Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 02:22 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dad is on a distinguished road
Credits: 300.00
Savings: 0.00
off beat

there was a time that you have to stay on beat when you dance to place, but now days i guess that it don't matter.
i go and watch dancer compeat and they go off beat bad, not just ever once in awhile but throught the whole song and they still get first. mean while there are some othere dancer a just a good but they get lower place. now i cant get mad a the dancers but come on people when you judge you should look at this and pick the better dancers not the name or who they are.. but this powwow and i guess it's not how you dance but who you know..
dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 02:26 AM   #2
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this too. I see fancy shawl dancers that are beautiful, but can't find the beat let alone hold the beat.
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 02:31 AM   #3
i love lamp

princessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond reputeprincessrain11 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 848.43
hah yeah for realz its funny to watch but everyone know the winners are usually by their "names" or who they know... its all good tho
Old 08-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
Taskahoi Atsuti

LSS has a reputation beyond repute
LSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond reputeLSS has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 278.94
Just goes to show....

Just goes to show that not everyone knows what in the hell they're doing out there. People who about the dance and what to look for should be out there.....judging that is.
To get a true picture of your purpose in life, you only get the whole picture when you listen with your mind, your ears and your heart. This way The Creator has a direct connection with you and only you...no outside interference.

When you follow the will of IT that created you, understanding that your purpose is not for you...but for IT and all that IT has created, there can be no wrong except failure to be obedient. Only then do we jeopardize the gifts we are given.

Its not the final destination that defines us, rather the journey taken!
LSS is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I explained to my daughter that the first thing she needed to learn was how to dance in beat, then she could work on the rest.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:00 PM   #6
Peace n Mutton Grease

Nezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Nezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond reputeNezbah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 511.00
LOL......only if there was a perfect powwow world.....

It used to be that if you missed a beat or overstepped a beat that you would have to disqualify yourself or give up like your bustle or something. That was considered the honorable way. But this hasn't been seen in some time. I remember a post from last year that someone was dancing, he overstepped a beat then took off his bustle and honored another younger person with that bustle. And I think I remember in this year's GON in the Men's grassdance special I believe it was Darrell (correct me if I am wrong) that had missed a beat and he removed himself from the contest. But the judges and the committee made him continue to dance, then he won. Even though it was not his fault and to the discretion of the judges/family/committee, it was nice to see a dancer do the 'honorable' way. I remember pointing out to my son, thats how your suppose to be, if you miss a beat you disqualify yourself. Am I wrong? I dunno, that's the way I was taught. I just wish there were more dancers out there that care more about this than 'winning' or 'money'. *S*. Like I said.......if there was a perfect powwow world....LOL

EMAIL ME for GON 2014 Special Hotel, Air, and Car Rates...limited availability. Powwow special rates across the US and Canada. I also offer great vacation, business, and specialty fares to every destination in the world! Email for the rates
[email protected]
Nezbah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Tiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond reputeTiyospaye Yazzie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,154.33
The Best

Nobody does it better than Navajos. I've seen contestant fall flat on their butts and faces and yet still be able to take first. When I judge I score on both songs, if someone messes up during one contest song they still get a lower score even if they did do good on the second(2 + 2 =4, not 1 + 2 =4). I think most -not all- score on the second or last contest song leaving the first, well, scoreless.
Tiyospaye Yazzie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 04:14 PM   #8
To'di'cheeni / Taa'ba'haa

vince_j has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Ballot Signatures

There was also a time when Judges would print their name and sign their ballots. Then, someone would review the ballots and ensure that everything is on the up and up.

I see Committee folks just enter numbers into the computer and that's that.

What can you do? (rhetoric)
"We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~
vince_j is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janell
I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices this too. I see fancy shawl dancers that are beautiful, but can't find the beat let alone hold the beat.

okay, I'll name her by name. *name edited* . She is so beautiful and starts off really well, but is it just my eyes that see her feet can't keep up with the drum? Does she do that on purpose? I'm not hating here...just trying to keep up with the trends. I was taught that that drum is our heart beat and that we dance in sync with its beat. Tell me it's my imagination.

Last edited by Mato Winyan; 08-11-2005 at 12:25 AM..
Old 08-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #10
NDN MD

TTMNO has a spectacular aura about
Savings: 263.90
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad
there was a time that you have to stay on beat when you dance to place, but now days i guess that it don't matter.
i go and watch dancer compeat and they go off beat bad, not just ever once in awhile but throught the whole song and they still get first. mean while there are some othere dancer a just a good but they get lower place. now i cant get mad a the dancers but come on people when you judge you should look at this and pick the better dancers not the name or who they are.. but this powwow and i guess it's not how you dance but who you know..
A thread after my own heart.
TTMNO is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

ccreek10 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was at the Trump 29 powwow last year and saw this one southern golden age lady walk out after their contest song. The drum they were dancing to sang some kind of funky song and all the ladies stopped and the song went on. Some even stopped twice during the song. She did the honorable thing by stepping out but I over heard some of the people tell her that this was a point system powwow and she should have stayed in. Aren't most powwows nowadays on the point system?
ccreek10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #12
PowWows.com Addicts

jones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 52.32
It's tough to walk off during a contest when you know you screwed up - even though it's the honorable thing to do. I've done it before with alot at stake. I still placed. I didn't feel any better, but it was the way I was taught.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 03:06 PM   #13
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Don't Crow male dancers dance what we would consider "off the beat"? I'm not saying they can't keep beat, I'm saying that's how they dance isn't it?

Also, not cool to name a dancer publically and say she can't keep a beat. I've seen her dance plenty of times and she's always been in beat. Maybe you caught her on an off day.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:43 PM   #14
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Ive heard people say dance to the song, not the beat.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 07:07 PM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Please remove my friends name from your post Janell. Or mods can you delete it? Thanks
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I second Kakeeya's post.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

jingle-babygirl is a jewel in the rough
Location: here...there...i can't remember..but some where up north
judging

i haven't danced for a while since i hurt my ankle...but anyways i think that judging which i have done this past summer i judge on whether a dancer is keeping time, stop on time and if the dancer is dancing the style decent...and i have choosen dancers in my order and the dancers who was off would win 1st or 2nd and i would be like that is not right cause there were dancers who were dancing good and was on beat..so i don't think that is right!!
jingle-babygirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Boomsgirl is infamous around these parts
woah....Hey I agree w/ ya Janell...she also has a rep for bein quite snotty! Thats why I think its ok u said her name..otherwize, if their dancing from tha heart, who cares??
Boomsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomsgirl
woah....Hey I agree w/ ya Janell...she also has a rep for bein quite snotty! Thats why I think its ok u said her name..otherwize, if their dancing from tha heart, who cares??
You must not know her because she's a very nice and respectful young lady, someone that always has good words and a smile. She is a well deserved champion dancer and doesn't deserve to be slammed on here.

Anyway this isn't NDN sports.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #20
pancake flipper

HULLO...I didn't slam anyone. I just said are my eyes not seeing what they should? I see her dance offbeat. I watch her. She's beautiful. Yes, she's nice, but are we judging for being nice or on-beat? I was told that ultimately the contest is between the dancer and the drum. If a dancer can't stay on beat - I guess the drum wins.

As for any other style of dancing that dances on the up beat rather than the down beat...well, educate us. Is fancy dancing one of those styles? Is this the trend of fancy shawl dancing? Is *name edited for a second time....* a trend setter?

sheesh. When I judge and have friends dancing I still judge fairly. It'd be nice to know your face and to know I don't have a chance when you are judging b/c you are judging based on your friendship rather than on dancing ability. People like you should not be judging.

Last edited by Mato Winyan; 08-11-2005 at 04:36 PM..
Sponsored Links