Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk off beat off beat

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #41
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond reputejones has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 52.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams4u
I feel like that IF THE DRUM can stay on beat themselves! But at the same time judges should know what to look for. I move around when I judge. Better yet, have a song for the judges to see if they can dance and know what they're doing!!!! Wouldn't that be a switch? I know of a jingle dancer that dances the same speed and off beat no matter what the beat of the drum is and still wins. I've heard some complaints and asking for another song was legit so it works both ways. I applaud those dancers that disqualify themselves when they mess up. That's one of the ugly things about this point sytem. I'll probably get slammed for my views but...............
that's a good idea. Doesn't it annoy you to have a judge you know has NEVER danced, sing or anything in their life? Not that they can't be a good judge, but they have no idea what it takes to keep up the footwork to a lousey song or song that's speeding up, let alone the weight of the beadwork you're wearing, etc.
jones is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 AM   #42
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Angry This Makes No Sense

So if you are posting "who's ur favorite dancer" it's alright to name names, but if you are analyzing dance styles, syncopation, rhythm and beat you cannot name names.

hmmm, wasn't like I bashed anyone's character or said anything mean about anyone. I didn't say someone was mean or trashy - just that they don't keep the beat when they dance. I didn't even say that they can't keep the beat when they dance, just that they don't and that contradicts the dance protocol I learned since I could learn.

Sorry to the feelings I hurt. Thank you to those who see what I see.

One side of the coin is fav dancer, the other side is least fav.

I dance hard and with all my heart. When I judge, I take everything into consideration, but first and foremost I look at the dancers timing. I'd pick a dancer with no beadwork who was kicking butt in time to the drum with killer moves over a "b" lister with mediocre beadwork who doesn't keep up with the drum. However, if this other person kept up with the drum, then they would definitely have my vote b/c they have awright moves.

now I see what it takes to win. It's not how good you dance, but who you party with.

And now I will be penalized for speaking my mind.

Last edited by Janell; 08-19-2005 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: too busy dancing in beat
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2005, 04:34 PM   #43
dreams4u

dreams4u is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 0.00

Last edited by dreams4u; 02-09-2006 at 04:15 PM..
dreams4u is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #44
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
guess it all comes down to the AD who actually picks the judges...and the tabulators who tally the numbers to weed out these judges who continually pick dancer who are so the speak not up the par or all smoke and mirrors...pick people who will actually look at the dancers as a whole not just a part or on size - irks me when taller children who can't dance well beat out smaller children who can dance well...

it is quite annoying to see people beat out other dancers becuase of their name or regalia - over people who dance hard and who might not have the cash to really put into their regalia (let's face it - IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE)...

then people might say it comes down to the whole picture - did this person put the time into their regalia and keep beat and have footwork opposed to the guy/girl with the cut bead everythang and satin this and that and all the sequins in the world and who couldn't find the bead to save their life - and to boot they're a nice guy/girl to everyone they meet....
Old 08-19-2005, 06:54 PM   #45
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones
You have to look and compare dancers too, so you aren't focusing on one dancer at a time. I do that whether I'm judging with a ballot or looking on from the sidelines. When the song stops, how can you tell which dancer stops on time or oversteps if you are looking at each dancer singularly. You have to focus on them for a few seconds - undivided, but you need to see the whole picture too. An offbeat dancers stands out because they are bobbing when everyone else is weaving.
Sorry......didn't mean to give the impression that one would be singled out and looked at the whole time when I said..... pick one out of a crowd.... I meant....when the are all bunched up you can't look at one to see how they were compared to others.
When I judge I move..... look at them at a whole then try to see if any stand out......... if I see any....... then I try to keep an eye on them.........I move........scan the crowd again to see if any are on the mark now but just had a slow start. (And yeah......I always watch for the "bobbers".)

when it comes to last beat............ I have the ones I've been watching and try to get them all in view and try to make sure I'm at a good angle to see if any over step. That is when sometimes we need the second song just to take the ones that seemed to stand out from the crowd to see what they can do then. Hope that clears it up for ya.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:03 AM   #46
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,500.71

Last edited by ac_miss; 08-20-2005 at 12:25 AM..
ac_miss is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2005, 12:33 AM   #47
Happy Beading Woman

ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
ac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond reputeac_miss has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 12,500.71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janell
So if you are posting "who's ur favorite dancer" it's alright to name names, but if you are analyzing dance styles, syncopation, rhythm and beat you cannot name names.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 08-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #48
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Old 08-21-2005, 04:40 AM   #49
Warrior Woman

biggurlbrain is just really nice
Cool over stepping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezbah
LOL......only if there was a perfect powwow world.....

It used to be that if you missed a beat or overstepped a beat that you would have to disqualify yourself or give up like your bustle or something. That was considered the honorable way. But this hasn't been seen in some time. I remember a post from last year that someone was dancing, he overstepped a beat then took off his bustle and honored another younger person with that bustle. And I think I remember in this year's GON in the Men's grassdance special I believe it was Darrell (correct me if I am wrong) that had missed a beat and he removed himself from the contest. But the judges and the committee made him continue to dance, then he won. Even though it was not his fault and to the discretion of the judges/family/committee, it was nice to see a dancer do the 'honorable' way. I remember pointing out to my son, thats how your suppose to be, if you miss a beat you disqualify yourself. Am I wrong? I dunno, that's the way I was taught. I just wish there were more dancers out there that care more about this than 'winning' or 'money'. *S*. Like I said.......if there was a perfect powwow world....LOL

i remember that. it's been quite awhile since i've seen anything like that happen. used to be that if anything fell off your outfit it meant automatic disqualification for that round. i mean like a braid tie or bells, not the feathers. i was much too young to understand how the actual contest was determined though! lol for sure now most powwows do point system which is the main reason lots of people race to first grand entry because it is the most points.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:46 PM   #50
pancake flipper

Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Pvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond reputePvt Butter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggurlbrain
i remember that. it's been quite awhile since i've seen anything like that happen. used to be that if anything fell off your outfit it meant automatic disqualification for that round. i mean like a braid tie or bells, not the feathers. i was much too young to understand how the actual contest was determined though! lol for sure now most powwows do point system which is the main reason lots of people race to first grand entry because it is the most points.
maybe dancers were better and the race was so tight that it took disqualification to determine the winner???? Or maybe people didn't depend on powwowing for paycheck and/or the level of competitor/judge integrity was different. All I remember is that offbeat dancing was rookie and was a phase that was eventually outgrown.
Pvt Butter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 AM   #51
Jing-a-ling Shook-shook

kiiyaaniiasdzaa is just really nice
off beat dancers

It's not fair when they win; the one that really takes the cake is they stop early, like during the 3rd push up!! I've seen many do that?
I guess its how popular you are,the more your known...more dough!!
kiiyaaniiasdzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #52
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Don't Crow male dancers dance what we would consider "off the beat"? I'm not saying they can't keep beat, I'm saying that's how they dance isn't it?

Also, not cool to name a dancer publically and say she can't keep a beat. I've seen her dance plenty of times and she's always been in beat. Maybe you caught her on an off day.
YES! Very true Singerdad, Crows do dance "off beat"....it's been that way for as long as i've known. I've also noticed there are some natives up in canada that dance round dance on the off beat, and that's their style.

I think it's important for people who are judging to be well rounded & knowledgeable of these kinds of things. Then again the competition powwow has changed a lot & has set up rules across the board that people judge on regardless of the specifics of a style.....conformity at it's finest!

example: i was at a powwow where the MC was talking about womens traditional & stated that ALL women dancers raise their fan on the honor beats which is NOT TRUE....well the judges went by that statement, & that just goes to show they had no clue what they were judging on in the 1st place!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 PM   #53
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
hey we should implement a *strike a pose* rule for the last beat. lol, some nuts, women and men will tap their foot or something cheezy on the last beat and keep walking. lol, *just in case* it wasnt the last beat. i seen all kinds of things that are semi cheating. like posing but keep their heads moving... hey dammit! you cant do that...! or theyll pretend to take a loooong step like it was intentionial. or the imfamous short short pause and keep moving thing. then act all nonchalant while you head for the water or line up.

cheeeezzy man.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #54
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
i want some commitment on the endings.

like BAM!! yep, that was the last beat and this is who i am!!

something like that...

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 PM   #55
Warrior Woman

Talking Now that u point it out,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy
i want some commitment on the endings.

like BAM!! yep, that was the last beat and this is who i am!!

something like that...
usually when i see something like that happening (covering up a misstep, incorporating a move, playing it off,.....) i just point my finger and start laughing.

jks. but i do usually point it out to who ever i'm sitting with. i think powwow is a spectator sport.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:58 PM   #56
Warrior Woman

Talking i agree with u,...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin pantyhose
YES! Very true Singerdad, Crows do dance "off beat"....it's been that way for as long as i've known. I've also noticed there are some natives up in canada that dance round dance on the off beat, and that's their style.

I think it's important for people who are judging to be well rounded & knowledgeable of these kinds of things. Then again the competition powwow has changed a lot & has set up rules across the board that people judge on regardless of the specifics of a style.....conformity at it's finest!

example: i was at a powwow where the MC was talking about womens traditional & stated that ALL women dancers raise their fan on the honor beats which is NOT TRUE....well the judges went by that statement, & that just goes to show they had no clue what they were judging on in the 1st place!
yeah i kinda' urks me when you're sitting in your lawn chair, and u hear the people sitting next to u (u don't know them) and they're just jazzing on some dancer that is just totally screwing up the dance style. i see it alot when ask the ladies fancy to do crow style, not crow hop. i like to ask alot of questions when i see a dance style that i am not familiar with. as a side note, i was down at Crow fair last year and i was watching the Crow men dance. (go figure) i really noticed this one move they make, they distinctly move their faces to either the left or right while they are moving forward. when i get back up here i am driving down the road and notice this crow (the bird) walking down the side of the road and damn if it wasn't the same move that the Crow men make. lol it was an ephinany,.....crow style. sometimes i'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #57
pixstar

pixstar will become famous soon enough
ya i remember seeing dancer's walk off the floor for missin the beat, or droppin a part of their regalia
pixstar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 06:18 PM   #58
Tiny Tot Dancer

churrakeesweetheart has a spectacular aura about
There are dancers that start off on the wrong beat, and jump on the right one during the down beats. These ones make me scratch my head and maybe give em a chance if they are really good. but the offbeat ones that downbeats have no effect on, they keep on going all jolly? makes me scratch my head and hang it in shame... also gotta keep in mind, like at G.O.N, sometimes the acoustics are so darn terrible you can't tell one beat from the next...i also like to hear drums that change beat once in a while, to see which dancers can automatically switch without hearing hearing the downbeat....that says a lot to me about skill.
churrakeesweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #59
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
HAHAHAHA!!! Finishing moves are the greatest!! My sis & i joke each other about what our pose would be, like InjunBoy said "BAM!"...or damn it'd be keen to bust a move & break it down on the honor beats, but that might be a lil hard since we dance womans tradish....might not recover from that lil episode!

At Crow Fair during the mens grass contest this dude wearing an old school outfit was really gettin down & before he realized it his breechcloth (which was tied to his waste w/a belt) FELL OFF!! Thankfully he was wearing a unionsuit, it was soooo funny!! He didnt even stop dancing, when he looked down & saw it was gone he danced over to it, bent down, still tapping his foot on beat, picked it up & put it back on....all while he was STILL DANCING!! He didnt walk off or anything......HILARIOUS!
Old 10-28-2005, 02:29 AM   #60
Pow Wow Visitor

SIDV is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob
Ive heard people say dance to the song, not the beat.
the song is the beat. You must not dance much or sing for that matter
SIDV is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links