PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/)
-   -   off beat (http://forums.powwows.com/f11/off-beat-28469/)

dad 08-09-2005 02:22 AM

off beat

there was a time that you have to stay on beat when you dance to place, but now days i guess that it don't matter.
i go and watch dancer compeat and they go off beat bad, not just ever once in awhile but throught the whole song and they still get first. mean while there are some othere dancer a just a good but they get lower place. now i cant get mad a the dancers but come on people when you judge you should look at this and pick the better dancers not the name or who they are.. but this powwow and i guess it's not how you dance but who you know..

Pvt Butter 08-09-2005 02:26 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this too. I see fancy shawl dancers that are beautiful, but can't find the beat let alone hold the beat.

princessrain11 08-09-2005 02:31 AM

hah yeah for realz its funny to watch but everyone know the winners are usually by their "names" or who they know... its all good tho

LSS 08-09-2005 10:18 AM

Just goes to show....

Just goes to show that not everyone knows what in the hell they're doing out there. People who about the dance and what to look for should be out there.....judging that is.

kneegrow_native 08-09-2005 02:20 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I explained to my daughter that the first thing she needed to learn was how to dance in beat, then she could work on the rest.

Nezbah 08-09-2005 03:00 PM

LOL......only if there was a perfect powwow world.....

It used to be that if you missed a beat or overstepped a beat that you would have to disqualify yourself or give up like your bustle or something. That was considered the honorable way. But this hasn't been seen in some time. I remember a post from last year that someone was dancing, he overstepped a beat then took off his bustle and honored another younger person with that bustle. And I think I remember in this year's GON in the Men's grassdance special I believe it was Darrell (correct me if I am wrong) that had missed a beat and he removed himself from the contest. But the judges and the committee made him continue to dance, then he won. Even though it was not his fault and to the discretion of the judges/family/committee, it was nice to see a dancer do the 'honorable' way. I remember pointing out to my son, thats how your suppose to be, if you miss a beat you disqualify yourself. Am I wrong? I dunno, that's the way I was taught. I just wish there were more dancers out there that care more about this than 'winning' or 'money'. *S*. Like I said.......if there was a perfect powwow world....LOL

Tiyospaye Yazzie 08-09-2005 03:55 PM

The Best

Nobody does it better than Navajos. I've seen contestant fall flat on their butts and faces and yet still be able to take first. When I judge I score on both songs, if someone messes up during one contest song they still get a lower score even if they did do good on the second(2 + 2 =4, not 1 + 2 =4). I think most -not all- score on the second or last contest song leaving the first, well, scoreless.

vince_j 08-09-2005 04:14 PM

Ballot Signatures

There was also a time when Judges would print their name and sign their ballots. Then, someone would review the ballots and ensure that everything is on the up and up.

I see Committee folks just enter numbers into the computer and that's that.

What can you do? (rhetoric)

Pvt Butter 08-09-2005 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janell
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this too. I see fancy shawl dancers that are beautiful, but can't find the beat let alone hold the beat.

okay, I'll name her by name. *name edited* . She is so beautiful and starts off really well, but is it just my eyes that see her feet can't keep up with the drum? Does she do that on purpose? I'm not hating here...just trying to keep up with the trends. I was taught that that drum is our heart beat and that we dance in sync with its beat. Tell me it's my imagination.

TTMNO 08-10-2005 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dad
there was a time that you have to stay on beat when you dance to place, but now days i guess that it don't matter.
i go and watch dancer compeat and they go off beat bad, not just ever once in awhile but throught the whole song and they still get first. mean while there are some othere dancer a just a good but they get lower place. now i cant get mad a the dancers but come on people when you judge you should look at this and pick the better dancers not the name or who they are.. but this powwow and i guess it's not how you dance but who you know..

A thread after my own heart.

ccreek10 08-10-2005 11:15 AM

I was at the Trump 29 powwow last year and saw this one southern golden age lady walk out after their contest song. The drum they were dancing to sang some kind of funky song and all the ladies stopped and the song went on. Some even stopped twice during the song. She did the honorable thing by stepping out but I over heard some of the people tell her that this was a point system powwow and she should have stayed in. Aren't most powwows nowadays on the point system?

jones 08-10-2005 01:00 PM

It's tough to walk off during a contest when you know you screwed up - even though it's the honorable thing to do. I've done it before with alot at stake. I still placed. I didn't feel any better, but it was the way I was taught.

Wojapi4Me 08-10-2005 03:06 PM

Don't Crow male dancers dance what we would consider "off the beat"? I'm not saying they can't keep beat, I'm saying that's how they dance isn't it?

Also, not cool to name a dancer publically and say she can't keep a beat. I've seen her dance plenty of times and she's always been in beat. Maybe you caught her on an off day.

billyjoejimbob 08-10-2005 05:43 PM

Ive heard people say dance to the song, not the beat.

Kakeeya 08-10-2005 07:07 PM

Please remove my friends name from your post Janell. Or mods can you delete it? Thanks

Kiwehnzii 08-10-2005 10:54 PM

I second Kakeeya's post.

jingle-babygirl 08-10-2005 11:22 PM

judging

i haven't danced for a while since i hurt my ankle...but anyways i think that judging which i have done this past summer i judge on whether a dancer is keeping time, stop on time and if the dancer is dancing the style decent...and i have choosen dancers in my order and the dancers who was off would win 1st or 2nd and i would be like that is not right cause there were dancers who were dancing good and was on beat..so i don't think that is right!!

Boomsgirl 08-10-2005 11:33 PM

woah....Hey I agree w/ ya Janell...she also has a rep for bein quite snotty! Thats why I think its ok u said her name..otherwize, if their dancing from tha heart, who cares??

Kakeeya 08-11-2005 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boomsgirl
woah....Hey I agree w/ ya Janell...she also has a rep for bein quite snotty! Thats why I think its ok u said her name..otherwize, if their dancing from tha heart, who cares??

You must not know her because she's a very nice and respectful young lady, someone that always has good words and a smile. She is a well deserved champion dancer and doesn't deserve to be slammed on here.

Anyway this isn't NDN sports.

Pvt Butter 08-11-2005 03:45 PM

HULLO...I didn't slam anyone. I just said are my eyes not seeing what they should? I see her dance offbeat. I watch her. She's beautiful. Yes, she's nice, but are we judging for being nice or on-beat? I was told that ultimately the contest is between the dancer and the drum. If a dancer can't stay on beat - I guess the drum wins.

As for any other style of dancing that dances on the up beat rather than the down beat...well, educate us. Is fancy dancing one of those styles? Is this the trend of fancy shawl dancing? Is *name edited for a second time....* a trend setter?

sheesh. When I judge and have friends dancing I still judge fairly. It'd be nice to know your face and to know I don't have a chance when you are judging b/c you are judging based on your friendship rather than on dancing ability. People like you should not be judging.