Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk La Crosse Rendevous Pow Wow La Crosse Rendevous Pow Wow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
Keetaw

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wayani is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down La Crosse Rendevous Pow Wow

I went to the La Crosse Rendevous Pow Wow today in La Crosse, Indiana.

Maybe I'm just being over-critical, but here were my beefs with it:

Singing: I could sing better than the guys at the drums. (And probably keep a better beat than them, too.) I don't know who they were, if they were even tribal affiliated. It doesn't even matter to me if they were of another race; as long as they could sing. These guys definitely couldn't. And they sang... in ENGLISH.

Dancing: It took over an hour for the singers to practice their music, which made the dancing late. That's fine. But there wasn't anything other than co-ed dancing. No women's shawl. No Fancy. It just seemed a continuation of the grand entry.

Dressing: Again, I don't care if you're white, latino, cuban, or from LUXEMBOURG. If you're going to a pow wow to dance, you need to take pride in your outfit. You need to take pride in your dancing. You need to take pride in the people you are representing. These people had none of that. I know, it was hot out. But you're supposed to give everything your all.

This pow wow was poorly done. White people ran around dressed up in plastic feather headdresses and ornaments with no respect whatsoever to native pride. It was disgusting, and made me so angry and ashamed... even the people who I had taken along (my boyfriend and his best friend) laughed at everything going on, because it was so terribly taken care of. The tipis looked like they were made out of a material like cardboard. Old, smelly white men tried to hustle you to make you buy 50 $ arrowheads that they probably carved themselves out of stone.

I went to the Greensboro Native American Cultural Festival about 2 years ago. It was the BEST time I've ever had - anywhere. Bar none. Ulali was there to sing, everything ran smoothly, there was an audience there... and they got the people involved. Nobody was pretending to be anything they weren't.

I'm still stewing over the whole ordeal. What they made out to be a wonderful time, and an exciting opportunity to learn new people and more about customs was a complete hoax. I would never recommend anyone go anywhere near another "pow wow" that La Crosse, Indiana puts on.
Wayani is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2006, 05:37 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 73,457.11
Savings: 1.00
That'll teach you to go to a powwow in Indiana!!!

To those of you from Indiana who come on here regular...Jussss kiddin!lol

Guilford Native American Association always does everything first class! Goot people ober der.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
Um..... what'd ya expect?? #1....It's a "Harvest Moon Rendezvous"....... #2......it's in Indiana??????? I have lived here for like 7-8 yrs....... I've NEVER been to that.

There has been some ok powwows in Indiana. I'll say that much........ but for the most part I go to Chicago area.