PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   Gathering of Nations is this week (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/gathering-nations-week-70607/)

WhoMe 04-24-2017 03:30 PM

Gathering of Nations is this week

1. What do you think when you hear the words Gathering of Nations?
2. Have you ever been to the GON? If so, what did you think?
3. If you have never been, do you want to go?
4. What have you heard about the Gathering of Nations?
5. Do you watch the live feed on powwows.com?

OLChemist 04-24-2017 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1632134)

Hiking a million miles from the parking lot. Crowds you can barely walk through. The ear drum splitting shout that accompanies the words "Tuba City" LOL. Week long grand entries.

Great outfits, music and dancing. The shiver that runs up your spine on Sat. night when the drums shake the floor and you see all those Indians on the floor, in the stands, in backseats of cars in the parking lot, LOL.

Quote:

Having been involved once or twice with large scale events, I'm impressed with every reasonably well-run, large powwow. I respect the effort.

I love the dancing. I love the atmosphere. I'm also not trying to get on to the floor and actually dance. Mine is an observer's perspective.

That said, I haven't gone in over 10 years. I went every year from '88 - '03. But, with my bum knee I don't feel safe in the crowd on those steps anymore. They had a serious overcrowding problem back then. I dread to think what this first year in the smaller Tingley Coliseum could be like. I hope they can make it work.

Quote:

Yes. But, I get too sad after a while. I end up crying because I can't be there.

wardancer 04-24-2017 07:26 PM

Albuquerque

Once , many years ago. I thought it was really crowded.

All the usual gossip ! Every large comp. powwow comes with all the same gossip ! LOL

Sometimes ! I love the GON song and I like seeing the outfits , what's "in" and what's "out".

Spiritflight 04-25-2017 04:31 AM

Quote:

Powwow

Yes. It was great but thought the event being outside would be even better

./.

Nothing, my ndn-ex-hubby and me just went there because I have gotten to know about it somehow.

Maybe, not sure, since it makes me sad that nothing stayed what I ever had in real and it reminds me how happy I was when I was there in real

OLChemist 04-25-2017 10:12 AM

They tried it outside during the renovation of the Pit.

The weather in Albq is dicey that time of the year. I've stood in line in 90F, 30F and everything in between. It's usually still fairly cool, especially with the wind. That time of year Gallup is busy blowing to Clovis, dust particle by dust particle, LOL.

At least one year I went, there was snow. People got stuck on I-40 east of Tijeras Canyon. IIRC, the state police closed the road and a bunch of people ended up spending the night in the National Guard Armory in Santa Rosa.

WhoMe 04-26-2017 09:22 AM

Facebook is burning up with spoofs on the GON rules this year. They are hilarious! I'm surprised they have not reached powwows.com?

OLChemist 04-26-2017 09:44 AM

From the GON 2017 FAQ's:

BLANKETS OR OTHER ITEMS TO HOLD SEATS IS NOT ALLOWED & WILL BE ENFORCED!!!

OK, they're not a powwow anymore, LOL. Tradition!

I can imagine the rules fro dancers are equally amusing.

wyo_rose 04-26-2017 02:50 PM

So where is GON held this year??

I went once, and if we could have found a seat, we probably would have stayed all weekend. Not to mention they sold our tickets out from under us at the Miss Indian World pageant.

It was crowded, but great seeing the dancers, seeing all the people including some that I knew, all the vendors, the food, the stage outside.

We parked in the dirt and didn't have to walk far, but staying on our feet the whole day we were there was hard. I tried to sit on a reserved (blanketed) seat labeled Morongo tribe to tie my shoe and I got booted off right away. I doubt anyone from the Morongo tribe showed up that weekend...no offense, Morongo tribe. I know you're just looking out for your own.

LISA IRONMAKER 04-26-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1632164)
Facebook is burning up with spoofs on the GON rules this year. They are hilarious! I'm surprised they have not reached powwows.com?

:laughing::laughing::lol:

Joe's Dad 04-26-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 1632169)

I went once, and if we could have found a seat, we probably would have stayed all weekend. Not to mention they sold our tickets out from under us at the Miss Indian World pageant.

It was crowded, but great seeing the dancers, seeing all the people including some that I knew, all the vendors, the food, the stage outside.

We parked in the dirt and didn't have to walk far, but staying on our feet the whole day we were there was hard. I tried to sit on a reserved (blanketed) seat labeled Morongo tribe to tie my shoe and I got booted off right away. I doubt anyone from the Morongo tribe showed up that weekend...no offense, Morongo tribe. I know you're just looking out for your own.

Did you sit on their blankets at Morongo?

LISA IRONMAKER 04-26-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhoMe (Post 1632164)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 1632169)

powwow is being held on the Powwow Grounds at
Tingley Coliseum/Expo

Joe's Dad 04-26-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Feathers...and pretty women.

No. Too poor.

Yes. When I get a bucket, I'll put it on the list. (See ^^^^ too poor).

Good and bad.

Yes...if I'm not working.

I'll be at Lumbee powwow next weekend. That almost like being at GON.

LISA IRONMAKER 04-28-2017 04:23 PM

Gathering looks awesome wish I was there thank gawd for live streaming

Broken Arrow 04-29-2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

1. Real "Indianer"

2. No.

3. Yes, to see by myself what it is and not only listening to say.

4. What I can read and see here.

5. Wrong time on the day for watching live feed.

tiffany redfeather 04-29-2017 09:46 PM

I cant get the chat to work on the webcast :(