PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   Hip hop at Pow wows? (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/hip-hop-pow-wows-62874/)

Cinkala 03-22-2012 11:37 AM

Hip hop at Pow wows?

Unfortuntely I can't bring up the video because my computer is messing up right now. But, there are a couple of videos on youtube that are called "ghetto pow wow". It pretty much is a bunch of dancers dancing to hip hop music in the circle.

What are everybodys thoughts on this? Should pow wows do this? Should they play hip hop for the dancers to dance to?

I personally think no. But others might differ.

What do you think?

Itzhecatl 03-22-2012 01:40 PM

New School vs. Old School

:thinking:
This has been a controversial issue on several grounds, one of them being the type of music. Because Hip Hop has had a negative reputation (and MANY times rightfully so) for about two decades now or practically since its birth, it carries part of the blame for the backlash. Well, perhaps not the genre but the “artists” carry part of the blame for making some ridiculous songs and music videos. Often times the genre of Hip Hop and its cousin Rap are considered one in the same which brings up another issue entirely. This delineation or lack there of, can cause alarm since rap and hip hop are often used in gang culture on and off native reservations and urban areas which I feel adds to the issue at hand.

Some argue that the circle is being disrespected by this behavior while others counter that point by arguing that competitive dancing or dancing for money is already disrespect to the circle. It is difficult to address this point since there are so many different powwows, gatherings, and circles all over the continent. Some are small and community led while others are in massive arenas and attract thousands of people.

Personally I feel that there are plenty of places where young ones (specifically, since I see this being headed by younger dancers) can dance to Hip Hop. There are plenty of clubs, bars, and areas where this is OK and expected. I feel that there will always be a dispute between generations and their music. I’m assuming that the elders in the circle are not very fond of watching the younger dancers, the next generation if you will, dance in this form or introduce these activities into the circle.

I am a fan of Hip Hop as I listened to tirelessly while growing up and continue to do so. I am also a fan of preserving traditions and at the very very least respecting them. The respect and preservation of the circle has its issues already and throwing another into the mix doesn’t help the cause. There is a time and a place for things and I don’t feel that the circle is the right time and the right place for Hip Hop.

:user: …my 2 ˘.

NDNQt 03-22-2012 02:16 PM

I am sure I know what video you are talking about. the MC called for this dance and the dancers were young. They are older now and regret it. I just wish it wasn't even on the net anymore.

Cinkala 03-22-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDNQt (Post 1528076)
I am sure I know what video you are talking about. the MC called for this dance and the dancers were young. They are older now and regret it. I just wish it wasn't even on the net anymore.

I saw it for the first time last night.

If they did this kind of stuff at a 49 and not in Regalia I would be all for it lol (sorry that's the 18 years I have coming out).

I've just never seen this done at a pow wow before, so it just made me wonder.

Migiziwomen 03-22-2012 03:07 PM

i do not think the circle is a place for such dancing. at least the videos i have seen over the years have been pretty raunchy. the biggest problem i have is with the girls in jingle, lifting skirts up and dropping their behinds to the ground. it is too sexual; so offensive. any style dress really, just not right. i can see the draw to it, from the younger ones eyes. i just do not approve of it.

we already have fun in the circle what with the switch dance and all.

Cinkala 03-22-2012 03:16 PM

Although I will say this. Even though it shouldn't have been played in the circle... That song sounded good!

It sounded a lot like a Smoke Dance song.

cris_neva 03-22-2012 03:34 PM

Here is the video I believe you are speaking about....I do agree but in defense....look at the dancers and audience....For one, I dont think this is a legit traditional powwow....for two its not like they played Snoop Doggs drop it like its hot...the song they played isn't even a rap song and on a positive note...I know several Natives who do dance and hip hop in a good way...NOT ALL HIP HOP OR RAP IS BAD!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sTThm7kDBds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cris_neva 03-22-2012 03:35 PM

Another one....again....look at the ones dancing and the audience....:whatchuta

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tzPOEgDe2d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cris_neva 03-22-2012 03:37 PM

:confused_

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WgwP-T9i3Yk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Intertribal 49 03-22-2012 03:53 PM

When I first saw all of this a while ago, I thought how stupid is that? Hip hop/rap and dancing that grinding dance in their regalia was down right disrepectful and makes me sad for the grandmas watching this or the people that took the time to make the regalias. On a lot of levels this is disrepectful but then again looking at some of the locations of where these are taking place at, seems there is a lack of cultural pride. and Bottom Line...hip hop/rap and all that nonsense is not who "we" are as native people. People can argue all they want how dancing for money is disrepectful, but powwow celebrations with family involvment, culture, spirit of song and dance have been around way longer than the hip/hop culture.

cris_neva 03-22-2012 04:01 PM

I totally agree....there is a time and place and the circle is definitely NOT the place for this!!

Grits & Beans 03-22-2012 04:18 PM

from the looks of it, pennsylvania powwow rules are anything goes :hysterica

Toolbox 03-22-2012 07:22 PM

Could you be talking about the video below as well? Personally I don't really care for hip-hop or rap, not that I don't like them they are just not my style, and nor do I think it belongs at a powwow except in someone's car, iPod, or at the 49.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tuKCd-D-HZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sunktaki 03-22-2012 11:21 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/erJx-vkFYqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video taken of the winners of the Hip Hop contest on the Chickahominy Tribe in VA

When I first saw this years ago I thought it was so disrespecting, especially as she is wearing a medicine dress..even if these were youngsters dancing the elder people of the powwow commitee should know better

EastCoastNDN 03-23-2012 09:44 AM

I personally know all of the people in those videos and they all regret it! They have grown up and relize how wrong it was, most wish that the videos would disappear bc some how they keep coming back to life almost 10yrs later. My ? has always been, Where are the elders that let this take place?

silvermoon2012 03-23-2012 02:14 PM

:hypnotize
This is different. I am trying to restrain myself from laughing. But we all must live with the actions we take. Regardless of my personal feelings about Hip hop- Rap I don't think it should take place in the circle.

wanjica_the_one 03-23-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cris_neva (Post 1528087)
Another one....again....look at the ones dancing and the audience....:whatchuta

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tzPOEgDe2d8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The girl with the monkey face makes me laugh.

NDNQt 03-26-2012 09:09 AM

I am with EastCoastNDN - these (now adults) deeply regret what they did but like I said - the MC called for it. I think that was the only time he MC'ed at the powwow. Basically, it was young people doing what an elder (MC) called for. Please let it rest.

wanjica_the_one 03-31-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDNQt (Post 1529200)
I am with EastCoastNDN - these (now adults) deeply regret what they did but like I said - the MC called for it. I think that was the only time he MC'ed at the powwow. Basically, it was young people doing what an elder (MC) called for. Please let it rest.

You are speaking tommyrot, as long as these videos are alive, we are allowed to speak our mind.

AmigoKumeyaay 03-31-2012 02:03 PM

Cultural Corruption

Wherever we go around this planet Earth, it is the Elders are Guardians that protect and maintain the Traditions.

Youth have energy and strength, yet lack spiritual and emotional maturity. Youth will explore, and can be swayed by things they see others do.

It is up to the Elders to give guidance, and enforce Restraint, because they will cross over some day, and leave their Traditions to the New Generations.

The Guardians must not let corrupt ideas enter into the Circle.