PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   The last of my nation (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/last-my-nation-71364/)

TigerOwl 12-20-2018 01:00 AM

The last of my nation

I grow up hearing stories about my nation it's great members and it was always what I wanted to be. But then I grow up and realized that there wasn't any more of us around. The rest of my family identifies as White except for my black stepfather who doesn't believe White people exist.

It's what I call a second nation. A native american culture that sprang up after european contact as opposed to European culture transplanted to America. A mixture europeans going native and brings the Age of Enlightenment with them and Indians culturally appropriating :tounge_sm European methods.
Speaking of cultural appropriation, We had a way to protect the parts of our cultural we didn't want to share with others, It's call secret societies. What is shared in public is for the betterment of all mankind. We didn't accept the European concept of intellectual property being exclusive domain of it's creator I don't think we would by the idea that intellectual property is the exclusive domain of it's users.
faux'oponopono is Cultural Appropriation the Luau themed party is not.

I grow up in Alaska and hanged out with Native Alaskans.

As James Fallon said "The harsh physical environment is vary conductive to peace. And this is why Burning Man should never be held anywhere other than the Playa up in Northern Nevada. If it was held in a vary nice place, people would be fighting all the time. But up there, yo got to be good to each other."

Being indifferent, let alone actively hostile, is a luxury you can't afford in Alaska. If your car breaks down on the side of the road the nest 2-3 people will stop to help. If you don't help that stranger when you can then they will die and there will be no one to help you when you're in need.

Now compare that to not supporting public welfare that would benefit yourself because the unworthy would get it too.
Not helping someone if it is a disadvantage to you is at lest understandable. But to disadvantage yourself just to spite someone?

Like the Amish there is reluctance to adopt many conveniences of modern technology and you want as little as possible.
Alaskan don't have utilities and they fight against having them put in.
There are homeless not because they can't afford a house but because they don't want one.
Now this is where the temperature drops down to 14F and people are killed by the wildlife in the downtown of the largest city.

Places make feeding the public illegal because it encourages the homeless. In Alaska being homeless is just being a hardcore Sourdough. Of course we have Universal Basic Income so we don't have beggars.

In Alaska businesses have signs saying "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone." and you can carry a gun into any business without a problem in the South they have to pass laws to not do business with people the signs say "No Weapons allowed" I get hassled over my Kirpan

The Culture shock of moving to mainstream America is extreme.

I can't relate to anyone, the culture is just to different and plus I'm Autistic so that doesn't help either.

I don't have any community to belong to I'm a de facto Stateless person. I need to find a nation to which I can belong.

Anyone know of any nation that practices Restorative Justice and is currently accepting new membership?
preferably one that doesn't exercise power to intentionally harm (psychologically), hurt (physically), or destroy (mortally or spiritually) others and to commit crimes against humanity.
I know they used to exist like the Iroquois Confederacy or the Sikh Empire. But they are very skilled at westernizing cultures

I once read a quote by explorers in South America, it when something like, "You call them Noble Savages but their goodness comes from being trained in it from a very young age"

I'll probably go with Japan since my fiance is Japanese. Thou they don't tolerate Acculturation, you have to have the same tatemae(public facade) as any native Japanese and keep your hon'ne hidden away from the Japanese.

For now I just work on conserving my Nation's culture and package it as a digital artifact that teaches one our ways and try to start a fraternal order, I don't advertise it as a Native American group because to most people Native American means Noble Savages and like my Namesake found out when they find out you're contaminated by civilization they'll feel betrayed.

subeeds 12-20-2018 02:45 AM

What Nation are you the last of?

TigerOwl 12-20-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeeds (Post 1638324)
What Nation are you the last of?

The traditional name we called ourselves was 'Americans' sorry I don't have a cryptic phonetic transcription of some exotic tongue. But as was Asian-American tradition of the time it was the meaning that was the name not the pronunciation. We also called ourselves, "Colombians" when we wanted to differentiate ourselves from the Euro-Americans

AmigoKumeyaay 12-27-2018 06:47 PM

Last BUT NOT LEAST! Go out like a Super Nova Star!