Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Heat's effect on Pow Wows Heat's effect on Pow Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2006, 05:16 PM   #1
Kili!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Heat's effect on Pow Wows

With this summer being unusually hot, what effect is the heat having on pow wows? I've yet to see afternoon sessions cancelled or pushed back because of the heat...anyone else seen this? It seems to me like that would be a good idea.

My concern is that with pow wow $$ being what it is now that committees will feel pressure to keep the crowds there and make the dancers dance to get points in the heat of the day - thereby putting elders and children at risk. Just doesn't seem worth it to me...I much, much prefer dancing at night

Any thoughts?
Old 07-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 49.99
Savings: 1.00
We were up at Shenandoah Valley PW a few weeks ago. It was sunny and hot up there. Seems that the dancers and singers did a good job staying covered and watered. However there was a spectator who went down. Folks were doing CPR on him until the ambulances came. Come to think of it, there was an ambulance that was there earlier as well. So spectators are probably the least likely to be prepared for the hot weather. Though the heat can sneak up on everyone.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #3
Tim Horton's Addict

Little Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Man's Ma has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,295.41
I don't "push" my kids to dance during the heat of the day.. I think it is dangerous.. I keep them in the shade and hydrated.. but oldest girl always gets sick in the extremes. Because we are on big water, the humidex is pretty high.. they are estimating that it will feel like it is 46*C this weekend (115*F) - the actuals are around 32 (90) but it is the humidity that most affects people. I ask that my kids go into Grand Entry and make their exhibitions/competitions, but no more than that till evening.
Little Man's Ma is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM   #4
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Been thinking I'd see some cut backs on gourd dancing, since it's typically done in the hottest part of the day for three or four hours, and there are alot of elder gourd dancers too. I've been keeping the cooler close by this summer gourd dancing with plenty of water and gatorade, but so far I haven't seen any session time change myself either.
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 AM   #5
Body By Commodities Baby!

littleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud of
Savings: 225.22
I have to agree with singerdad...commititees need to stop and recognize how badly the heat affects the dancers...I was head woman for the day at a pow-wow and they required their head dancers to dance every dance during the day session. By the end of the day I had fallen victim to the heat and humidity even though I had been drinking water and gatorade like it was going out of style. All through the weekend they had dancers, spectators, and even one of their own emt/security people went down because of the heat/ humidity.
Its a damn shame when money takes precedence over humanity. I realize that people plan for a long time to make a pow-wow run smoothly and they work hard to see that it does...however...there are times when it is more important to put the safety of your supporters over the lure of money.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
~Pwowfeva~

amarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond repute
Most powwows down here in OK don't start until 7 or 8pm because of the hot weather. However, there is a powwow coming up that has afternoon sessions and I decided we won't be going because of the heat. I have a 5mo. old baby and I don't want him out in the sun. If it was just me and my 10yr.old daughter we would probably go. We just can't take the heat these days.
amarie49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #7
Body By Commodities Baby!

littleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud oflittleredblanket has much to be proud of
Savings: 225.22
I don't blame you about keeping the little one out of the heat. I would do the same thing if I had a little baby.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

SPINNA will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie49
Most powwows down here in OK don't start until 7 or 8pm because of the hot weather. However, there is a powwow coming up that has afternoon sessions and I decided we won't be going because of the heat. I have a 5mo. old baby and I don't want him out in the sun. If it was just me and my 10yr.old daughter we would probably go. We just can't take the heat these days.
mannn...i used to love that when I came out that way! Not have to worry about grand entry until that evening!
SPINNA is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #9
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That does sound good! Maybe more dances across the country will adopt this.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:18 PM   #10
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Most powwows down here in OK don't start until 7 or 8pm because of the hot weather.
While that's generally true, gourd dancing is usually at around 2pm, the hottest part of the day, but if there are trees, the dance is in the shade then. Still hot.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
mmmmmmmmmmmm well having lived in the hottest place on earth...LOL, near Yuma, AZ at 115-120 degree heat with no air conditioning (the in-laws house did not have any...*S*) with a 11 month old baby heat is really no biggie any more. Plus our hogan back home has no AC or electricity and its hot there too. But there are precautions you have to take and keep those kids, elders hydrated, drink drink drink, spray bottles, and cool wet cloths. I also have made regalia for him that is for extreme heat, light fabrics, etc. I make him wear cotton underneath so the sweat won't get too much. I also give my lil one candy to help keep his mouth salivating, I don't feed him heavy meals much on hot powwow days, since most food just sits heavy.

We were just at a powwow that was HOT HOT HOT, he danced every intertribal, contest, grand entry, etc. I guess its more parents intuition to know how your kids feel and what they can handle. I love A/C but heck sometimes we'll just have to do without and live with it. I don't think many committee's will go out of their way to 'accomodate' us, we all should know our bodies and what we can/cannot handle.

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2006, 12:00 PM   #12
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
I have been to a few pow-wows where the temperature was in excess of 105, and the committees called Saturday session at each one.

Last year it was 104 on Sunday, the committee went ahead and started the pow-wow right at 1pm. Seems kind of cruel doing that, but, the only thing left to do was the adult categories. The winners were announced and everything was over before 4pm. It was nice being on the road so early.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
nobody

suthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond reputesuthernwaterbird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 394.00
shooooot i dont wanna hear it lol jokes i havent seen any gourd dances out here pushed back... i no cuz i have been singin a lot but...the hottest one so far has been walters and it started i think at like 2 or 3 and we were all out there sweatin it out....wet rags on heads and all. i think it wus about 110 or 115 somthing like that... but i must say the powwow starting late is awesome...it should be done around everywhere the only thing is if u dance at night....when sunday night comes around itll be 2-3 maybe 4 by the time u leave the powwow...jus to get up at 5 or 6.. hmmmm???? maybe we should look into INDOORS.....
Old 08-02-2006, 03:54 PM   #14
Kili!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthernwaterbird
maybe we should look into INDOORS.....
dang bro, I'll send that nomination!! AC all the way!!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #15
fish soothsayer

I'd take the AC, full blast, but I don't much like dancing on concrete though.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #16
Northern Trad Dancer

alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
alumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond reputealumphfres has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,084.82
The majority of traditional powwows held adjacent to Wild Horse Casino and Resort on the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian reservation are in July. Yeah, its hot (temperature wise)! But the Arena Director, Whip Man and Whip Woman work in concert with each other to insure that all dancers stay hydrated. In years past, I've never witnessed any dancers fainting or passing out due to 100+ degree afternoons. Can't say the same for the spectators in the bleachers.
alumphfres is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #17
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
I'll take the a/c all the way then passing out from the heat.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links