Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Just want an honest opinion Just want an honest opinion

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2004, 01:21 PM   #61
Peace n Mutton Grease

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
Savings: 1.00
Gender Check.....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
You sound like quite the guy. Your son is lucky to have you as a Dad; and I'm sure you do your family proud just as your little one is making you proud. I'm not trying to embarass you because I didn't hear anything in what you said that was bragging, etc. What I heard was a great depth, a great sincerity and it just isn't heard much anymore, particularly here on this site. Hearing you made me proud to be NDN, even a watered down one, especially since my upbringing was totally non-traditional due to alot of guilt and garbage on both sides of my family. While I was reading your words it made me feel hopeful for us all, as the diverse nations we are, because you are managing to keep traditions in a modern world and pass them on to the next generation. Again, I hope I'm not embarassing you. It was just so good to 'hear' your words; and to be reminded that little people have big eyes and ears and look up to us for better or worse. Thank you.

Well thank you. I appreciate your kind words. However, I am a Mother.........:D. Its okay, I don't mind being called a DAD either.......LOL. But just so no ladies try to snag me.....haha...I am....a woman. Anyhow, it is difficult to keep your traditions and live by them especially in this world where alot of ways are 'adopted' and elders tend to hold back because they are not sure whether these traditions will be done right or disprespected. I just hope.... my son will understand and respect what I teach him, hold it as value, and teach his children the same things or more that I have taught him. Its all about respect, honor, and pride. I am glad I can 'remind' people with my words. Thats good to know that at least 1 person is listening out there.......:D. Anyhow, well thanks again and just remember to pass it on, keep the traditions alive. :D

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2004, 10:50 PM   #62
I need $

UNCLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down

Some good points here in this thread..........

If a dancer is accomplished enough to travel year round, and win, more power to them. These dancers read the rules, and follow them exactly. If the rule states that you have to participate in the intertribals, then the dancer usually participates in the intertribals. Notice how this rule could be interpreted wrong.
The rule never states exactly how the dancer should dance, for example: dance their heart out, or just walk around in the arena and visit. A dancer could get away with just walking around the arena, unless the rule is specific.

Just a thought for all you powwow commitee members who want to have a rule like this. You better be specific. Or we'll still be posting in this thread next year. LOL

For real though, you should dance when you can, while you can. Cuz their will be a day when maybe you cant. It might be old age, injury, sickness, etc.

Even if its during an intertribal, you might inspire a young one to dance, or make a handicapped person feel good, or make that champion dancer whos sitting on his arse, get up and dance.

The powwow trail can be good, and it can be bad. I've seen some good powwow champions hit some $$$ problems when there is no powwows going on.

Back to the subject of dancers just competing in the G.E. and contest and winning.........its good when you see these dancers dance their best, but very bad when they obviously didnt dance worth a damm in their contest, and they still placed.
UNCLE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2004, 12:13 AM   #63
Pow Wow Visitor

dine_babee is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that THOSE dancers should get off their big butts and actually dance then maybe they'll have something to be big headed about. I know a couple of people who are like that and they just get even more big headed about dancing when they place and not actually dance like at Gathering for example, they got first only because their family member was one of the MC's
dine_babee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2004, 12:23 AM   #64
Tiny Tot Dancer

little-ree will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo
ndngurl's not whining or crying, she's bringing up a point and if anyone cares about the principle of the matter, they'd see that she's right--these half-*ss dancers set a bad example for everyone--spectator, contest, or whatever kind of powwow it tends to be-not just powwows, but also community and school performances, benefits, programs, etc...-in the end, what kind of event or ceremony it happens to be doesn't matter--what does matter is carrying yourself like you've had some home training--and these actions @ powwows ruin the whole point of powwows--yes, some powwows in cities in nc tend to be spectator like---for that matter, i certainly don't want these bad attitudes/displays to be seen as a reflection of what indian people are like-white people already have a misconception of lumbees as well as indians in general-so.....a few bad apples ruin it for the entire bunch--a lot of these people don't care about jobs, education, or a long-term plan for the future==it's all powwows, the here and now, and having enough $$ to make it to the next one--and if you don't offer them enought $$ they won't show up in the first place (well, if they think they can get over on you they will) ---it's the most pitiful thing i've ever witnessed
Woa there, no need to get ur feathers all ruffled,geronimo:Flame (besides, wuznt geronimo Apache?) Ndngurl isn't WRONG OR right on the matter. Like I said in my 2nd post on this thread, opinions r based on our individual tribal beliefs wich r different among tribes. In Nezbah's post, she values the dance arbor cuz she wuz taught 2 do so and so she's passing it down 2 her son. Some danzers aren't so lucky so they believe differently. I've had several friends who r lumbee and I know ur tribal beliefs are completly different than my Arikara beliefs. Ex. I don't belive in wearing a plume just whenever, because our belief says u have to be featherd and ur plume is given to u and put on u by a specific person during this ceremony. Does it mean ur wrong and I'm right or vise versa? Does it mean we have to agree with each others beliefs? Nooooooo! We just believe differently cuz our tibez r different so it's all good :dancing45 Remember, THE JUDGES DECIDE WHO WINS!!So sit back and have Mr. Pib :6:!!! NDN taco anyone???? :lol2:

Last edited by little-ree; 07-23-2004 at 12:34 AM..
little-ree is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2004, 12:32 AM   #65
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
Cream Soda...

I agree with Little-Ree!
Thanx Spirit of Seattle, I like ur choice of pop! :ready2eat
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 AM   #66
Junior Dancer

SeaHawk is just really nice
Cool

Thinking like this is why there are endurance powwows and spot checks (I dislike both). Think of this from a singers point: should they save their voices and only sing for their contest song? Why should they kick out a good intertribal only to hear or see that Mr. and Mrs. Powwow did not "feel like dancing"? Then how would you have a powwow using canned music?? Everyone should participate. Dancers should come to dance and listen to good singers; singers should come to sing and watch good dancers dance to their songs and spectators should come to listen to good singing and watch good dancing. It is hard trying to plan a powwow where contests are judged fair and dancers are kept dancing.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:45 AM   #67
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHawk
Thinking like this is why there are endurance powwows and spot checks (I dislike both). Think of this from a singers point: should they save their voices and only sing for their contest song? Why should they kick out a good intertribal only to hear or see that Mr. and Mrs. Powwow did not "feel like dancing"? Then how would you have a powwow using canned music?? Everyone should participate. Dancers should come to dance and listen to good singers; singers should come to sing and watch good dancers dance to their songs and spectators should come to listen to good singing and watch good dancing. It is hard trying to plan a powwow where contests are judged fair and dancers are kept dancing.
Let's try this again, It's a belief based on our individual tibal beliefs.Again :33: a belief based on our individual tribal beliefs.!!!! Eastcoast powwows r extremely different powwows than the one's out this way. Eastern tribz r very different from other tribz out this way.There might be some tribz that don't think so seriously about the powwow because it's not the traditonal danz for their tribe, or they might have separate danz cerimonies that r sacred or more serious. We have societies that have their own kind of danz that r taken seriously that AREN"T danzed at the powwow.We have the grass dance society that goes way back & is performed a certain way. Some pueblos danz powwows whatever way they want because the powwow is not their tradional danz but they have traditional kachina ceremonies that they follow strict guidelines 4 & will never be seen at a powwow. The dine have the yaybiche(spelling?)- the powwow is not their tradional dance. The apache have the crown dances-the powwow is not their traditional dance...and so on...and so on...Ur HaliwaSaponi, do u have a tradional dance- do the HaliwaSaponi still do it? or is the powwow ur sacred danz? :dancing3:I'm not trying to knock on u but some people might not have been taught in that way 2take powwow danzn seriously. then again some r just lazy n don't care.
:cya:

Last edited by little-ree; 07-23-2004 at 02:05 AM..
Old 07-23-2004, 11:17 PM   #68
Junior Dancer

SeaHawk is just really nice
Cool

little-ree,
You are correct. It is individual Tribal beliefs and personal opinion and as we know everybody has one. As for powwows being different, I do not think so. I have danced, sang and been a spectator on the east coast, plains and northwest. There were Tribal differences no doubt but generally they were the same. I have found that there are two types of powwows: Traditional and Contest (money). It is up to the individual to determine spirituality and sacredness of the powwow. I have been to Traditional powwows where the host Tribe educated everyone with their traditional dances,songs and feasts. I have yet to go to the really big contest powwows (Schemitzun, GON's and Denver etc. too many people). It would be great to combine traditional with contest but money is the root of all evil and time waits for no one. I was at a powwow in the northwest. As I was told $8,000.00 was donated to the committee just before the powwow. All of a sudden this really nice small gathering with modest prize money became a spectacle of spot checks and endurance. It went on until 4:30am Monday morning. Prizes were 1,000, 200, 100. :duel12:

Yes, we have old dances and yes we try every year to put them in the schedule but the contest must go on. As I have heard, we have those that choose to sit out the intertribals and only dance the contests. I dissagree with that and now we get back to the thread.

Getting back to the thread: I believe it was started with contest powwows in mind. Personally, I enjoy the traditional gatherings, less tension, no politics, great times.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #69
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by little-ree
Whoa there a minute! Before you start another thread that gets everyone all :rtf: u need to get specific. I see ur from out east and those powwows r a lot different then the ones west of the Miss. I been to the ones out east and it's whole diff. kind of powwow n dancn stylz then people from out this way. Most of the ndns out this way have (not just a tribe) but also a rez they belong to, and lots of powwows out this way are on the rez &more contest type powwows. Most of people at the powwow r ndns who want 2c the competions and to have plain ol fun. Powwows out east tend to be more of a spectator thang w/lot of non ndns comming to see "an indian powwow". Don't deny it :NoNo cuz I been to lots out east over lotta yrs. ...........as for this "some people don't wear a plume or carry a fan" thang...waaaaaaa!!!!! :Cry What the H*LL does wear'n plumes n carrying fans have 2 do w/dancin in the arbor or arena????? :duhh: Some of the tribz from up north out this way & some in the southwest like the pueblos, dine, have traditions they follow regarding eagle feathers &plumes esp those who still have tradional elders still living. Lots of them have to be "feathered", or "initiated" before they can wear any type of eagle feather by going through traditional ceremonies so they don't wear eagle feathers till they do.
NEwayz if ur still cryn bout the whole thang, blame the judge, after all its not the danzers fault the judge voted for 'em, even if the danzers just shown' up for contests. I alwayz danzed the grands n the intertribals, but the judges are the ones who place the danzers.
yeah, yeah, powwows are different & have different traditions..spectator, contest...whatever...but there are still universal concepts involved with such a gathering...rules/maxims to be adhered to.....just like with feathering ...& i don't care what kind of gathering it is, people should act like they have some sense--furthermore, what's the point of making an outfit, being a dancer, and then coming to a powwow and hardly dancing, except for the dance which might put some money in your pocket?---it's ridiculous, and i'm sick of seeing it among my peers and..... lo and behold, this mentality passed right on down to their children...............not their fault b/c the judge voted 4 them? what a cop-out.......it doesn't justify or make right someone's stupidity...in many cases their wins may have been the result of slim pickings

p.s.-"sitting on your butt the majority of the time except for required things"-i guess all these dancers who travel across the nation & do this year round find no spirituality in these gatherings (east, west, north, south, contest or not)-they've got $$$ signs in their eyes---and again i say, if you feel this way, why even do it?

personally, i place more precedence on tribal history & working for my people than i do a powwow--but, i still respect it & the purpose of why it brings us all together--

Last edited by geronimo; 07-26-2004 at 12:38 PM..
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2004, 12:25 PM   #70
Junior Dancer

NDNGurl92782 has a spectacular aura about
As I said before I understand that different tribes have different traditions regarding eagle feathers, plume, and fans. But I've seen plenty of dancers where we could be at a "big" powwow where there are dancers there with "names" and these dancers will be all decked out. Then you see them next weekend at a now so big powwow where there aren't dancers with there with a "name" and these sancers don't wear half the stuff you seenthem wear the weekend before. Why? Because they think .. well there is noone here really that counts so I know I'm not gonna have to wear this or that and I'm not gonna have to dance nothing but contest. You should go to a powwow to dance to have fun. Not to go and say well nobody's here so what no dancing for me except what I have to dance. All I'm saying is go to have fun and it shouldn't always be about winning!!
NDNGurl92782 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #71
Junior Dancer

ndngurl, i agree with you 100%
Old 07-26-2004, 12:55 PM   #72
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
Nothing but the cash flow

It's all about the money. Thats it, plain and simple. I know a lot of dancers that go where the big bucks flow. All the big name dancers and big name drum groups, all have agreed, that its the money they follow. When was the last time you seen a powwow in its truest form, no money, no judges, just a social gathering. When is it also the last time you seen a big time drum group or dancer attend such events? You see. I'm sure we all have our stories of how we started young and innocent and thet we did it for the love, then money and contest came along a ruined it for us. Just look at it Gatherings, Denver, Schim, Julyamsh and the list goes on, we go to these powwows with money in our eyes not love or otherwise, just money. SO say what you want, you know its true, you me and everyone, well maybe except for gourd dancers, they ROCK! they don't compete with each other they just go to dance and participate my hats of to gourd dancers. :)

Last edited by Tiyospaye Yazzie; 07-26-2004 at 01:15 PM..
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #73
Junior Dancer

[QUOTE=little-ree][COLOR=Blue] In Nezbah's post, she values the dance arbor cuz she wuz taught 2 do so and so she's passing it down 2 her son.

nezbah also said........
1)To be a dancer, I was to represent who I was, my family, my tribe, and all the ones who cannot dance (i.e. elders, disabled, the sick, etc). Dancing was considered an honor. What happened to this way of teaching?

2)Its all about respect, honor, and pride
Old 07-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #74
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiyospaye Yazzie
It's all about the money. Thats it, plain and simple. I've know a lot of dancers go where the big bucks flow. All big name dancers and big name drum groups all have agreed that its the money they follow. When was the last time you seen a powwow in its truest form, no money, no judges, just a social gathering. When is it also the last time you seen a big time drum group or dancer attend such events? You see. I sure we all have our stories of how we started young and innocent and they we did it for the love, then money and contest came along a ruined it for us. Just look at it Gatherings, Denver, Schim, Julyamsh and the list goes on, we go to these powwows with money in our eyes not love or otherwise, just money. SO say what you want, you know its true, you me and everyone, well maybe except for gourd dancers, they ROCK! they don't compete with each other they just go to dance and participate to my hats of to gourd dancers. :)
you're so right, it is about the $$$!!!!
but there are those who still go just for the love, and come home with no prize $$$ but don't complain.....of course you drive to a contest hoping to win....but the clencher is how do you accept wins or defeat w/o becoming big-headed, jaded, bitter, obsessed with the $ factor........it's all about the attitude you approach it with.....
Old 10-10-2004, 10:29 PM   #75
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
been out of the pow wow lifestyle for about 3 years...ive picked up coastal dancing man its taught me so much. I dance with my canoe families at potlaches, events so on till i cant walk! When i dance its the only thing i put my whole heart and passion into. When i get my regalia together ill come out hopefully next summer. I cant wait. There are the tradish and contest pow wows if you dont like the contest one then dont go to them. I know its really unfair to see someone with a "name" get first and just dance contest and grand entry, but you know what deal with it. I would like to see changes but is it likely to happen with all the big money pow wows, competitive drum groups, dancers? Just have fun dont worry about what others get. You know why you dance. Those who dance for the money get it but thats about it.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #76
Senior Dancer

debbieyd is a name known to all
A M E N ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washakie Witch
If we are going to criticize behavior in the arbor my gripe would have to be going out to dance in an inter-tribal and having to avoid all the folks just standing around talking or just walking--not dancing. Not everyone has regalia, not everyone dances contest, and when I do get up to dance intertribals I like to be able to dance, not stop and start, stop and start. I do dance from the heart when I dance but there are plenty of people who get out there and don't do anything but stand out there or walk around talking to their gal pals so that folks can see them and be noticed.

The spectators you pow-wow committee folks like to bring in because of revenue, they get the show they come for. They see the Spikes during the Fancy Dance and the Paskemin's during Grass. I don't think they are keeping score of whether these guys dance full throttle during an inter-tribal or not. Just seeing them is a thrill. The snipers seem to be those who don't compete at the same level as these folks. So, I still have to come back to the apparent assumption by some who've posted here that any of these dancers who don't dance every dance aren't dancing from the heart. That's a pretty self-righteous, pompous attitude to have. But if it makes them feel superior to criticize the dancers in question, so be it. Like Jonathan Windy Boy said, there will always be those 'crabs in the bucket' that criticize, judge, find fault; it's just their way. He says all he can do (all any of us can do) is live his lives to the standard he's set for himself, without dwelling on the insecurities of others that makes them so negative and critical.
:wall: There are so many ppl out in this world who seem to be critics, but only because they refuse to look at their own malfunctions/shortchomings.....when I was a lil girl I loved dancing @ Montana powwows with our family, if anyone knows the Standing Rocks tell them the Yallup Family says hello!