Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk George Mason University Fourth Annual Powwow 11/9/2006 George Mason University Fourth Annual Powwow 11/9/2006

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Great Uncle Patrick

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
George Mason University Fourth Annual Powwow 11/9/2006

Anyone got any more info on this one? It's within the area we can get to.

Nov 9 (Thurs.) – George Mason University Fourth Annual Veteran’s Day Powwow, Noon-10 PM, Johnson Center, Dewberry Hall, George Mason Univ., Fairfax, VA 22030 Free Admission.

Northern Drum - White Oak Singers ??
Southern Drum - Cedartree Singers ??
Master of Ceremonies - Harry Burk, Arapaho ??
Arena Director - Lawrence Baker, Mandan/Hidatsa ??
Head Dancers - Ashlie Gerard, Cherokee and Phil (Waki) Little Thunder, Sicangu Lakota ??
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

nativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond reputenativedancer5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 384.00
Savings: 0.98
b2w are you going to this one??? I thought I might try to get up there for this one

Becca
nativedancer5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
We were thinking about it Becca. It's close, more or less convenient to transit.

I was hoping someone would comment on it. Guess I better try getting in touch with the organizers and get more info.

I'll definitely be there if the White Oak Singers are there. That drum is fantastic! They did the equinox ceremony at NMAI (among other places I've been lucky enough to find them) and it was awesome!!!
Old 10-03-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
Savings: 0.00
It's kind of strange that they would have this on a Thursday though. Would love to come and hear Cedartree again.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
Lavender Hill Mobb

CloudN9ne is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 430.00
b2w where did you get your info???

don't get mad at me im just a critic
CloudN9ne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudN9ne
b2w where did you get your info???
http://500nations.com/Virginia_Events.asp

(scroll to the bottom of the page)
Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

miikaawaadizi is a splendid one to beholdmiikaawaadizi is a splendid one to beholdmiikaawaadizi is a splendid one to beholdmiikaawaadizi is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 927.66
I was asked to post this update by the extremely-busy-at-work-one :) It's an email he received from GMU asking for more information.

Quote:
I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Our office's email has been swamped by junk mail lately, and it's taken a while for me to sift through this information.

Yes, we are holding a powwow this year. The Fourth Annual Veteran's Powwow will be held on Thursday, November 9 from 12noon-10pm, in the Johnson Center, Dewberry Hall. The powwow is open to all, is non-contest and admission is free. The head staff is as follows: Northern Drum - White Oak Singers; Southern Drum - Cedartree Singers; MC - Harry Burk, Arapaho; Arena Director - Lawrence Baker, Mandan/Hidatsa; Head Dancers - Ashlie Gerard, Cherokee, and Phil Little Thunder, Sicangu Lakota. There are about 12 or so vendors who will be at the powwow, and one of our color guards will be the Patriot Guard Riders. We have a couple of special events lined up throughout the day, and there will be a few chances to earn some prizes.

I have attached a copy of the powwow flyer, as well as the calendar of events for the rest of Heritage Month 2006.
I posted copies of the flyer and calendar on his site, http://patrick.moonwolf.net/uploads/...Flyer_2006.pdf and http://patrick.moonwolf.net/uploads/...Month_2006.pdf

~miika
miikaawaadizi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by miikaawaadizi
I was asked to post this update by the extremely-busy-at-work-one :) It's an email he received from GMU asking for more information.

I posted copies of the flyer and calendar on his site, http://patrick.moonwolf.net/uploads/...Flyer_2006.pdf and http://patrick.moonwolf.net/uploads/...Month_2006.pdf

~miika
Thanks, sweetheart!

I got that Thursday and Friday off from work (I've been working st00pid numbers of hours lately).... looking forward to the pw and the break!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
Great Uncle Patrick

Wow! Good powwow!!

Contest powwows are good but ones that are non-contest tend to be more enjoyable for me. The Patriot Guard (including my Miika) were the honor guard for the afternoon Grand Entry. Lot's 'n lot's of intertribals and good drums!! White Oak Singers were their usual awesome selves. Cedartree Singers made this a noncontest pw that was fortunate enough to have two very powerful drums.

This pw, sponsored and planned by the GMU students, was well attended by American Legion and VFW post members. Head Dancer Phil Little Thunder was great in encouraging people to dance with his playful sense of humor.

At one point in the afternoon (just before the caterers arrived with food for EVERYONE - dancers and guests) there were a series of intertribals where each song was in dedication to veterans of each US war or conflict from back in the day to those fighting right now. Also during the afternoon was a demonstration of the sneak up and Fancy Dancing.

For the evening Grand Entry the Ira H. Hayes American Legion Post #84 from Arizona were color and honor guard. There was an exhibition of Hoop Dancing. There were contest games (musical chairs with Cedartree doing the "trick" song; two-step while keeping an orange wedged between the partners' foreheads) and a two-step women's choice. The switch-dance was the hit of the night, with a dozen or so guys in shawls doing their best. The guy that won was hilarious!

This is definitely on my radar for next year (last year we went to the UMD Veteran's PW - which wasn't held this year).

I've got a bunch o' pictures to go through, and I'll post them on my website (with a link from here) sometime this weekend.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Wind In Face

HDavidShaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds
Wow! Good powwow!!

Contest powwows are good but ones that are non-contest tend to be more enjoyable for me. The Patriot Guard (including my Miika) were the honor guard for the afternoon Grand Entry. Lot's 'n lot's of intertribals and good drums!! White Oak Singers were their usual awesome selves. Cedartree Singers made this a noncontest pw that was fortunate enough to have two very powerful drums.

This pw, sponsored and planned by the GMU students, was well attended by American Legion and VFW post members. Head Dancer Phil Little Thunder was great in encouraging people to dance with his playful sense of humor.

At one point in the afternoon (just before the caterers arrived with food for EVERYONE - dancers and guests) there were a series of intertribals where each song was in dedication to veterans of each US war or conflict from back in the day to those fighting right now. Also during the afternoon was a demonstration of the sneak up and Fancy Dancing.

For the evening Grand Entry the Ira H. Hayes American Legion Post #84 from Arizona were color and honor guard. There was an exhibition of Hoop Dancing. There were contest games (musical chairs with Cedartree doing the "trick" song; two-step while keeping an orange wedged between the partners' foreheads) and a two-step women's choice. The switch-dance was the hit of the night, with a dozen or so guys in shawls doing their best. The guy that won was hilarious!

This is definitely on my radar for next year (last year we went to the UMD Veteran's PW - which wasn't held this year).

I've got a bunch o' pictures to go through, and I'll post them on my website (with a link from here) sometime this weekend.
between2worlds -
Thank you for attending and hope to see those pics soon. I am "Doc" the organizer for the PGR. Good to see you there. What a great event it was and I was honored to be a part of it as a proud Cherokee and a member of the PGR.

Yes, everyone please mark your calendars for 11/8/2007. If you think 2006 was a great event just wait. The university was impressed so much that they are even more behind the event in 2007.

Pass the word to potential vendors. Space will fill up fast for 2007. Get in early. More info at [email protected].
HDavidShaw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2006, 07:48 PM   #11
Great Uncle Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDavidShaw
between2worlds -
Thank you for attending and hope to see those pics soon. I am "Doc" the organizer for the PGR. Good to see you there. What a great event it was and I was honored to be a part of it as a proud Cherokee and a member of the PGR.

Yes, everyone please mark your calendars for 11/8/2007. If you think 2006 was a great event just wait. The university was impressed so much that they are even more behind the event in 2007.

Pass the word to potential vendors. Space will fill up fast for 2007. Get in early. More info at [email protected].
Bhozo Doc!

*grin* yeah, I'm kind of running on ndn time on getting the pictures up. Thanks for the reminder!

Here they are: http://patrick.moonwolf.net/gallery/main.php
Sponsored Links