with face paint? i thought face painting was for the men only, well there some woman that have the right to do it, for example the crow woman dancers paint there faces. thats there way, but come on now it getting to much. there was a woman at red earth in woman jingle that panted her forhead red. now i know she dont have the right to paint up and woman jingle are not suppose to wear paint? maby she trying to start a new style?i dont know but woman jingle are not suppose to were paint and i know that she dont have the right to were it too. there othere style of dances that were paint too. men grass are starting to were paint. they are not supose to were paint too. i guess there want to look cool or diffrent too. i think they are trying to stand out. i wonder if there dancing is not enuf to make theme win so they paint up.
some of these guy look like a clown. now i know there some people who got the right to wear paint. these people do it right and dont go crazy. now for the men fancy there ok because there are suppose to look flashey..and it more a modern dance, some with the woman fancy...
any wasys is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
junior dancer/singer

medicineboisingincuz is an unknown quantity at this point
iight c tha thing is not looking good its bout wut uve bben through. u c somthin ur not used to go up and ask them y their doin it then judge them. jus my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
Swan Lake Ojibway

ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 241.60
I might get slammed for this, but here are my two cents. Face paint is fine if not overdone. I have seen many male dancers with full-face paint and it scared the be-jesus out of me. I like the one comment my brother-in-law made in regards to this. Many dancers go for the "hollywood" look. Not really thinking of the meaning behind the facepaint.

As for a jingle dress dancer, I don't agree with women coloring parts of their faces.
ojibwaywmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Quote:
Originally Posted by any wasys
there was a woman at red earth in woman jingle that panted her forhead red.
Maybe she just missed with the lipstick. Aye!
Kool Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2004, 04:47 PM   #5
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineboisingincuz
iight c tha thing is not looking good its bout wut uve bben through. u c somthin ur not used to go up and ask them y their doin it then judge them. jus my 2 cents.
huh?

can someone explain what this means here...can't understand their ebonics *L*

LMAO JK :p
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-08-2004, 05:29 PM   #6
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
that's right... us crow women DO wear paint!
well my family does anyways... we've been given the right to wear paint and understand the stories, the medicine and the design of the paint that has been given to us and why we use the colors we do.
same with the men of my family... they all use the same face paint and always retell the story when painting other family members. for example when my father always paints my brother before pws he always tells the story of the paint, and the colors used and what each shape symbolizes.
i've always asked the same questions... why do certain people wear paint... but my family has always educated me on what we do and how we do it - as long as we're going about it in the right way
Old 06-08-2004, 05:47 PM   #7
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Well this one time when I was watching Wind Walker.....

I slipped and fell and smacked muh head on the T.V. ever since that point i've painted the way in which I do.....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #8
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 430.00
I am not an expert on all the different tribal ways but from what I've learned, some women of certain tribes do paint up. They may paint their foreheads red and there is a reason and meaning behind this. I know some women that paint white on the side of their eyes. Myself, I do this. I don't get crazy and do KISS designs or nothing but then that's not my style.
If you don't know politely inquire about it. It's impossible to know why people do something if you don't ask.
That's just my frybread flavor though!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?
FancyStar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2004, 10:10 AM   #9
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah the whole jingle dress dancer sporting a red forehead doesn't sit well with me. Basically because, if she was following her tribal ways then she would be dancing in her tribal dress.

I think something that is equally as disturbing is girls who insist on wearing the whole MAC makeup line while dancing. I mean, I can understand coverup cuz lawd knows excerisce only exacerbates our greasy mugs and a little bit of whatever makes a woman feel good. But when I see homegirl wearing foundation, blush, concealer, eyeshadow (in the same wide array of floro colors as their dress), eyeliner, mascara, lipliner, lipstick, pressed powder, bronzer and shimmer...eeks!

BUX and BUSHY! I love that you girls follow your ways so closely...and I love the designs you all wear. GORGEOUS!
Old 06-09-2004, 10:19 AM   #10
What Will Be Will Be

FancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond reputeFancyStar has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby, I can agree with you about jinglers sporting the red head. I see your point on that. As for the girls with the make up line, I'm sorry but how do you do it?
If I was to wear anything other than a minimum on eye liner and colored chapstick it would melt off my face after a hot grand entry.
I just can't do it!
Not to mention, after dancing all day your face already feels grimy so I couldn't imagine putting more stuff on it.

But hey, do your thang, chicken wing!

Why do some people bother breathing when you know their brain isn't getting the oxygen?
Old 06-09-2004, 11:08 AM   #11
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
I hear that! I mean, I wear powder and eyeliner (and have a lip gloss fetish) but I have literally seen girls lookin like they just went bobbing for Maybelline. I am not even hatin, just think that the girls who insist on cakin' their face should allow their beauty to shine with their dancing.

When it comes to tha club tho, everything is coordinated...from my hat to tha shoes to tha eyeshadow to nail polish. Just keep it minimal while at the pws.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:26 AM   #12
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
huh?

can someone explain what this means here...can't understand their ebonics *L*
LMAO JK :p

Maybe you need "Hooked on Ebonics"!! :rofl2:
Old 06-09-2004, 11:33 AM   #13
cool...calm...collected

bushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
bushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond reputebushy_braids has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby
BUX and BUSHY! I love that you girls follow your ways so closely...and I love the designs you all wear. GORGEOUS!
thanks for the lubb JIBBS - you always make a sista smile!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:12 PM   #14
Swan Lake Ojibway

ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 241.60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby
When it comes to tha club tho, everything is coordinated...from my hat to tha shoes to tha eyeshadow to nail polish.
LOL...I can just see Jibby working it in her Granimal outfit in tha club...:D
ojibwaywmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2004, 04:33 PM   #15
What Will Be Will Be

She'll have a matching pink sequin cowboy hat wo go with her outfit!!
( walks in the club with a handraised) " OH, ShyT, Girl! That's my song! That's my song"
LOL

Old 06-10-2004, 11:42 PM   #16
Junior Dancer

beefy_cheefy is an unknown quantity at this point
okay here's the deal..not only CROW women paint their foreheads red..in my way, a girl is allowed to paint her face when she reaches womanhood (REDFOREHEAD, or on the upper part of her cheek bones, the line where her hair is split)..some women paint their faces for different reasons, my grampa who is no longer here(died in 1980) said that it is a form of protection, personally I dont think there is anything wrong with it, in fact it is very traditional of a young woman to paint her face in such a manner..so i hope i helped you understand that painted faces is not just a man thing..a red forehead signifies womanhood...dang my own mom still does a red forehead...
beefy_cheefy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2004, 01:03 PM   #17
What Will Be Will Be

Cool. Thanx for some insight. What tribe are you?

Old 06-15-2004, 01:13 AM   #18
♥ùë≥Σ”ÃÉé♥

49'sweetheart is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard that the reason behind MEN painting there foreheads red was because they were sundancers. i dont know the reason of women but i would think it was for sundancing also. or there tribe. my dad dances traditional and he did 4 years of sundancing and he told me thats why he paints his forehead red.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:29 AM   #19
Senior Dancer

sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 101.00
Well, this is my opinion:
In my tribe you are either "skush" or "geishko", according to your birth order. There are different color paints for these affiliations. Also, clans wear different color paints, as with if your father was first born and chief clan. So, sometimes there are issues that some people are not aware of. I wear white because of my dad, and can wear red, grey or yellow because of my clans, women societies, etc. My husband is Comanche,they wear the red earth paint when they dance, as is BJ who wears the red paint when she dances. This is a paint saved for celebrations and also for ceremonial purposes.
So, don't be too quick to judge when you don't know where someone is coming from. White paint on women is very significant in my tribe, we don't wear it just for the fun of it or because it looks cool. I am sure there are some that wear paint for the "effect", but not everyone does. So, paint can be very traditional, or it can be just for effect, depending on the upbringing of the individual.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-16-2004, 12:04 PM   #20
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
you all listen to SLTATE she is about the most level headed person on this site.
Paint is very complex...Like she said; for powow it is probably just for show. But there are many ways to paint. I was given my 'paint'. I did not just make up a way to paint...I paint the same way everytime. and it is the same way my folks painted for generations, my children paint this way and my grandchildren will.
When I go into the earth I will be painted this way.