Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk GON another perspective GON another perspective

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #101
Great Uncle Patrick

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by ok24stacey View Post
I think it would a great idea to have the top drums judged in the same session on Sunday by the same judges.

If the renovation of the Pit includes enlarging the floor then good, if not, maybe it IS a place that this powwow has outgrown. The stairs are a major obsticle for some Elders, families with smaller children and those with disabilities. (and folks with a lot of equipment to carry up at 3am) I am looking forward to the arrangement the football stadium provides next year, tho.
Sunday only drum contests would be very good. Many competition powwows have inter-tribal dancing during the drum contests.

An email for clueless questions would be good - or a FAQ (frequently asked questions page) on the website might help. Cover all the points of confusion you're reading here. Can we bring in food? Water? Is recording allowed? What's the deal on parking? Leaving/returning policies - for the venue and/or for parking?

I looked everywhere on the GoN site for some questions I had and couldn't find any way to get those questions answered. A FAQ would be especially nice since GoN will be at a different site next year. It sounds like some people are familiar with the new site. I'm familiar with neither site. Having knowledge is ahead of time better than arriving and having to "assume".

Some way for folks in wheelchairs to get to a place where they could actually see what is going on would be good too. GoN is kind of off my list right now, cuz I am on wheels. Making a 6 day round trip by train to sit way up near the top just isn't that appealing. Albuquerque is an accessible city, it would be nice if the venue for GoN was. The answers I got from people who were there indicated that the venue is definitely -not- accessible.

It -was- good to be able to watch GoN over the internet, and I thank the committee and Paul for that. On the internet is not as good as BEING at powwow, but the internet seat was better than the one I would've had at the venue.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #102
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Savings: 0.00
Here's another idea. You all know that I love all things internet and interactive!

So how about adding a internet/interactive part to Miss Indian World? Post interveiws and bios of each contestant on the GON website the week of the contest. Then allow all of us to cast a vote. And have this internet vote count as a percentage of the whole contest.
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #103
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,417.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
Here's another idea. You all know that I love all things internet and interactive!

So how about adding a internet/interactive part to Miss Indian World? Post interveiws and bios of each contestant on the GON website the week of the contest. Then allow all of us to cast a vote. And have this internet vote count as a percentage of the whole contest.
that sounds like a very good idea....
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #104
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 185.78
Things sure change alot

I attended the 08 GON, when I returned, I posted a few complaints that I had about GON, on this board. Seems like all I got was people climbing up one side of me, and down the other about my complaints. How things change in just a few short months, now, I see some of the same complaints that I had then, being aired now, and many agreeing with those complaints.

For the most part, I see GON wanting to bill themselves as a National Pow Wow, and then, conduct themselves like a local Pow Wow. I really don't go along with this stuff that they are the original PowWow and everyone else copied them, I think it's the other way around, PowWows have been around along time, much longer than GON.

My main complaint is about the seating. They claim to have no reserved seating, yet, many want to be treated special by finding ways to reserve seating. Maybe by carrying an old ratty blanket to throw over the seats to reserve them, or by some other method. GON seems to sell tickets, even though they know they don't have the capacity for all those ticket holders. Some of that may be fine, if you are a local Pow Wow, but National? Some people are traveling for days to get to that Pow Wow, and when they arrive, no seats. Yet they bought advanced tickets. I think the possible solution would be to sell reserved seating, for those that want to be treated special, and for those that may have to travel long distances in order to attend, at a higher price, of course. General admission would cost less, but no blankies on the seats.

We looked at GON as a once in a lifetime experience, but now, we would like to return to NM for another vacation. Not so much for GON, but for NM itself. We lived there for a time, near Farmington, and always enjoyed NM., Albuquerque, and Santa FE. We may take in GON, warts and all, but be better prepared for it's many shortcomings. Just figure that they are billed as a National Pow Wow, but, conducted as a local pow wow. For the most part, we were treated well all over NM, few hassles, with the exception of GON, hassles galore there. Next time, knowing a little about the ropes, things may be better, and we know where some of the bargains on art are in NM. and we know what we are looking for.

For us, Red Earth will become our local, every year, Pow Wow. A local Pow Wow of National Stature. With the best dancers, the best vendors, the best facilities, and best all around staff. We enjoy the top facilities that Red Earth has to offer, and the World class art. There are few hassles, seating is comfortable and plentiful, so is parking, and there is really nothing to compare to Bricktown, the best. We have never been disappointed by Red Earth, the primiere Pow Wow. GON, maybe we'll go again, maybe not, we can take it or leave it.

We will continue to attend local Pow Wows, as time permits, and we get what we expect at the local Pow Wows. They are smaller, the facilities are not always top notch, but the dancers are as good as what you'll see anywhere, some the same dancers, maybe just not as many of them.
gtbdave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 01:10 PM   #105
Pow Wow Visitor

~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute~FaNzI_aNtZi~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 486.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdonisDeLaurentis View Post
YOU NEED TO GET OVER IT....SEE YOU AT GON 2010!! Hoka!!!
I Agree with you!! LOL! It's funny how some people complain about this powwow... like someone is forcing them to go..lol!
~FaNzI_aNtZi~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #106
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I'm just complaining cuz it cost me $107 for 2 sets of tickets (and a program) to find out that I didn't have a seat for anything!

If I have a chance to go next year when it's held outside, I just might. But I will never go back to the Pit without a reserved seat. There has to be SOME venue around that can accomodate this event. The Pit is just....the PITS!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #107
gtbdave

gtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond reputegtbdave has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~FaNzI_aNtZi~ View Post
I Agree with you!! LOL! It's funny how some people complain about this powwow... like someone is forcing them to go..lol!
What's funny is how some are willing to accept 2nd best. They don't care if they are not treated fairly, anything will do. Some don't expect the best, maybe because it's Indian, or because they are Indian, and not deserving of the best of everything. I expect 1st rate treatment where ever I go to spend my hard earned money, if I don't get it, I complain about it. Some will just walk away with their tail between their legs, maybe laughing a little bit, to hold back the tears.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #108
Webmaster

Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Here is a response that was posted elsewhere. I was asked to post it here.

This bulletin is the first Iíve heard about Mr. Whitestoneís comments. It deeply saddens me that he has made statements that canít be substantiated, statements that Gathering of Nations has proven to be incorrect. Iíve found (from my own creative arts endeavors) that I cannot please everyone. I donít try. I do the best I can and accept that I will make mistakes because I am human. I will fail in some ways, because Iím not perfect. I simply must do my best and treat others with supportive respect and encouragement. That is the choice I make for my life. That is the way I chose to conduct myself.

A man that had not read my novel (THE LOOSE END OF THE RAINBOW) wrote and posted a sarcastic, ugly, and deliberately misleading ďreviewĒ on his website about it. His purpose was to harm and to tear down. I have found that those that are able to receive my book in the loving spirit that it was written are the people that can benefit from my novel. Those that have negativity and hatred in their spirits and hearts, those with their own agendas---I cannot expect fairness or just treatment from them. They are usually unreasonable, often dishonest/misleading, and they seem determined to harm. To them, the glass is half-empty, not half-full. They will not try to help the people they criticize; they will not try to come along beside them with support and good suggestions, etc. That is not their goal. They only want to damage, to hurt, and to perhaps destroy.

I donít know Mr. Whitestone. I do know Dr. Lita Mathews. I have read her book, I have spoken with her on the phone, I have exchanged emails with her, and I look forward to the great honor of meeting her someday. She has shared with me many of her thoughts and goals for Gathering on Nations. Dr. Mathews, her husband, her daughter, and many staff members of Gathering of Nations are wonderful people. I donít know everyone associated with GON; those I do know have always treated me with patience, concern, care, respect, and helpful consideration. Their hearts and their spirits are in the right place and Iím impressed with their kindness and with the high degree of support they give to others.

Gathering of Nations is an amazing powwow. I could not afford to travel (from California) to attend it this year. That was not because the expense of the powwow was unreasonable. It was because of the economy right now. My husband and I simply couldnít afford to go. I have been to other events and I have found the basic fees and charges to be in line with GON. Some have been more expensive than GON. I donít know the specifics, but a person does not have to be a rocket scientist to comprehend how costly putting on such an event as large as GON is. I think the fact that Dr. Mathews, her family, and the GON staff will do this is an enormous blessing to us. Countless people (native and non-native) benefit from GON.

I donít have any complaints about GON but if I did I would share them in a constructive manner. I would call or email Dr. Mathews and share my concerns, complaints, whatever. She is an intelligent, kind, and courteous woman. She would respectfully listen and graciously address the issues I presented.

It is easy to criticize people. It is easy to put others down. We need to strive to be supportive to one another. If I have made a mistake and you can help me correct it---why not help me instead of crush me? If I have made an error in some way---why donít you lovingly help me correct that error instead of condemning me for it?

I do not work for GON. I do not know the vast amount of duties and responsibilities it takes to put on the GON event from start to finish. I do not know all the big and little details involved. All I know is that I could not do it. I would need a lot of training and help if I ever wanted to attempt such a huge and multi-faceted enterprise.

Dr. Mathews, her family, and the GON staff have shouldered this undertaking for many years. Theyíve gained knowledge and experience as theyíve gone along. Iím sure that they continue to learn. Iím sure that they are not perfect. Iím sure that theyíve made mistakes. I am also sure that they each strive to do their very best. What they have done is absolutely amazing in my opinion. I thank them and I encourage them to continue on this course. We are immeasurably indebted to them.

If someone feels that GON is wrong or unfair about something, I suggest that they contact the GON staff and respectfully share their concerns in a constructive manner. I suggest that we each strive to be part of the solution to a problem. That is the beneficial and productive way to address concerns.

We need to take advantage of opportunities to be helpful. It breaks my heart when we fail to seize that opportunity.

I give my gratitude, appreciation, and warmest regards to Dr. Mathews and to the entire GON staff.

D.B. Pacini
THE LOOSE END OF THE RAINBOW
A Starry Night Productions - Vincent Van Gogh - Emma's Love Letters - The Loose End of the Rainbow - D.B. Pacini
Old 05-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #109
Webmaster

Here is another note that I was asked to post here.

++++++++++++++++++++

Just a not of thanks for the opportunity to continue to be a part of New Mexico and Albuquerque's most powerful Cultural Event.

As you well know, being apart of the "Gathering" is contributive to our Business. More significantly we really enjoy the "Socialization" we experience with the Native Community and the vast number of people that attend from across the nation.

It has been a real cultural, educational experience for us over the years. We remained impressed with the "Gathering". The product you have nurtured is a real asset to this community. We hope you know that.

Thanks again.
Josef - Rita - Ann & Mike Powdrell
Old 05-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #110
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:

I like the idea of getting to know who the candidates are before you get to pw. It would make it more fun to cheer for someone.

I'm not too sure about the voting. If it would stay a small percentage of the points that would be fine. But I don't want this to turn in to the "Native American Idol"
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #111
sentient being

Items Treasure Chest
skybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond reputeskybird5 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 663.88
Ok, so posting rave reviews from Non-Native, Non-pow wow folks doesn't make it a better event. I'm sure there are hundreds of people who think it's a wonderful event. It's just a crappy "pow wow". LOL!!!
skybird5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #112
Tiny Tot Dancer

sate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond repute
As a "powwower" buh...I always enjoy a goot powwow along the trail.....come on now people you have got to know that traveling to these "big" powwows is going to cost you $$$. Im sure the professional powwowers know this. These big powwows are NOT the local powwows that people keep comparing them too. Thats like comparing apples and oranges..duh!!! lol As for the blankets on the seats...yeppers had my blanket spread across...but that was only cause the bleachers where hard as heck...duh...was gettin assititis gawt...but yeah and of course my "kohn's" outfit bags were on the bleacher along with his bustles...and they stayed there til we left.... Like all other gatherings and powwows...if you want a good seat...get there early!!! also, if you noticed they were short a lot of seats because the upper level was closed...I had no where to take a nap..lol. We all know the line is going to be long on friday morning...thats why we get there as early as we can..year after year we go through this....and actually i think they opened registration a little early this year...right? But as a yearly GON visitor....this year seemed a lil smaller....didnt it? I dont know maybe it was just me.

But yeah I dont know anything about the money...where it goes or anything..but you know actually thats none of my business. LOL!! and actually I could care less....All I know is that 3 bracelets we paid for got all 10 of us in..lol!! And you know some of you have done this...Where there's a will there's a way!!!! ha ha ha and you know we all pile bout 12 people in one mini van to avoid paying for multiple cars at parking...lol Come on now people this is the powwow life...if you chose to live it..you know what youre getting into....lol and if you don't ...JUST DONT GO!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #113
Pow Wow Visitor

Rezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scaleRezkat33az is off the scale
Displeased w/ GON

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
I'm just complaining cuz it cost me $107 for 2 sets of tickets (and a program) to find out that I didn't have a seat for anything!

If I have a chance to go next year when it's held outside, I just might. But I will never go back to the Pit without a reserved seat. There has to be SOME venue around that can accomodate this event. The Pit is just....the PITS!!!
This was originally posted by Litefoot, and I agree with him on all points. I have only been to GON 4 times and have regretted going every time. This pow-wow is a total rip off of Natives & the main promoter of GOn isnt even Native. I could fill a book with reason to not go to GON, but Ill just let the ever eloquent Litefoot explain:

----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
To:
Date: Apr 28, 2009 1:41 PM
Subject: Ban G.O.N. (The Gathering Of Nations) in 2010- REPOST!

Enough is enough-STAND UP AND LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD
TAKE A FEW MOMENTS & SIGN THE PETITION!

CLICK HERE!

INFO:

As Native People, we have endured various assaults on our culture and traditions. We have been through the fires of atrocity and have made it through, but not unscathed. The massacres, long walks, genocide, and forced assimilation through the boarding school system have wreaked havoc on American Indian Tribes in the United States and Canada. Today, we still see and feel the effects of the efforts of those bent on destroying our culture and way of life. As Native People we still experience racism and exploitation of Native Culture, i.e. Native mascots for sports teams, traders/merchants buying authentic crafts from Native artists at a fraction of the cost only to resale to the public at a thousand percent markup. Another major concern I would like to address is the recent attack on our Pow Wow culture by The Gathering of Nations Pow Wow.

As you are all aware, The Gathering of Nations is supported by various Tribes from the United States and Canada. My intentions are not to offend or demean anyone associated with the Pow Wow way of life, but there are many concerns with this event that need to be addressed.
Here are a few:
1) Traders are housed in the main arena while the majority of Native vendors are located in a tent away from the Pow Wow.

2) Natives traveling from distant locations to participate in and hold on to their Native culture must pay ridiculous doorway fees as well as parking fees.

3) Any Brothers wanting to record must register their recorders and pay a fee to record.

4) Outdoor drinks and meals are not allowed - forcing participants and spectators to purchase expensive food and drinks indoors.

5) This one Powwow generates enough money to hold ten more powwows of that magnitude, and yet, Mr. Powwow Coordinator in an interview with the Navajo Times, states, "The remainder of the money is used to fund next year's powwow.
"
6) The Pow Wow coordinator (NON-INDIAN) demonstrates ignorance and/or blatant disrespect for Native culture (i.e. I have seen the coordinator rush through a crowd of dancers with no worry or concern for the Eagle feather used in their regalia; I have seen him roughly grab a fancy dancer on the arm, swinging him around and cussed him out for blowing a whistle; I have seen him stop a drum group in the middle of their drumming when a whistle was blown.
)
How can you explain for a Non-Native have the power to stop a whistle at a Powwow and then proceed to stop the drum that responded to that whistle!? And yet we continue to support this individual every year, considering the taboos he violated. This individual was asked to MC a powwow in a New Mexico community a couple years ago. The powwow committee asked him for a donation, which he gladly donated $600 but asked for $800 at the end for MCing the powwow.

Pow Wows are an important part of our culture that gives us strength, rejuvenates the heart, and heals us. Although money is needed to fund pow wows, they should not be exploited for the benefit of one person. Each year, The Gathering of Nations Pow Wow raises hundreds of thousands of dollars of INDIAN MONEY in entrance fees, parking fees, vendor fees, recording fees, and countless other fees.
Where does this money go???
There are many Tribal Nations across the U.S. and Canada who do not have enough resources to fund scholarships for their Tribal members to further their education and improve their communities. This Pow Wow has found a way to exploit our cultural traditions to make money...money that should be distributed back to less fortunate Tribal Nations to assist their children with scholarships.

Please do not take this as some sort of jealous attack, it is merely concern for maintaining our traditions and knowing that the day when NON-INDIANS dictate the terms of our culture and exploit us for their financial benefit WILL NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

SIGN THIS PETITION and let your voice be heard! If you are planning or already have planned a trip to this event in 2010, please consider the larger issue at stake - OUR CULTURE, OUR FUTURE!

I THANK YOU - MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS ON TURTLE ISLAND FOR THIS TIME. MAY THE CREATOR TAKE CARE OF YOUR HOME FIRES AND GUIDE YOU ON YOUR JOURNEYS.

PLEASE FORWARD TO OTHER BROTHERS & SISTERS IF YOU FEEL OUR CULTURE AND VALUES ARE AT STAKE!

AHO, Wa-Do, Hiy-hiy! (thank you!)
Rezkat33az is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #114
Webmaster

That was the post that got this thread started.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #115
Pow Wow Visitor

knowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond reputeknowsyou has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That was the post that got this thread started.

We know.

It needs to be reposted/ reemphasized.
knowsyou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 PM   #116
Pow Wow Visitor

asif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant futureasif has a brilliant future
Yeah, hopefully soon there will be another pow wow during this one, that way there would be room for those that do want to attend and the complainers will have another pow wow to complain about lol!
asif is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #117
Pow Wow Visitor

stick_is_airborne is an unknown quantity at this point
So many support this event but many do not. Question is, do the promoters have an obligation to their audience and consumers to answer their questions? And I mean directly and not through emails and postings... I dunno... this to me just seems wrong. It is snowballing and the people out there with valid concerns are not going to be taken seriously because of the sketchy ones who have a certain rep on this site.

I say don't discredit the core of what the original email was meant to do. To i-n-f-o-r-m those who did not know of certain goings-on of this event. Now, noone can say "i didn't know". Ignorance is not bliss people, c'mon.

Yes, one person from the GON organization has replied but they failed to answer as to why they would stop something like and eagle whistle blower or stop the drum that was already singing? um... heeeeeello... if this was a powwow that should not have happened ... Why instead of naming their event under powwow, why don't they instead call it for what it is? a festival. No offense is meant in that suggestion either. Just something to think about.
stick_is_airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #118
gtbdave

I don't think there is any major problem with GON, as long as people who pay for tickets, know what they are getting into, it's a local pow wow, not a pow wow of National stature. It's like any other local pow wow, just bigger, with about 20K+ people in attendance, in the Pit, or stands. The people who run GON almost admit that they are not capable of handling such a large crowd, but there are people who do make a living at putting on such events, and are reasonably competent at doing so. I think that if people understand the ground rules, and there are no rules, they can get by at GON pretty good. If you know the tricks, gimmicks, and have the street smarts, or pow wow smarts, you can get around pretty good. Just like most stuff like this, the advantage goes to the regulars and the locals, those tourist, visitors, the travelers, are at a disadvantage, and they are not going to do much to help you out, or even treat you fairly, it's sort of a free for all. Just understand that it is different than most large public events. Treating people like that at some other public events might cause rioting, but it seems to go over without a hitch at GON. I guess that's a compliment to the spectators or customers at GON, they seem to take everything in stride, almost expecting such treatment, sort of a laid back crowd, laid way back. Things that are known is that they say there is no reserved seating, but there is, you just have to know the ropes, gimmicks, etc. You will pay alot for parking, but there is no security on the parking, at your own risk, best to take your ndn car, if you can, if not, get a cab to drop you off, or bus, shuttle. You really can't expect GON to change, make improvements, they have sort of a take it or leave it attitude. Like it, or lump it, is what they say. For pow wow mavens, they may just take it, and lump it. It makes no difference, things go on pretty much like always, until they end, then something else comes along, sometimes better, sometimes worse.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #119
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
whoa! so litefoot wrote the petition?

litefoot used to be featured at GON huh? on the stage and even did some stuff in the arena huh? i remember that much.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #120
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsyou View Post
We know.

It needs to be reposted/ reemphasized.
So who really wrote it then.... That Dave Whitesomething or Litefoot?
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links